Home

Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

This is a discussion on Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #217
MVP
 
OVR: 27
Join Date: Oct 2008
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
I'm always going to keep up with technology so as soon as the next Ps3 and Xbox are available I will have one w/o a doubt...Part of the problem with this generation was too many people stayed with the old Xbox and Ps2...I have no idea how people can do that but I'm definitely not a gamer that wants to live in the past...When technology moves forward...I'm going with it...
I don't think a lot of people were impressed enough with PS3/360 to have the same craze like we saw last generation. I personally don't feel the games have advanced enough, and I think part of it was that the developers weren't ready for the jump and have been playing catch-up ever since. Just look at developers who excelled with last gen's technology who are totally failing with this gen's technology... even with the same teams who made games last gen. The lesson here is that you don't move up when you're not ready. Console makers have to not be hasty next time around.

I think last gen should've lasted about 2 more years while devs got more time to figure this thing out. But I think what we're seeing is a change in the overall quality of the industry. I think gone are the days of quality first. I get the feeling that we're going to see a future of more broken games being released and more faulty consoles hitting the market. People seem to keep buying them in droves anyway, lol. The consumer is just as much at fault for this as the industry.

I'll tell you one thing though, my gaming has decreased an awful lot over the past two generations and I'm almost done with this whole thing. You've got companies making these exclusive deals ruining the market (Football), games so broken they should never be released (Madden 08), games with promise that get killed by dumb decisions (Madden 09, no CPU sliders)... even the judgement of these developers is unwise these days. Even 2K--the geniuses--completely lost their minds with APF. When that happened, I knew I was truly in the middle of a nightmare, lol.
TheWatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #218
MVP
 
OVR: 27
Join Date: Oct 2008
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
Naw...I think your going overboard with your analogies...Its not over...Hell..it hasn't even begun...EA simply needs a different approach on how they want Madden to be accepted...Currently its more of a game for everybody...and that's not a bad thing for sales but its definitely a bad thing for hardcore cats who want a higher level of realism...Thats just cold hard facts of life re Madden.

I would also venture to say while Ian probably wants a game that has great appeal to the hardcore gamer the EA brass will not ever sacrifice sales to appease the very few of us in communities across the net who want the Best elements of Gameplay, Presentation and graphics of NFL2K5 combined Madden 2009.

So at the end of the day I truly believe Ian and his crew want to make each of us happy with a total simulation of the NFL but the dev cycle coupled with the corporate fiscal realities calls for a more approachable game for ALL GAMERS that will keep this game on the top of all sales charts.

Its a sad but true situation
Actually, I don't think Guillotine is going overboard at all. I think most would agree with him. For some people, it really is over because they can't take it anymore. For me personally, 2010 is a make or break year. If it's not there, I won't even be renting Madden first anymore, lol. I'll be playing someone else's for free and that'll be after I've played the demo... and THEN I'll rent it IF I like it after those two steps. Yep, it's going to be that many trials first before a purchase will even be possible if 2010 is not right, because I'm not going to keep paying for mediocrity and blunders.

The fact is, they're not making a game that accurately represents Pro Football. I sometimes wonder if they even realize it because the issues go unchanged year after year and I have to believe that they're capable of correcting these things. Almost everything goes wrong from the huddle, to the line up, to the end of the play and back. It's not football. But it was this way with last gen Madden, too.

Last gen had more stuff, and wasn't a broken mess every year, but it had some of the same issues that the current generation does, and it too suffered from failing to be an accurate representation of Pro Football starting with the player models, to the way they huddled and lined up.

This is not about appeasing the hardcore. This is about the developers making a Pro Football game that looks and plays like Pro Football, and much of what it's missing are basics. Like I said, the players don't even huddle or line-up correctly. There just comes a point where you have to ask where a company's commitment to excellence is, and when basics are missing or wrong for many years, the answer is clear. Just look at the basics and see that they're not there. That says it all.

If they came out with a game that got all of these things right (and they are capable of doing just that), it's not going to scare casual gamers away, lol. Casuals either won't care or they will just take it in as part of the picture. You don't choose to steer away from accuracy and excellence just because you know your biggest sales base won't get all giddy about it, you create accuracy and excellence because that's supposed to be your uncompromising goal. It's not even something that should be debatable. If its not a person's goal, then it's time for that person to re-evaluate just what the hell they're in something for.
TheWatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #219
Rookie
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Mar 2008
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Put a fork in em, BOOM
TahJay561 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #220
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

I keep telling myself Madden hasn't fulfilled my football expectations, but there isn't anything I can do to change the past. My only hope is with new leadership, Ian and Phil will turn this ship around and let it set sail.

I'm lowering my expectations for 10 because I know all the things I want in 10 won't appear.

It's a wait and see approach for me.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #221
Rookie
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Dec 2008
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
Naw...I think your going overboard with your analogies...Its not over...Hell..it hasn't even begun...EA simply needs a different approach on how they want Madden to be accepted...Currently its more of a game for everybody...and that's not a bad thing for sales but its definitely a bad thing for hardcore cats who want a higher level of realism...Thats just cold hard facts of life re Madden.

I would also venture to say while Ian probably wants a game that has great appeal to the hardcore gamer the EA brass will not ever sacrifice sales to appease the very few of us in communities across the net who want the Best elements of Gameplay, Presentation and graphics of NFL2K5 combined Madden 2009.

So at the end of the day I truly believe Ian and his crew want to make each of us happy with a total simulation of the NFL but the dev cycle coupled with the corporate fiscal realities calls for a more approachable game for ALL GAMERS that will keep this game on the top of all sales charts.

Its a sad but true situation
I wish that I could agree with you on this, but in my opinion you're putting your love for the game ahead of whats really going on with EA and Madden.

Look, if EA wanted to give a "true" NFL experience they would do it. Instead they are more interested in cornering the market.

Just for the record; the worst thing to happen to Football games is when the NFL issued "exclusive" rights to EA. This has absolutely allowed EA to take advantage and basically repackage the same game year after year after year.

My point is...If we want the BEST football sim then competition must be upheld. We were getting the best football we could have gotten from both 2k and Madden when they were both making NFL games. THE VERY MOMENT that EA went exclusive is when we began to see the repackaging and over advertising.

C'mon man, you have to see this. Madden 09 is the same exact game that we've been playing except with the change of buttons, new animations etc. This is the 3rd or 4th installment of the franchise on next gen machines and we're still playing this game on last gen physics.

Its unfortunate to say, but EA is not pushing Madden to the limits because there's no competition that they need to worry about in order for them to put out the best product possible. Most of us grew up with Madden and also was around during its Zenith of gameplay and popularity. EA is seriously exploiting that situation, on top of getting the new young gamers because they dont have a choice of what game to play...there's only madden.

If we want to save Football this Generation two things needs to happen.

EA's exclusive rights must end.

Madden implement a new physics engine.

I think that if those two things were to happen at this very moment then Madden 2010 and NFL 2k10 would be the best football games we would have ever played or layed eyes on.
Villain_the_foe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #222
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain_the_foe
I wish that I could agree with you on this, but in my opinion you're putting your love for the game ahead of whats really going on with EA and Madden.

Look, if EA wanted to give a "true" NFL experience they would do it. Instead they are more interested in cornering the market.

Just for the record; the worst thing to happen to Football games is when the NFL issued "exclusive" rights to EA. This has absolutely allowed EA to take advantage and basically repackage the same game year after year after year.

My point is...If we want the BEST football sim then competition must be upheld. We were getting the best football we could have gotten from both 2k and Madden when they were both making NFL games. THE VERY MOMENT that EA went exclusive is when we began to see the repackaging and over advertising.

C'mon man, you have to see this. Madden 09 is the same exact game that we've been playing except with the change of buttons, new animations etc. This is the 3rd or 4th installment of the franchise on next gen machines and we're still playing this game on last gen physics.

Its unfortunate to say, but EA is not pushing Madden to the limits because there's no competition that they need to worry about in order for them to put out the best product possible. Most of us grew up with Madden and also was around during its Zenith of gameplay and popularity. EA is seriously exploiting that situation, on top of getting the new young gamers because they dont have a choice of what game to play...there's only madden.

If we want to save Football this Generation two things needs to happen.

EA's exclusive rights must end.

Madden implement a new physics engine.

I think that if those two things were to happen at this very moment then Madden 2010 and NFL 2k10 would be the best football games we would have ever played or layed eyes on.
Well thought out and for the most part true.

For me, it's like getting a new boss at work. If I have a few lousy bosses and hear that we are getting a new boss, I would ask myself, Will things change or will they stay the same. I shouldn't make any preliminary decisions before allowing the new boss to take over and maybe even discuss my concerns about the direction the company and or department is heading.

This is the same way we've been treated by Ian and Phil. They are the new bosses, (in a sense), and they are listening to our feedback.

I'd like to see where that feedback takes us without considering past history because they are new leaders.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #223
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain_the_foe
I wish that I could agree with you on this, but in my opinion you're putting your love for the game ahead of whats really going on with EA and Madden.

Look, if EA wanted to give a "true" NFL experience they would do it. Instead they are more interested in cornering the market.

Just for the record; the worst thing to happen to Football games is when the NFL issued "exclusive" rights to EA. This has absolutely allowed EA to take advantage and basically repackage the same game year after year after year.

My point is...If we want the BEST football sim then competition must be upheld. We were getting the best football we could have gotten from both 2k and Madden when they were both making NFL games. THE VERY MOMENT that EA went exclusive is when we began to see the repackaging and over advertising.

C'mon man, you have to see this. Madden 09 is the same exact game that we've been playing except with the change of buttons, new animations etc. This is the 3rd or 4th installment of the franchise on next gen machines and we're still playing this game on last gen physics.

Its unfortunate to say, but EA is not pushing Madden to the limits because there's no competition that they need to worry about in order for them to put out the best product possible. Most of us grew up with Madden and also was around during its Zenith of gameplay and popularity. EA is seriously exploiting that situation, on top of getting the new young gamers because they dont have a choice of what game to play...there's only madden.

If we want to save Football this Generation two things needs to happen.

EA's exclusive rights must end.

Madden implement a new physics engine.

I think that if those two things were to happen at this very moment then Madden 2010 and NFL 2k10 would be the best football games we would have ever played or layed eyes on.
Well thought out and for the most part true.

For me, it's like getting a new boss at work. If I have a few lousy bosses and hear that we are getting a new boss, I would ask myself, Will things change or will they stay the same. I shouldn't make any preliminary decisions before allowing the new boss to take over and maybe even discuss my concerns about the direction the company and or department is heading.

This is the same way we've been treated by Ian and Phil. They are the new bosses, (in a sense), and they are listening to our feedback.

I'd like to see where that feedback takes us without considering past history because they are new leaders.

They aren't changing engines as already stated and they have the rights for a few more years.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #224
Banned
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Nov 2007
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
Naw...I think your going overboard with your analogies...Its not over...Hell..it hasn't even begun...EA simply needs a different approach on how they want Madden to be accepted...Currently its more of a game for everybody...and that's not a bad thing for sales but its definitely a bad thing for hardcore cats who want a higher level of realism...Thats just cold hard facts of life re Madden.
I disagree, the reason why EA hasn't added more realism to the game is that it would take work, which cost money. If you look at basketball and hockey, two sports genres that have competition, you see more realism in live and 2k. Obviously, fans want realism. The problem is that there a lot of poeple out there that won't know the difference unless you put in front of their face; since EA has no competition, this is all that's available. It's all the casual fan gets to see.
Tito78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Top -