Home

Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

This is a discussion on Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #297
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Thx u very much for the compliment. I really appreciate it.

Ok honestly the Modding isnt anything u have to worry about. I have a site where u just download the files and follow the instructions. Adding the files is a piece of cake. They do have modding tools out there for so much other things but you dont have to worry about it if u dont want to.

Playing with NCAA teams with all the artwork, and updated NFL 09 rosters is a piece of cake. Your just placing the file u downloaded to certain folders and your all set.
Now to update the schedule for your franchise to have the 09 schedule requires a program and you need to follow thier instructions on how to use the program, but it isnt that tuff.

They have mods where u get the Fox opening , ESPN, NBS sunday night, or CBS.
Theres a ton of stuff.

Here is the link , just look under Madden 08
http://football-freaks.com/forums/in...?act=Downloads

I cant honestly say if u should jump on the PC version since you have the PS2 version. I never played the PS2 version. They only thing I can say is if your cpu can display a nice resolution Madden on the PC looks alot better. Thats All I can truly say. For all I know the PS2 version can be more fun. I know the PC version has a ton of features on the gameplay side.
Thanks man for your time. I have to try it out. I am terrible about always trying to find something better. I played Madden on the PC back when Culpepper was on the cover whenever that was, and it sure was pretty.

Again, thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #298
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
Thanks man for your time. I have to try it out. I am terrible about always trying to find something better. I played Madden on the PC back when Culpepper was on the cover whenever that was, and it sure was pretty.

Again, thanks.
Your Welcome and if u need any help just hit me up

Peace
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #299
Banned

OVR: 24

Best Buy has Madden 08 PC for $9.99.

But, then I'd need to spend about $40 bucks for a controller. (All I have at the mo is a joystick.)
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #300
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Best Buy has Madden 08 PC for $9.99.

But, then I'd need to spend about $40 bucks for a controller. (All I have at the mo is a joystick.)
Thanks for the headsup.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #301
Rookie

rdmcfall's Arena

OVR: 4

Personally, I was very surprised with how much fun I had with Madden 09 on Wii this year. Given how many of my friends have picked up Madden for their Wii, I can see myself spending most of my time playing that one. I just had more fun with it.

Like many of you said, I just don't have as much free time anymore for huge multi-year franchises. Going into next year, I certainly plan on evaluating the PS3 version before picking it up blindly. I hope Ian and his team knock our socks off though. I'll still have The Show, NBA2k, and FIFA for my "sim" needs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #302
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmcfall
Like many of you said, I just don't have as much free time anymore for huge multi-year franchises. Going into next year, I certainly plan on evaluating the PS3 version before picking it up blindly. I hope Ian and his team knock our socks off though. I'll still have The Show, NBA2k, and FIFA for my "sim" needs.
You know this is an excellent set of comments, and it got me to thinking. Football has the shortest season of all the sports and for the majority of gamers, the interest is on the sport in season. If EA's football effort continues to underwhelm and suck, the interest might be passed right over because basically after baseball comes basketball and hockey. I know that my video football interest was way down because I played a baseball game (the Show) longer than I usually play a baseball game, and NHL09 and 2k9 came out. I used to play football right up until baseball. Just a random thought, who knows if it is right or not.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #303
Rookie

OVR: 5

This is an excellent thread and makes me want to add my 2 cents.

I consider myself a madden and football genre diehard. I remember busting long gains with Bo in the original Tecmo Bowl for NES. My Madden days started a little later than some with 92, 93, 94, 95, and 97 for the Genesis. Tecmo Super Bowl for the SNES. Madden's 99, 2000, 2002, and 03 for the PC. Madden's 03, 04, 05, 07 and 2K5 for the Xbox. There were a lot of forgettable titles along the way as well. But now my first next gen title is Madden 09....what a piece of crap.

I will spare all of the nostalgia of the titles before 2005, simply because that was in my mind the greatest year for football titles....Madden 05 and ESPN 2K5.

I think it is unfortunate that we have such a sour taste in our mouths about madden now that we always go back to 2K5. I agree it was a great game and arguably still is. However, I always felt that Madden 05 was the better title because it simulated the gameplay quite a bit better than 2K5. I remember reading all of the reviews that stressed the presentation of 2K5 and the polished gameplay of Madden 05. The critics all loved 2k5 because they didn't understand the longevity aspect of the game the the madden fans demanded. But this was ok as 2k5 was still a good game...especially for the price.

Madden 05 was a polished version of previous games that had success such as 03 and 04. The glitches were gone (for the most part), the accelerated clock and sliders were present, the franchise mode was sound and very playable 10-15 years in. There was very little that they added to the game with the exception of the very well put together Defensive playmaker.

2K5 on the other hand was providing me a much different experience and hope that Madden could be much more than it already was with the competition it faced. A combination of 2K5 and madden 05 was the perfect recipe.

Ultimately, we had choice and competition.

To me Madden 05 will always be my benchmark for authenticity and 2K5 will be the expectation for presentation in this next gen era. However, I waited 4 years to finally get my next gen madden thinking very wrongly that it would be the year. I too was fooled.

I bought the game on release day, popped it in the tray, and looked for the settings to start my franchise mode.....where's my accelerated clock??? where's all the other sliders of years past?? What's up with the lame game intro??? How come the options for create a team and create a player are reduced ??? No tats on the guys arms anymore (pretty petty i know...but it was in the game in 05)??

Anyway, started up my Raiders franchise. Played my 4 excruciatingly boring games of the preseason and turned the game off into the start of the 2nd qtr of my first reg season game. I hated it. I actually went back to my 28th season with my Raider's franchise in madden 05. I know...28 seasons....how pathetic....but I have this game finely tuned with my settings for a pretty good competitive game. Unfortunately, I have a next gen system that I want to play football on....but instead I prefer the play of fifa and NHL 09.

Like so many others on this thread, I will not even consider Madden 2010 until after it comes out with the first patch and the diehards are praising it up....but I won't hold my breath. I fully expect that it will not be one of the titles that I own next year.

I miss madden football and I miss the competition that the other games provided. I hope that we can once again have a game that is fun to play. But continuing to give money to the Madden machine is now like giving money to the homeless guy on the street so that he can go to the liquor store that he is panhandling in front of.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #304
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicZulu25
This is an excellent thread and makes me want to add my 2 cents.

I will spare all of the nostalgia of the titles before 2005, simply because that was in my mind the greatest year for football titles....Madden 05 and ESPN 2K5.

I think it is unfortunate that we have such a sour taste in our mouths about madden now that we always go back to 2K5. I agree it was a great game and arguably still is. However, I always felt that Madden 05 was the better title because it simulated the gameplay quite a bit better than 2K5. I remember reading all of the reviews that stressed the presentation of 2K5 and the polished gameplay of Madden 05. The critics all loved 2k5 because they didn't understand the longevity aspect of the game the the madden fans demanded. But this was ok as 2k5 was still a good game...especially for the price.

Madden 05 was a polished version of previous games that had success such as 03 and 04. The glitches were gone (for the most part), the accelerated clock and sliders were present, the franchise mode was sound and very playable 10-15 years in. There was very little that they added to the game with the exception of the very well put together Defensive playmaker.

To me Madden 05 will always be my benchmark for authenticity and 2K5 will be the expectation for presentation in this next gen era. However, I waited 4 years to finally get my next gen madden thinking very wrongly that it would be the year. I too was fooled.
I stuck with Madden 05 myself but I would hardly call it the end all be all of gameplay. I choose it initially over 2K5 because it had accelerated clock which made possession time more realistic and I enjoyed the franchise options such as relocation and firing/hiring coaches. However I get a little antsy when people speak of 05's superior gameplay. First of all, 05 needed a user fix (The Manefesto) to make it playable. Without it, you ran into the defense "first against the run. last against the pass" glitch because every CPU opponent would use an 80% pass to 20% run ratio. Secondly, the over-exagerated speed and leaps by DB's and LB's in a passing situation were basically born out of 05. Lastly, and this killed me the most, 05 lacked major portions of basic football...mainly the limited options on coach's challenges and pass interference (it still baffles me how pass interference can be eliminated from a game.)

Believe me, I thought 05 was a great Madden and definitely a great step in the right direction. I feel that without competition the ball was dropped and instead of 05 being built upon to make a truly awesome football game we ended up with the joke that is the Madden franchise. Truth is that if I had a backwards compatible PS3 and could get updated rosters for 05 I'd still choose to play it over 2K5, but I feel that when people refer to how awesome 05 was I can give them the same things that a lot of "ballers" say about 2K5 dealing with fond memories making a game better than it really was.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »