Home

Put John Madden on the Cover of Madden 10

This is a discussion on Put John Madden on the Cover of Madden 10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Put John Madden on the Cover of Madden 10

I'm going to have to disagree, but not because of John Madden or anything he did. I really do not think you could find many (I doubt any) people who do not like him.

John Madden has become one of the most influential people of NFL History by bringing football to people's homes in a manner of which everyone could enjoy it. Unfortunately, Madden has been nothing short of an embarassment in the presentation and immersion departments. For a football game, you almost have to be trying to make people bored with it.

So therefore, I think it would be a dishonor to put Madden on the cover as nothing he stood for seems to be what the EA execs stand for (Here i refer to the direction Madden has gone the past few years, not enough evidence to include Ian one way or the other). I don't think John intended to create a football version of Frogger when he began all this 21 years ago.

For the last few decades John Madden has brought us football in its entirety, Madden games have not.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #34
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

They say 90% of the game is half the battle.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #35
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I was watching the 1988 NFC Championship game with the 49ers at Chicago. Madden was talking about 49ers SS Jeff Fuller and said "This guy is half lineman, half linebacker, and half cover guy!"

All you have to do is let Madden talk and you are bound to hear something funny. too bad he doesn't like Frank Caliendo's impressions.

Last edited by PGaither84; 04-16-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccormi
I'm going to have to disagree, but not because of John Madden or anything he did. I really do not think you could find many (I doubt any) people who do not like him.

John Madden has become one of the most influential people of NFL History by bringing football to people's homes in a manner of which everyone could enjoy it. Unfortunately, Madden has been nothing short of an embarassment in the presentation and immersion departments. For a football game, you almost have to be trying to make people bored with it.

So therefore, I think it would be a dishonor to put Madden on the cover as nothing he stood for seems to be what the EA execs stand for (Here i refer to the direction Madden has gone the past few years, not enough evidence to include Ian one way or the other). I don't think John intended to create a football version of Frogger when he began all this 21 years ago.

For the last few decades John Madden has brought us football in its entirety, Madden games have not.
You can also look at it as a symbolic gesture though, where this new madden team is trying to take the game back to what its supposed to be and that's something that John Madden could be proud of.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
You can also look at it as a symbolic gesture though, where this new madden team is trying to take the game back to what its supposed to be and that's something that John Madden could be proud of.
That'd be nice. I don't mean to bash EA (and I hope no one thought I was bashing John) but I just don't think what John set out to create is exactly what we've seen the past few years. If they didn't fix the presentation, I would just see it as another cheap marketing scheme to get some purchases.

I hope I'm wrong though, but this sounds a lot like how everyone thought '09 was going to be great just because it was the 20th anniversary.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #38
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I'd be for Madden on the cover. Then next year they could start fresh. It's about time to get a new name, Madden is kinda old with this being the 21st year. With the new focus for the game, maybe something like just NFL'11 would be cool. And then John could have his props and ride off into the sunset in style. And Ian and Co. could make a different style game and not be tied to it having the "Madden" feel.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I'd be for Madden on the cover. Then next year they could start fresh. It's about time to get a new name, Madden is kinda old with this being the 21st year. With the new focus for the game, maybe something like just NFL'11 would be cool. And then John could have his props and ride off into the sunset in style. And Ian and Co. could make a different style game and not be tied to it having the "Madden" feel.
In that magical bus of his...

To your point though, having the name Madden is what helps it sell so much. I don't think EA would be willing to give that up for some time.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 12

I've been saying this for a couple of years now! Putting Madden back on the cover would also put an end to the 'Curse' nonsense.

Along with bringing Madden back, bring him back in the booth with Michales for big games (EA already has the commentary for both of them from the last HOW many years). This way we could have 2 sets of commentators. Collinsworth and Hammonds for regular games and Madden and Michaels for the game of the week and Superbowls. And maybe a random rotation throughout the playoffs.

Lastly, bring back the Madden bus touring the cities for the training camp drills and the All-Madden teams throughout the past decades.

After all, the game is called Madden and he should be well represented on the cover and throughout the game.

Last edited by Stikskillz; 04-16-2009 at 07:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »