Home

Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

This is a discussion on Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

EDIT: Another factor into the cost of a player could be the potential rating. Maybe that 70 OVR 25 year old underachiever with an 88 potential rating would ask for more money than the 70 OVR 25 year old who has lived up to expectations almost fulfilling his 75 potential rating.

In the end, if you truly want to simulate the mini-economy of player transactions in the NFL we'd have to factor in a pricing system and I was just trying to put together some standards to work on - just based on the factors mentioned. It isn't perfect, but I can't think of a more authentic idea. I'm not sure exactly how much work it'd take. If work was divided amongst every user in the league it doesn't seem very arduous.

An excel sheet that calculates base player salary demands based on these factors would probably go a long ways. I'm considering putting something together myself and throwing it out there to see what you guys think. My CPU just broke so I'm on other laptops and these may not have excel so don't hold me to it

CPU trading is another problem. That may go under the category of human management, and just hoping that people can A) handle 2 teams and B) want to be active in making decisions for their CPU team and make the best of them. Big 32 user leagues won't have any issues applying a system I've described.

I don't know what we'll do for rookies still. Maybe just put out standard values based on draft pick number (picks 1-15, 15-32, round 2,3,4 etc) and put together position standards. Again, this would be easy to apply once created, but will take work to create.

Another positive aspect of putting a real system together would be that we could always fall back and tweak something WE created and try to use that if whatever EA creates isn't up to par.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #26
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Ideas for Self-implementation of a Salary cap and contracts for Online Franchise

In an attempt to keep things (relatively) simple, an idea I just brainstormed off the top of my head, piecemealing some ideas from here and some of my own:

SET-UP

Teams have an initial 'points' cap of X points (final point value to be determined once all player ratings are known). This number can increase and/or decrease over consecutive seasons depending on average points spent per team. Initial player points values are determined by Player Overall (affects initial point value greatly) and Age (affects initial point value a little bit). That's it. This formula is not yet known exactly, but in general high-overall players will cost a great deal more than low-overall players (it will probably be on an exponential scale of some sort).

There is no such thing as a "cap penalty" under this system; if you cut or trade a player, he's gone without harm.

IN-SEASON PLAYER MOVEMENT

Given that Madden 10 online franchise CPU teams have no trade logic whatsoever, trades must be approved by commissioner. If commissioner vetoes trade, trade is put up to league vote; if 66% of league approves trade, commissioner veto is overriden and trade must be allowed.

Free agency based on waiver system; waiver priority determined by:
- teams' current regular season records
- team overall rating
- teams' previous regular season records
Other tiebreaks will be determined as necessary and probably based off of statistics.

Trade deadline is the conclusion of Week 6. No trades can occur after this week of games concludes.

Players may be released at any time during the regular season. Player releases are monitored by and can be subsequently blocked by the commissioner to prevent unsportsmanlike activities.

No free agency pickups or player releases are allowed during the postseason unless injuries deem a move necessary; if a single team requires such an exception, normal regular-season waiver rules apply. Once the Pro Bowl concludes, player releases may resume, but the rules of free agency shift: see below.

OFFSEASON PLAYER MOVEMENT

If any points cap modification is to take place, it will take place at the conclusion of the Pro Bowl, and before player retirements are announced.

Re-sign players phase: all players are assumed to be under 1-year contracts. Player retention rules are as follows:

Any player on your team who is 26 YEARS OLD OR YOUNGER is automatically resigned by his current team unless the potentially-retaining team chooses not to resign that player (to accomodate for rookies, etc.). Retaining a player in this manner does not change the amount of points a team is currently spending on that player.

Players with expiring contracts may be retained by their current team at the end of the season for their new point value, recalculated using the same formula used to determine the initial point values. Up to seven (7) players can be retained in this manner.

Any players not retained at this point are considered unrestricted free agents.

Free agency phase: Free agency is resolved via a six-round auction draft; four of the six rounds occur before the draft, and the final two rounds after the draft. Players may place bids on any available player and are not limited in the number of bids they can place. The minimum points bid for a player is 70% of the points cost it would be to retain him (i.e. if a player is worth 10 points, the minimum bid for this player is 7 points). Any bids not meeting this requirement are ignored.

After all teams have placed all their bids for a round, the bids will be processed. The highest bid for each available free agent, as well as the team which cast that bid, will be public knowledge. Subsequent rounds continue in this manner. If a free agent has a bid at the end of one round and is not bid on by any other team in the immediately next round, that player is immediately signed by the high-bidding team (unless signing that player would put that team over the points cap, in which case the bid is revoked). Players with bids at the end of the sixth round will sign with the team who cast the high bid (barring cap violations); i.e. there are no additional rounds of the free agency auction. Players with no bids at the end of all six rounds can be acquired under the in-season waiver rules.

If there is a tie after the sixth round, these tiebreaker rules apply: team record, team overall rating, team with fewer free agent acquistions.

Again, right now this is just a rough idea, and feedback is welcome. Once I refine this, I plan on writing a computer program to help manage this for me, which will make things that much easier.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 06-11-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #27
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Genious thread and very much needed!

Adembroski, awesome idea bro.

I am going to have to give the wonderlic before I assign an assistant commish. And I'm only half way joking.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I haven't finished planning this, but here's my thoughts so far.

Teams have 20 "bids" per off season.
Teams may protect 22 players per off season.
Protected players cannot be bid on by other teams.
Restricted players can be bid on in the 2nd phase, but the original team may match in the 5th phase to retain them.

* Protection Phase
Each Team submits their list of 22 protected players. They may also designate a "Franchise Player" by spending 2 of their 20 bids to add one more (a 23rd) player to their protected list. Teams also submit a list of their "Restricted Players", any player with less than 3 years experience.

* Bidding phase
Each team submits a list of how they are spending any remaining bids. These may be used to attempt to acquire any Restricted or Unprotected Player on another roster or the Free Agent pool. Teams have 20 bids unless 2 bids were spent on a Franchise Player in the previous phase.

* Resolution Phase
The commissioner informs teams of winning bidders. When more than one team bids on the same player, the team with the lower record from the previous season will win the bid. Teams retain any non-winning bids, which will carry over to future phases. Teams with Restricted Players who have been bid on will be informed, but these players do not change teams yet.

* Draft Phase
NFL draft occurs here.

* Counter Phase
Teams may use retained or unused bids to match offers to Restricted Players. They may also continue to use those bids on unprotected players. New bids cannot be made to Restricted Players during this phase.

* Roster Justification Phase
The commissioner will inform the teams of the result of the off-season bidding, and teams will cut down to roster minimums before the Commissioner finalizes rosters for next season.

Tie breaker order is determined the same way as draft order.
I'm not gay but ideas like this is going to get you kissed on the mouth. This idea blows my ideas away. Good stuff. No homo.

Last edited by xxxGODFATHERxxx; 06-11-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I haven't finished planning this, but here's my thoughts so far.

Teams have 20 "bids" per off season.
Teams may protect 22 players per off season.
Protected players cannot be bid on by other teams.
Restricted players can be bid on in the 2nd phase, but the original team may match in the 5th phase to retain them.

* Protection Phase
Each Team submits their list of 22 protected players. They may also designate a "Franchise Player" by spending 2 of their 20 bids to add one more (a 23rd) player to their protected list. Teams also submit a list of their "Restricted Players", any player with less than 3 years experience.

* Bidding phase
Each team submits a list of how they are spending any remaining bids. These may be used to attempt to acquire any Restricted or Unprotected Player on another roster or the Free Agent pool. Teams have 20 bids unless 2 bids were spent on a Franchise Player in the previous phase.

* Resolution Phase
The commissioner informs teams of winning bidders. When more than one team bids on the same player, the team with the lower record from the previous season will win the bid. Teams retain any non-winning bids, which will carry over to future phases. Teams with Restricted Players who have been bid on will be informed, but these players do not change teams yet.

* Draft Phase
NFL draft occurs here.

* Counter Phase
Teams may use retained or unused bids to match offers to Restricted Players. They may also continue to use those bids on unprotected players. New bids cannot be made to Restricted Players during this phase.

* Roster Justification Phase
The commissioner will inform the teams of the result of the off-season bidding, and teams will cut down to roster minimums before the Commissioner finalizes rosters for next season.

Tie breaker order is determined the same way as draft order.
Great ideas man. It's truly unfortunate it has to come to this but great ideas none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxGODFATHERxxx
I'm not gay but ideas like this is going to get you kissed on the mouth. This idea blows my ideas away. Good stuff.
I believe the proper way to protect one's self from being seen as "gay" when making borderline statements is to precede the statement with the words "No Homo". LOL

Last edited by FadeEmAll; 06-11-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 3

I’m thinking a supplemental draft at the end of each season. The draft will have two rounds. The first would be the big free agent round and the second will be mid to low free agent round.
fficeffice" />>>
Round 1
Everyone’s top 3 players will be protected from the draft.
Going from worst to first each human controlled team will only have one pick.
They can take any player from any team as long as they are not
One of the top 3 players
Been in the league 3 years or less
Been on you team for less the 2 years
>>
Round 2
Everyone’s top 5 players will be protected from the draft.
Going from worst to first each human controlled team will only have one pick.
They can take any player from any team as long as they are not
One of the top 5 players
Been in the league less then 3 years or less
Been on you team for less the 2 years
>>
At the end of the two rounds each human controlled team will have to cut 2 75 ovr and above players to make up for the two the gained and going in the same order as the draft the team can chose to take anyone who is cut. If a team takes someone on the cut list the must then cut some one else.
>>
In years 3, 6, 9 nobody is protected in the draft.
>>
>>
>>
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #31
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversIsMyHero
Do you have any ideas about draft pick compensation for Restricted Free Agents when the owner refuses to match the bid(since we cannot choose "Tender Levels" with salaries)?
Being that the restriction is free in the first place, I figured I'd bypass that. That isn't final and I'll be forming a competition committee within my league to iron out those kinds of details if I don't think of anything better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
What about Leagues that have only 5 people? How will you ever get free agents from the computer?
That's tough. I'm going to be playing in a smaller league, but with people I leave near, offline. Online, I'm planning on simply keeping it at 32 human players. I figure I'm known enough in the community to be able to fill slots relatively quickly, early on at least.

We get around to next February/March, then I might have trouble, but hopefully I'll have something in mind by then.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:

We get around to next February/March, then I might have trouble, but hopefully I'll have something in mind by then.
Hopefully by then they will have patched up the servers and we will have a complete online franchise where all this stuff is in. If they patch this stuff up I might buy an XBox 360 just to get at you and Giles, LBZrules, and the Watcher. I got a Sim crowd on PS3 but seems like most here are some 360 folks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »