Home

What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

This is a discussion on What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #25

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: What Role will PreSeason Games have in Franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Well you guys should give us real preseason rosters then we won't turn off injuries..
Word.

I thought it was weak too initially but your point is very valid.

Unlike real NFL teams, we can't truely put our scrubs that have no shot of making the team in in the second half to save bodies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Word.

I thought it was weak too initially but your point is very valid.

Unlike real NFL teams, we can't truely put our scrubs that have no shot of making the team in in the second half to save bodies.
haha i didnt even think it was weak cuz it made since soon as i read it...sim 4 game and u always got like 3 key injuries for like 11 weeks or so...madden needs to step it up in the offline department
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #27
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzal8
Hey, Donny. I agree it definitely is weak, but no more weak than the alternative. Why waste the time playing 4 preseason games and risk injury to starters when there are no cuts that need to be made, and no special progression to be gained?

So my question is, in your opinion, what is gained from playing those preseason games?

Is there significant player progression to be gained by playing those games? Will playing a backup or rookie be my best opportunity to progress them in the preseason?

If the answer is yes to those two questions, then I think we can say the preseason games do have some tangible value.

If not then I will be simming the preseason with injuries off, again.
Exactly. I sim the pre-season, as well. I leave injury's on though. However, if any of my starters has a significant injury (usually 10+ weeks) then I will reload and sim the week again.
I guess the isn't considered "sim" but, neither is having 53 players on your roster to start the season.

So, until there's another alternative this is what I will be doing again.

Last edited by jeremym480; 06-24-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #28
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Exactly. I sim the pre-season, as well. I leave injury's on though. However, if any of my starters has a significant injury (usually 10+ weeks) then I will reload and sim the week again.
I guess the isn't considered "sim" but, neither is having 55 players on your roster to start the season.

So, until there's another alternative this is what I will be doing again.
you see fellas, ea is saying it is in the game. I enjoyed HC because it allowed me build depth to my roster. I would like to have 80 players in camp, you can have the 1st unit play only a series or two in the first preseason game and then look at your rookies and free agents the rest of the game, cut down to 60 after the 2nd preseason game, then cut down to 53 after the last preseason game and only dressing 45 on game day.
The current version you already have your team and so preseason are just a bunch of extra games.
I sim preseason games with injuries on because if a starter is out it gives me a chance to make adjustments to my team with a starter out, I started doing this because with previous versions of madden my offensive line started every game for 5 years without an injury, and that is not real at all. I found out if you make adjustment to the injury bar most of the time it is your starting qb getting injured more than your linemen which is not true. Cmon ea if it is in the game put it into the game. IMO
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 8

Don't get me wrong I would love to see expanded rosters but like others have said preseason gives you a chance to get used to your players. Also if they don't play like you want them too then you would be able to cut them and find a free agent to fill the void.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #30
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMonts
Don't get me wrong I would love to see expanded rosters but like others have said preseason gives you a chance to get used to your players. Also if they don't play like you want them too then you would be able to cut them and find a free agent to fill the void.
Unless the Cpu teams actually start signing FA's during the season, then it doesn't matter. there are always 84 OVR players in the FA pool, and you could still pick them up on week 17 if you want to.

There are a lot of things that still need to be addressed.

Pre-season without progression or expanded rosters = simulate
Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #31
Rookie

TwoHeadedDog's Arena

OVR: 2

I sim pre-season as well, and I would like some clarification as to what Donny meant when he said "weak." I can only assume that he shares our disappointment that this vital part of the football season has remained untouched and unessesary for 5 straight years on current-gen consoles. In which case I agree. . . pretty weak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #32
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadedDog
I sim pre-season as well, and I would like some clarification as to what Donny meant when he said "weak." I can only assume that he shares our disappointment that this vital part of the football season has remained untouched and unessesary for 5 straight years on current-gen consoles. In which case I agree. . . pretty weak.
he said weak because someone said they sim the preseason with injuries off...

I think not making preseason a worthwhile mode is weak. Preseason holds so much meaning in the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »