Home

pro tak vs backbreaker takle system

This is a discussion on pro tak vs backbreaker takle system within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: pro tak vs backbreaker takle system

EA shoulda took their heads out their butts and used euphoria. it seems much more natural and free flowing rather than the robotic and programmed animation fest that Pro-Tak is.

word is they didn't use it b/c it's unproven technology but at this point anything is better than what they've had these past few years. euphoria looks good and a good portion of people are sick of the movements and glitched up animations Madden has had on Next Gen. it's time for the dev team to swallow their pride on this and just revamp the engine/animations they're using now and look for something much better.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 52

Euphoria is cool but has one fatal flaw and that is that players cannot really struggle once collisions occur. Every "tackle" is going to be a missile-style collision, unless they used canned motion capture style or tackles.

My question to pose (seriously) - would you be willing to give up the fact that the ballcarrier can no longer struggle for extra yards to have physics-driven tackles?

Old 07-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 27

^^^ Me personally, no, because without struggle it's not football. I'd rather stay with the direction Madden is going now, and in the future when the two styles can be combined it'll be the ultimate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 11

Even with those missile based tackels, the physics of the play already surpassed anything done by madden, ever. Its not a knock on what you guy have done, but just looking at the video's, the 9 man tackles / scrumms all looked canned. Its the same animations over and over again. I will say again, can't really tell how this will affect the game till we play it, but with tackles over the years being the same animations over and over again, it just doesn't feel like anything new.

The amazingness of the Euphoria engine, its just seems each and every play can be something new. That my friend, is something that we have not had in madden since the leap to the PS2 / Xbox gen. And after a few hundred games at that level, even that got repetitive for how amazing the new madden was back then....

But guess what, all these tackle animations mean nothing without the proper camera angles. Again, hate to keep bring it up...but that is how important your camera's are...and it just seems we keep forgetting that.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 16

back breaker is nice because there is some nice hits the amount of dive and misses from 2 or 3 yards out looked lame tho. Madden 10 is good because the first hit you take isn't always going to knock u down.

Also in back breaker it seems as tho your going to see the same style tackle from ever player. Not to many corners can make those hits shown in the video.

In all i think madden is headed in the right direction with what they have and fear if they switched over we would take 2 or 3 steps back before going forward unless they something like what they did with franchise where they worked on it a good year before its release.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Euphoria is cool but has one fatal flaw and that is that players cannot really struggle once collisions occur. Every "tackle" is going to be a missile-style collision, unless they used canned motion capture style or tackles.

My question to pose (seriously) - would you be willing to give up the fact that the ballcarrier can no longer struggle for extra yards to have physics-driven tackles?
I hate to say it, but based off what I just saw from Euphoria, I would have that than the Pro-Tak. Yes, you lose some authenticity without the struggling for extra yards. But I still see "broken" tackles from Euphoria (albeit in the form of deflections/chipshots), and the runningback still falls foward, which is good enough for me. I would have to have a hands on with both to really know.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsBoYee
Even with those missile based tackels, the physics of the play already surpassed anything done by madden, ever. Its not a knock on what you guy have done, but just looking at the video's, the 9 man tackles / scrumms all looked canned. Its the same animations over and over again. I will say again, can't really tell how this will affect the game till we play it, but with tackles over the years being the same animations over and over again, it just doesn't feel like anything new.
Just to be fair, you're weighting specifically captured highlight videos vs. real (full/un-edited) videos of Madden gameplay. Not a single real video has been released and only a select few of embargoed reviewers have put their hands on Backbreaker - IMO that's for a reason. Don't get me wrong, Euphoria is cool (I've seen it in action)) - but if you think that our animations get old I imagine the same exact feeling will happen to you when you are looking at football players crumpled up like ragdolls / dead bodies. Kudos for them to trying something new - I hope it works out.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 13

I'm going to wait and play backbreaker before i decide which tackling system is better.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »