Home

The Curl Route...pointless or possible?

This is a discussion on The Curl Route...pointless or possible? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: The Curl Route...pointless or possible?

I agree that it is about timing on that route. It is like in real life, if it is an aggressive corner in the nfl they will jump the curl more often than not but if you can time it, the pass is indefensible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 4

You answered your own question with your first sentence in this topic.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #27
Rookie

bhackler's Arena

OVR: 3

Use proper Quarterbacking technique and be throwing when you finish dropping back and the timing will be there. I have friends who complain about not being able to complete routes and then watch them play and they do 28 step drops and stuff. If you run around like a chicken with its head cut off no route will work. 3 step drop, fire the ball, if the coverage dictates its not there, check it down.

It's not like every route is designed to be open on a play. You have diversion routes and clearing routes. It seems like most people I watch play pay no attention to PRIMARY receiver or check downs. They see routes and throw to whichever one they think is going to get them the most yard REGARDLESS. If you stay in the pocket, let your QB drop back the designated number of steps (3,5,7) and be ready to fire to the primary at the end of that drop back you'll see the offense run the way its designed. If you hit A to snap the ball, hold back on your stick and then try to fling the ball to somebody because you realize you've gotten behind the blocking bubble then you'll inevitably convince yourself routes don't work.

There's a difference between saying something DOESNT work and NOT KNOWING HOW to do something.

EDIT: This post came off a little more holier than thou than i intended. I just got finished playing someone who complains incessantly about this game and then i played him and he was a complete idiot who took the ball, dropped back and then sprinted around with the QB until he then either got sacked, completed a ridiculous pass to a receiver who had finished his route 5 seconds ago and was just running for open field, or threw a ridiculous incompletion. I was in the haze of aggravation. Sorry.

Last edited by bhackler; 10-13-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 8

The curl is my fav. play. The comeback is the best if you get the right coverage. If you guess that the cpu or a person is goin to run cover 2 or 3, run the curl to the middle of the field. Its a good 5-10 yard gainer.

PSN ID- WoahThatGuy
Text: (910) 770-1533
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #29
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

All the more reason that Madden NEEDS User Accuracy, there has got to be a way where you can control where to throw the ball. If you could do this then curl routes wouldn't be so terrible, with big receivers you could throw it up, and with possession receivers you could throw it hard and away from the defender.

Without this it is useless, I remember using the curl in Madden 06 all the time it was a great man coverage route, I guess CB's just caught onto it.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemooses
All the more reason that Madden NEEDS User Accuracy, there has got to be a way where you can control where to throw the ball. If you could do this then curl routes wouldn't be so terrible, with big receivers you could throw it up, and with possession receivers you could throw it hard and away from the defender.

Without this it is useless, I remember using the curl in Madden 06 all the time it was a great man coverage route, I guess CB's just caught onto it.
uhhhh....they do have "user accuracy". u use the LS to dictate where u wanna put your touch on the pass. on curl routes, i throw it hard and low to the opposite shoulder of where the cb is playing my wr.

1)throw hard = hold wr icon button down
2)throw it low = down on LS while throwing to said icon
3)throw it opposite shoulder = if cb is playing inside my wr on the right, i hold icon button down hard + moving LS down and to the right side. that will get me a bullet pass low to the right of my wr

i agree with the others that it is difficult route due to the over aggressive cb's who will jump it while ur receiver stands there as if he doesnt need to attack the ball. its not impossible tho and is mainly a timing route that needs a very accurate and hard throw away from the cb to avoid the interception.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 55

Curl routes are money against off man coverage. They are also money against cover 4 and 2. Cover 3's are open too when you have a flat route in combination to take the flats defender away. Cover 2 soft stops it and man press stops it. Purple zones will stop it too in some of the cover 3 plays. People run those a lot so that's why you don't see a ton of curl routes open.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 13

Thing that makes the curl frustrating to me is that even with a really good tall WR, I have to manually catch to complete the high throw, to me the whole idea of drafting, signing or just having talll playmakers is for them to make the jump ball plays. Shouldnn't be automatic, but at least make the guy appear to be trying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »