Home

Madden 10: AskMadden Tip of the Week

This is a discussion on Madden 10: AskMadden Tip of the Week within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden 10: AskMadden Tip of the Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
So the release rating is what indicates how well they can get away from bump coverage? Makes sense. Ideally every team should have at least one WR with a high release rate then. I know when I play against good players in APF2K8 who employ Bump Coverage, I like to have a really good HB for flats / screens and a Bump Buster WR (especially true if my opponent is good at manual coverage).
Yeah, in theory the Madden equiv to Bump Buster would be a guy with 90+ RLS and ACC (quick jump off the snap and ability to get position on the press defender).

Not sure how well the rating works in Madden - but assuming it does, yeah I agree a WR with high RLS, RTE, and CTH - excellent possession/vs. blitz receiver, especially in the slot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #26
Cap
Rookie

OVR: 13
Guys,

The idea is simple. To beat man coverage you have to make the defender catch you, and run you down across the field as opposed to running up the field.

Watch the replay, no matter the speed on both sides our guys with atleast 5 speed attributes higher are in stride with the corners because of the bump. So what do we do? Run away from the bump and play to our strengths.

If you have undersized WRs that are quick and agile, why try to play to the defense's strengths? It's a concept, and it works. In Madden and in the NFL.

Any suggestions on what we should do for next week?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #27
Cap
Rookie

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap
Guys,

The idea is simple. To beat man coverage you have to make the defender catch you, and run you down across the field as opposed to running up the field.

Watch the replay, no matter the speed on both sides our guys with atleast 5 speed attributes higher are in stride with the corners because of the bump. So what do we do? Run away from the bump and play to our strengths.

If you have undersized WRs that are quick and agile, why try to play to the defense's strengths? It's a concept, and it works. In Madden and in the NFL.

Any suggestions on what we should do for next week?
Also, forgot to mention that if you don't have a guy who can beat the bump (IE: Terrell Owens) you need to set a pick with bodies.

To beat man coverage in the NFL, they use flanker drive (Slot WR fade route, outside WR slant/drag) so that the cornerback has to run down the speedy WR. Doesn't have to be bump and run coverage for this tactic to come into play. Watch the Eagles play offense on Sunday.

Slow CB, can't bump = Streak routes, over the top
Slow CB, physical bump = drag routes and body picks
Fast CB, can't bump = curl routes and other big body routes

Football 101
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 21

Agility and / or route running should have been the determining factor in this play. Because its a "one cut" route, Woodson should have enough "route recongnition" to not be fooled. If Jackson could have made his cut faster than Woodson, he could have gotten the separation to get open. Thats assuming he could beat the jam. Speed shouldnt be the issue, you just watched Harris and Woodson run stride for stride 30 yards down the field after a jam.

This tip also has NOTHING to do with beating a physical DB's. I just tried it against Asomugha with the same results. Its got everything to do with confusing a CPU DB's by having them run directly into a player they arent covering. The CPU wont adapt so you can do this every single time and see the same or similar results.

The reason this is so effective is because the bunch formation has the 2nd WR on the line of scrimmage, the sideline route pretty much directs him into the path of the DB. When you have the the 2nd WR run a fly or post route, the "pick" doesnt occur because the WR doesnt run directly into the DB anymore.

This is a 15 yard "money play" each time. Unless the user is willing to alter the routes to prevent the "pick" from being set.

After watching the video, I am puzzled by how you can defend this with "Football 101".

Last edited by RyanMoody21; 11-19-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #29
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
The opening sentence told me this would be a comedic piece. "Madden has always mirrored the NFL. " Lol. Gets me every time.

Compression Offenses works in real life, but defenses can counter them in real life. It is much harder to counter this in madden because it is Madden.

If you need help moving the ball in Madden 10, you are either new, or are a scrub.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
That video makes future HOF'er Woodson looks like the worst DB in the world and an unproven, underachieving WR look like the HOF'er.
Future Hall of Famer???

Did someone give me a sliding machine and not say anything?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #31
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
The opening sentence told me this would be a comedic piece. "Madden has always mirrored the NFL. " Lol. Gets me every time.
Beat me to it!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 11
Motion can break press coverage, but I'm more apt to rely on 4 and 5 Wr sets. You can't Press all the receivers. Picks are not as common as these guys would have you think, but cross drags is about as old a passing play there is in football. So picks and man screens do exist. Not a terrible strategy at all. Man Contain, Press cOverAge ,bring the SS down and Bltiz behind the NT (3-4 d) to force the qb out the pocket. Screens don't often have time to work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »