Home

where are the franchise updates?

This is a discussion on where are the franchise updates? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: where are the franchise updates?

i really think there is a ton of stuff that franchise needs.

a ton of stuff can be added to the off-season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4
i really think there is a ton of stuff that franchise needs.

a ton of stuff can be added to the off-season.
All I can ever see them adding to Franchise Mode is:
  • Future Draft Picks
  • Working Morale - and everything that comes with it (holdouts, performance, etc.)
  • Real draft presentation
  • Incentive-based contracts
  • Trade logic (as usual)
  • Progression (this should occur weekly, even if it is 'hype' progression - Hype Progression (my own term) is that lets just look back on Jerome Harrison's final 3 games from 2009 and say "500 yards in 3 games?!??! Hee's teh bessstss!" Well maybe that should bump his hype score up with certain teams in the off-season. We shouldn't get a number representation, however we should be getting 'phone calls' about his availability.
I could go on and on, but this will be nothing more than a wishlist/gripe thread the more I post.

Sadly.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #67
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

What they need to do is add a calendar to Franchise so that way you'll feel the pressure of certain situations in the off-season. What if they add roster bonuses to the game and certain players have their bonus kick in on certain days (maybe you could even control that when you negotiate the guy's contract) so now you have an aging veteran on your roster and you have your eye on his replacement in the draft....but do you really want to avoid that extra $6 mil on the cap to only go and draft another player who may or may not be ready to step in?

What if the guy is highly touted and you don't have any guarantees that you'll get him? Do you still cut ties with the vet to avoid his roster bonus before X-date?

That right there would add a ton of depth to the franchise and make decisions that much more important. But it's a simple addition to the game: 1) a calendar (much like Head Coach 09), and 2) more detailed contracts.

Understand....a realistic franchise is only fun for those completely in love/obsessed with the sport. The casual gamer probably doesn't care about incentive based contracts (Head Coach 09) or roster bonuses that kick in before the draft. So EA's marketing department isn't going to focus on that and build hype around something that their core target audience (the marketing department's audience, not the total demographic for the game) won't find enthralling.

People in here keep talking about the major changes that franchise needs but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're talking about flashy stuff.

Madden's Franchise Needs:

• A calendar to pressurize certain contract situations
  • More detailed contracts
  • Improved logic (although Madden 10s logic might be able to get by for another year, it was much improved over Madden 09)
  • Improved draft presentation
  • And give us a functioning draft board, not just a list of prospects
  • Obviously the ability to change teams (preferably be fired and hired)

If you honestly love what Franchise is all about then you'll appreciate those changes and hope they build on it for the future.

Maybe in the future they can let you run the prospects through drills, but not reveal their ratings (it would be up to you to gauge their skills based on what their reported combine #'s are and the football drills you use them in)

But don't be surprised if they bring over NHL 10's Be A GM Mode. Which I hear is pretty ridiculous in it's own rights.

But I'm curious to know what these radical changes are that people are looking for. Because all EA can do is really build on what they already have...right now the game represents what the GM does in the most simplistic fashion possible. Put a football team together. All EA can do is add some of the complexities to doing that, and liven up the draft a little bit.

Not exactly something I see 12-year old Timmy getting excited about when he watches the sizzle trailers about Franchise menus and draft boards. Because right now all we're getting is sizzle info, the stuff that's supposed to turn heads and say "wow that looks pretty cool." I mean....look when we found out about the timeless Franchise mode in Madden 2005:

http://sports.ign.com/articles/511/511942p1.html

It was not one of the things first talked about because here is the "First look" article:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/510/510742p1.html

Look at the dates on the two articles... and tell me which info came out first, gameplay or franchise? Now look at your calendar and look at the info that EA is releasing right now and tell me what you notice?

Give it a few more weeks folks, then if we're not hearing hints about additions to Franchise then we can open up the discussion here again. But it's still too early to get any detailed info from EA....I mean, hell, we didn't even get any details about GameFlow from EA. It was the guys who went to CD who shed some light on the feature once EA revealed it. Samething with the 3 vs 3 online play, it was actually a GameStop article that revealed the specifics of the "new innovative mode that will change online gaming" or whatever tagline they used. So why the hell would we be getting franchise details when they haven't said anything specific about and mode yet? All we're getting now is animation and gameplay info.

Let's see what Mr. Looman has up his sleeves during his second complete dev cycle for franchise.

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 04-24-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 5

My hopes for franchise this year would be that they:
  • Improved Free Agency, Make it more like HC09
  • Improved Draft Presentation, make it more interactive like HC09
  • Contract Negotiations similar to those in HC09 but make them have more variety in terms of length of the contract (ie different packages should have varying amounts of years) so i dont have to keep resigning players to a 2 year deal
these are my expectations for Franchise this year, if none of these 3 things are in I will be disappointed, but if 1 or 2 make it I'll be satisfied for this year. its not everything from head coach but its a start
Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #69
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azcardinal32
My hopes for franchise this year would be that they:
  • Improved Free Agency, Make it more like HC09
  • Improved Draft Presentation, make it more interactive like HC09
  • Contract Negotiations similar to those in HC09 but make them have more variety in terms of length of the contract (ie different packages should have varying amounts of years) so i dont have to keep resigning players to a 2 year deal
these are my expectations for Franchise this year, if none of these 3 things are in I will be disappointed, but if 1 or 2 make it I'll be satisfied for this year. its not everything from head coach but its a start
I could live with those additions as well and I also expect to see them in. I mean...unless we all think that Looman's success with Head Coach 09 was a fluke, I don't wee where the doubt is coming from.

We had one of the most outstanding franchise oriented games in Head Coach 09...and the guy who is responsible for that game's success is now the guy at the helm of Madden's franchise mode. It started in Madden 10....he wasn't at the helm of franchise for any of the other Maddens before 10. But he was at the helm of Head Coach 09 and the improved Madden 10 franchise....so lets doubt that anything positive gets done.

That doesn't add up. People look at things too simplistically. There was a key change made at the top, another key change made in the development and direction of franchise mode....so lets expect more of the same even though we've already seen some additions to the mode that we have been clamoring for the past 4-5 years...

Anyone who's touched HC 09 knows what Looman is capable of; the man's previous success is enough for me to give him some time to do what he does. If you can't look at a man's resume and previous work to gauge his talents...what the hell can you look at? The condition of the product before he was handed the reins? How is that fair?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #70
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I could live with those additions as well and I also expect to see them in. I mean...unless we all think that Looman's success with Head Coach 09 was a fluke, I don't wee where the doubt is coming from.

We had one of the most outstanding franchise oriented games in Head Coach 09...and the guy who is responsible for that game's success is now the guy at the helm of Madden's franchise mode. It started in Madden 10....he wasn't at the helm of franchise for any of the other Maddens before 10. But he was at the helm of Head Coach 09 and the improved Madden 10 franchise....so lets doubt that anything positive gets done.

That doesn't add up. People look at things too simplistically. There was a key change made at the top, another key change made in the development and direction of franchise mode....so lets expect more of the same even though we've already seen some additions to the mode that we have been clamoring for the past 4-5 years...

Anyone who's touched HC 09 knows what Looman is capable of; the man's previous success is enough for me to give him some time to do what he does. If you can't look at a man's resume and previous work to gauge his talents...what the hell can you look at? The condition of the product before he was handed the reins? How is that fair?
Exactly.

People call me a "madden defender" but all I'm doing is just using a bit of sense...
Old 04-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
but all I'm doing is just using a bit of sense...
And a whole lot of faith. More power to you. Others prefer to believe it when they see it, given that franchise has essentially been the same for years.

But hey online will be the priority, so it's all moot in many respects.

Last edited by Flamehead; 04-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #72
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
And a whole lot of faith. More power to you. Others prefer to believe it when they see it, given that franchise has essentially been the same for years.
That's fine but all I'm saying is that they are obviously doing something to it since nothing has been announced yet. They aren't going to get a guy that made head coach on the team for nothing.

As was said earlier, " If you can't look at a man's resume and previous work to gauge his talents...what can you look at? The condition of the product before he was handed the reins? How is that fair?"

Quote:
But hey online will be the priority, so it's all moot in many respects.
It will be a priority but I'm pretty sure that it won't be the MAIN priority seeing as that different people work on different things on the game.

Last edited by Bgamer90; 04-24-2010 at 08:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »