Home

REAL-time tackles need to be addressed period

This is a discussion on REAL-time tackles need to be addressed period within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: REAL-time tackles need to be addressed period

I am one of the long time Madden gamers who is on board with buying Backbreaker. I have been playing football video games for over 20 years now.

I think that the issue is more than just real time tackles. Madden needs a new gameplay engine period. The dated engine ultimately effects the quality of the game. The problem as everyone knows is, How do you scrap the current engine when you have to deliver a yearly game.

I fully believe that Ian Cummings and The developmental team's hands are tied here. Ian Cummings wants to make Madden a great game. Madden 10 was a step in the right direction but at the end of the day. The gameplay engine is flawed.

So what EA and Tiburon do is they try as best as they can to improve the game even though they are stuck with a flawed engine. That's why we are getting animation techs like Locomotion to try and camoflauge or improve the gameplay. From what I have seen so far. Locomotion doesn't look very natural. Hopefully, It looks better and more importantly plays better than it looks right now. I am really liking gameplanning and I have a feeling that the presentation in Madden is going to improve this year. Better commentary, broadcast feel etc. All of this to make up for the engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 21

Only1LT, I like your post....you are thinking about the big picture as well as down the road....

I'll just say this.....back in 1996 I believe, I remember EA said it was impossible to have a polygonal players during that gen...and that is why they stuck with sprites I guess for Madden 97 and were planning to as well with Madden 98....and eventually did.... Sony of course later released Gameday 98 and would you know it...looky here

first 11vs11 football game that was 3D polygonal and it ran smooth at 30fps.....and the animations were great as well.....also with LOTS of control features...as well as Total Control passing....let me just stop, but imo, it was one of the GREATEST Football games ever.....played great all around.

Madden 98 played well too, but

Gameday just looked a generation ahead.

so what happened......well for the first time ever, Madden got out sold on a platform.

were the EA developers not talented enough, back then???... I don't know.... were they limited by the tools.... I don't know......were limited to time constraints of releasing a yearly title (like I'm sure Sony's football devs were).... I don't know.....so were there no other possibilities....I don't know.....

but what I do know is, after people let it be known that the competition got their attention.....this is what happened THE VERY NEXT YEAR

a game that brought me back to Madden.....imo, one of the greatest Maddens ever and it continued to improve every year....where as Gameday fell off.

Am I saying that Madden in one year will have a brand new super advanced physic engine.....no, because once again......I don't know.

but they were able to make strides in a short period of time....... EA was a big company back then, but not as big as they are now...not even close...... EA has MANY internal talented devs...who I'm sure work together........I'm sure Tiburon is VERY talented.... as much as I rag on Madden's Graphics...I just played a game earlier and let the cpu play the cpu at Redskin's stadium, Overcast, 1pm game.....in Broadcast view....although the field is not 3D any more like Madden 07....it still look BEAUTIFUL, I can't lie....photorealistic....but the player models did not match up....this year they might with a new lighting system but they player models still need to be larger....imo......Tiburon has talent and resources.....again IMO....its up to Management to use that talent...or their resources, which also can be just be money....what ever it takes.....if they feel like it, they can make it happen.....they made it happen before.

WE HAVE TO MAKE THEM FEEL LIKE IT!

for a second, take a trip with me to a different dimension....similar to ours.....we visit OS, and there is a new poll.

what do you want from EA Tiburon's Madden NFL?

new dance moves............2%
better looking sideline.......0%
Brand New Game Engine....98%

now back to me
if most people were in agreement about this....and were vocal....

look down
I have diamonds

now back to me, the diamonds have turned into that thing you wanted for your Madden.

Last edited by Afrikan; 04-30-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 32

African, you post hit the mark. When EA had competition they put resources in their product. I remember the excuses EA made about how they couldn't have 22 polygons players on the field and Gameday 98 did and added tons of animation.

I always believed the reason why PS2 Madden was so good was the year before NFL2k and push the genre.

EA just need to put more resources in their product.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I'm not sure what the solution is since we can't have competition anymore but I do know something needs done. I am hopeful the deals for exclusivity run out and don't get renewed but I'll bet EA won't let them run out.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Great thread, some really great post in here. I've given up hope in Madden point blank. No "new feature" they create or lack of attention to details they miss, does not surprise me....anyway, great thread though, keep the post coming fellas.

Last edited by cjallure24; 04-30-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #30
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Bottom line is EA needs to license Euphoria/buy Backbreaker and take a hiatus from football for a year and make an amazing football game.

If it turned out for the best we would all be happy.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #31
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I'm not sure what the solution is since we can't have competition anymore but I do know something needs done. I am hopeful the deals for exclusivity run out and don't get renewed but I'll bet EA won't let them run out.
Couldn't agree more. I just hope that if the exclusive deal does end, that other development companies haven't given up on making football games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entiel
Yes, prime example:
The first one with the Dolphins and Falcons... They had this in Tecmo Super Bowl 3: Final Edition (one of my favorite football games of all time). A guy would hit you then latch on to your legs, and then another defender would come in and hit you again to finish it off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »