Home

Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

This is a discussion on Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: The exclusivity deal will be:
Renewed 224 69.78%
NFL will see the errors of it's ways and rip it up 97 30.22%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I'd say Microsoft does, but that won't happen. NFL Fever 2012 would be pretty awesome if it was as good as 2004 was in 2003. That make sense?
Yeah, MS does...however, that LAST thing they need is more negative publicity after all the crap that they've faced the last few years. Plus, Fever never sold really that well....they'd be throwing money down the toilet, IMO.
The game was ok at best...did SOME really cool things, but overall was just...meh.

Last edited by MJenness; 05-01-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I just don't see EA shelling out the massive amount of money it will take to renew the agreement. How many workers have they laid off in the past year?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't think the NFL will ever give it up, the only hope we have is if EA drops deal. This doesn't sound likely but I heard that EA was considered not renewing it because they didn't think the sales were worth that much money to the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Banned

Also, curious as to why the poll says the NFL will "see the error of their ways"? How is this an error on the NFL's part when they're raking in HUGE amounts of cash even while Madden's sales have declined??
The NFL is happy as a clam right now.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I usually don't reply on threads like this, but since a mod has checked in, and it's staying civil.

One has to wonder what are the odds that all 3 football groups (NFL, CFL, and Arena) all decided to put up their licenses for exclusivity in the same year? Seems like an odd coincidence. I tried to explain to people how these RFP's work. Many times, they are done for the sake of appearances, with the actual deal already having been sealed via back room conversations.

Funny quote from the politics link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA's Lawyer
...it probably should be universally understood that quality increases under exclusivity. That's one of the reasons people have exclusives, because it creates the incentive to invest more in quality...
Since when has being a sole owner of anything ever resulted in better quality. I wouldn't even trust 2K with an exclusive NFL license (look at what happened with MLB).
Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I usually don't reply on threads like this, but since a mod has checked in, and it's staying civil.

One has to wonder what are the odds that all 3 football groups (NFL, CFL, and Arena) all decided to put up their licenses for exclusivity in the same year? Seems like an odd coincidence. I tried to explain to people how these RFP's work. Many times, they are done for the sake of appearances, with the actual deal already having been sealed via back room conversations.

Funny quote from the politics link.

Since when has being a sole owner of anything ever resulted in better quality. I wouldn't even trust 2K with an exclusive NFL license (look at what happened with MLB).
It was already showed as factual that EA approached the NFL severl times in the years leading up to the exclusive deal, trying to seal the deal. And I can promise you, EA threw a number at the NFL in those meetings, giving them a good idea exactly HOW MUCH more they'd make if they just set up a "bid" system for the license....hence the NFL's change of thought on the idea.
EA KNEW no other company (read TakeTwo) could possibly match their offer, so it was a done deal before it even started.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Also, curious as to why the poll says the NFL will "see the error of their ways"? How is this an error on the NFL's part when they're raking in HUGE amounts of cash even while Madden's sales have declined??
The NFL is happy as a clam right now.
I mean from a fan's perspective: like you said, competition would make the game better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
This is not true sorry.
Nor is it a monopoly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »