Home

Madden NFL 11 Blog: GameFlow and The Strategy Pad

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Blog: GameFlow and The Strategy Pad within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #33
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Madden NFL 11 Blog: GameFlow and The Strategy Pad

Excellent stuff. Ian's reasoning is beyond dispute, imo, but the fact that the old method will be available by the time the season starts speaks volumes about the Madden teams willingness to listen to the Grognards.

Gentlemen, I salute you.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #34
zav
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Excellent stuff. Ian's reasoning is beyond dispute, imo, but the fact that the old method will be available by the time the season starts speaks volumes about the Madden teams willingness to listen to the Grognards.

Gentlemen, I salute you.
I too commend Ian on his reasoning. I ALWAYS had this problem in madden 09 and on occassion in Madden 10. it would happen so quickly i didnt realize it. i would hit A then next thing i know my DL was going back 40 yards in coverage then i had to start re-adjusting. I guesss itll take some getting used to but im OK with it
Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

It really sucks that I will have to wait an extra month to play the game when they release this strat pad FIX. I dont want to have to learn this nonsense and learn bad habits and then go back to the REAL way the game should be played when they fix it. That would really throw off my game.

At least they were smart enough to fix this stupid idea. I GUARANTEE this option never gets taken out again. What a silly silly idea...

Last edited by Nelson9937955; 07-30-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #36
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson9937955

At least they were smart enough to fix this stupid idea
Maybe for you it was, but not based on their stats they provided it wasn't a "stupid idea."

For every decision made, good or bad, there is a decision process and they had the stats to back that up.

Man, be grateful they put it back in. That didn't need to put it back in, but they did.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Hopefully the overdone bitching can stop now (i.e. "I'm not buying the game because of strategy pad!").

Good to see that we're going to get both options but I'm slowly starting to get used to the pad anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccomicfan
I just want to know why this change was kept so quiet that when the demo dropped all hell broke loose
It was in tons of previews and if you watched any of the videos you could see it there too. There was no "surprise" with the strategy pad. Well actually, I was surprised they didn't add the ability to shade inside/outside, designate only certain DBs to press and being able to make pre-snap hot routes without having to control a specific player (similar to last-gen Madden and 2K football) but that's another issue altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
so on a side note...

when using the new strategy pad I still don't know how to:

1. double a WR
2. assign a blitz to a defender
3. take a route and turn it into a smart route ( a route that takes me beyond a 1st down marker)

any help would be great?

thanks
1. Select the safety/DB you want to help double the WR. Press down, down and right stick right (I think). Then press the button of the WR you want to double.

2. Press down, down to go into hot routes. After that I'm not sure which direction you press to get a blitz. I'd have to look at the game.

3. Press up, up, button of the receiver and click the right stick.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 16

I am VERY pleased with Tiburon's decision to give the player the choice to use Strategy Pad or Legacy Buttons.

While I found the learning curve for Strategy Pad to be a little steeper than I enjoy - I found myself slowly adjusting to it, although the design was still awkward. Kudos for listening to the fans.

Please continue to give us CHOICE and OPTIONS. I like when new things are added - but I always like it better when those things come with an OFF switch.

-SeventhWard

Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 42
No problems with the change as of now, it just will take some time to get used to it for me.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree, but no one should be questioning the stats they receive. Not saying you are, but just saying the stats are hard to ignore.

Also, I admit I was wrong about the reason why they implemented it. I'm not afraid to admit that against their stats.
I feel you. I wanted to see what they had to say about the reasoning as well. You cannot argue statistics.

I've been stuck in playmaker before, but square+L2 always cancels an audible. I know this, but I can see how somebody not used to the game would not know this.

It all goes back to hardcore vs. casual Madden gamers. In this case, EA is doing the right thing by giving the option to use either one.

I would love to know what the online default would be, or if the option will be locked into our personal settings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »