Home

Fantastic Presentation, if only it was Madden

This is a discussion on Fantastic Presentation, if only it was Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #97
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Fantastic Presentation, if only it was Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round.Out
Your idea of realistically solving the problem is to create 2 different types of presentations? I really hope you're not a businessman...
Why would giving the user more options be bad business
Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #98
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round.Out
Your idea of realistically solving the problem is to create 2 different types of presentations? I really hope you're not a businessman...

No you really don't have to create two different types of presentations. You create one full broadcast presentation then give the user to turn off certain aspects of it such as instant replays, ticker overlays, cut scenes, etc.. Almost every good game does this.

Quote:
Presentation that's done right is going to make the games longer. There's no two ways about it. I don't own NBA 2K11, but I've read a couple people say that trying to get through a game can be frustrating. On the other hand, the key to Madden 11 this year was to have games go faster. That was their intent. Authentic presentation be damned!
Those people obviously don't know how to turn off the instant replays, or at least set it to occasional so the games go faster.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #99
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I actually am a one sport guy, it's all about football to me. I saw the reviews and videos of this game and ended up buying it. First time I've ever owned an NBA game since the original NBA street.

The immersion factor is unbelievable and I can't put this game down. Not to mention there is just so much to do in the game. The franchise and my player modes are deep and immersive, then there is the Jordan moments and the ability to set up some playoffs without doing a season, and NBA blacktop games like a slam dunk contest and 21 etc. Every mode is as fun as the others.

Even though I could barely name 10 players in the NBA before purchasing this game, it's been in the console full time and Madden has collected dust ever since I bought it.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
Why would giving the user more options be bad business
On the business end, it would cost a good chunk of money to do two different presentations, with no real verifiable return on investment. Considering there are more steps to the process than just "creating" the layout, it would also take a considerable amount of time (and therefore more money).

As a consumer, yes - it would be great.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
No you really don't have to create two different types of presentations. You create one full broadcast presentation then give the user to turn off certain aspects of it such as instant replays, ticker overlays, cut scenes, etc.. Almost every good game does this.
I guess I mis-understood what you were shooting for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #102
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I actually am a one sport guy, it's all about football to me. I saw the reviews and videos of this game and ended up buying it. First time I've ever owned an NBA game since the original NBA street.

The immersion factor is unbelievable and I can't put this game down. Not to mention there is just so much to do in the game. The franchise and my player modes are deep and immersive, then there is the Jordan moments and the ability to set up some playoffs without doing a season, and NBA blacktop games like a slam dunk contest and 21 etc. Every mode is as fun as the others.

Even though I could barely name 10 players in the NBA before purchasing this game, it's been in the console full time and Madden has collected dust ever since I bought it.
I am kind of like you. I have owned NBA games 3 of the past 4 years and I follow the NBA casually. So I can name a few players, I understand the rules, know some of the ins and outs, etc. But even though I am not a hardcore basketball fan, I have to say 2k11 is the greatest sports game made to date.

2k11 has made me realize what developers can do and it has me shaking my head at the Madden team. There is really no excuse to why 2k can put out a game like this in one dev cycle, yet Madden 11 is still not beating 2k5 or 2k8 in every single aspect.

Is 2k11 a better game in every aspect than NBA 2k5 or NBA Live 05? Yes. Is Madden 11 better than NFL 2k5 and Madden 05 in every aspect? Not even close....

― Plato
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #103
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Yea...

I don't know if there is even an excuse at this point. Granted, there is evidence that suggests that Tiburon in some ways is not as detail oriented as the 2K staff tends to be.

But be that as it may, I do not think that Tiburon has the desire to put Madden's presentation over the top. I feel like they want to give Madden some atmosphere (in which they have), but I don't think mimicking a broadcast is their agenda. M10 was the 'year of presentation' so to speak and it still fell flat. But for what they seem to be trying to accomplish, they may feel it's successful.

Presentation that's done right is going to make the games longer. There's no two ways about it. I don't own NBA 2K11, but I've read a couple people say that trying to get through a game can be frustrating. On the other hand, the key to Madden 11 this year was to have games go faster. That was their intent. Authentic presentation be damned!

So that's where I think we are at with Madden's presentation. They'll give you some elements of a broadcast, but we're not going to get the whole kit-n-kaboodle. Presentation just doesn't seem to a major focus for them...
I agree with you here... but let me tell this bit.. I had NOOOOOO intentions of buying NBA 2k11.. none... I haven't bought a nba 2k game since 2k1. But when i seen a video of the 2k11 halftime show and how slick and clean it was produced. You know who the player of the half was, his stats, watch his best plays, game stats, ect. Then I pop in Madden and look at their halftime show.. I get a few stats, then the killer, I get a replay that's not only cut in half but the same play.. in different angles!!!
I don't see the player if he had 6 catches, get a replay of his best 3 catches. I get one catch, played 3 different times. 2k11 has Fade ins, Fade outs, that TNT video montage at the end of the quarters, DANG I mean use some creativity already Tiberon.

As far as guys saying "the game plays to long with all the presentation" (honestly if there ARE actual people who did say this because all the people i read throughout forums including people I know who bought the game, bought the game because of what they had in store with presentation and of course the "GOAT").
To these people I say "The OPTIONS button is there for a reason!!try USING IT"

Everybody cries about customization. Both 2k11 and The Show does these two thing very well and like someone said you can "dummy down" the pres in these games. The show has quick pitch or you can even go real time and have NO presentation features.

What really blew me away with 2k11 is what they have AFTER the game.
NBA2k11 Game Center is what every sports game this generation SHOULD have. The show has a good post game highlight show. Honestly, IMO, I think if EA had 100 people in a room and 98 of them said we wanted a TV style presentation and 2 said they don't care, EA will go with the 2 people because they excuse would be "..well not every body wanted TV pres.."

All 2k11 did was show us that it CAN BE DONE in ONE DEV CYCLE!!! no "we cant get that in this year" or that was on the list but..." none of that. Football is the best game on the planet (my opinion BTW). It should be better REPRESENTED than it is right now.... We still don't have noon-afternoon-night transitions and dynamic weather, something GRAND THEFT AUTO does. 2k11 presentation is not over the top, its what we SEE and HEAR when we watch a basketball game. Announcers talking about and displaying stats from your LAST game played, telling you scores from other games in your franchise and on and on and on...

Isn't this the reason why we bought these Playboxes sports gamers??
From this point on now, NOBODY is gonna want to hear EA or even 2k or anybody creating any sports game be it baseball, football, racing, any sport. Nobody is gonna want to hear what you "could not do this time" or "it was on the list but.." Now those days, to me, are OVER!!

I dont even play basketball games, but this game I felt I HAD TO HAVE.. How many games have THAT type of "it"ness to it??...

Just my opinion...
Ben
Voodoo

Last edited by shyvoodoo; 10-16-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #104
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvoodoo
I dont even play basketball games, but this game I felt I HAD TO HAVE..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I saw the reviews and videos of this game and ended up buying it. First time I've ever owned an NBA game since the original NBA street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I don't even really watch the NBA, as the NFL is hands down my favorite sport... but 2K's presentation is so good that it just completely sucks me in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfansince81
i have 0 interest in basketball at all but the more video i watch, and reviews i read makes me really want to get into the sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaturne
No NBA fan over here either. I haven't bought a basketball game in at least 6 YEARS but this is deeper than any football game I have ever played. It makes me want to play basketball and I'm a football fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
I haven't really followed the NBA much since the Jordan days ......................................... I'm picking it up this evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhWard
I'm not that big of a hoops fan - but this is a sports game done right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheo
Buying this game and it's a keeper. And I'm not into NBA much either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillRobP
I haven't been a fan of basketball since the Jordan days. But i plan on getting this game
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefanisu2003
I'm not big into the NBA, but have always LOVED the 2K basketball series
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfansince81
i don't watch basketball, ever...but that video .............. makes we want to immerse myself in a sport i have little interest in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelR2000
I don't really like the NBA. I haven't bought a basketball game since Live 98, but I am getting this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
I might buy NBA 2K11 based on this video alone, I don't play b-ball games much but ........................
I understand EA wants to attract more casual "new" customers with GameFlow. But it looks like great, REALISTIC, TV style presentation will do just that!!!

Last edited by statum71; 10-16-2010 at 04:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »