Home

Make Madden more arcade?

This is a discussion on Make Madden more arcade? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Make Madden more arcade?

In my honest opinion, the game plays exactly like the OP already describes for the most part.

I don't have to think. I don't have to strategize. I don't have to do anything but run one of the many many high percentage plays, then make the D look foolish because of the locomotion.

I'll concede there's no big hits because tackling is nearly nonexistent anyway, but that does play into the arcade feeling on offence. So I guess the game is part of what you are talking about in the OP.

But I do agree that I also don't think they can do it. They need an entirely new game and should stop wasting their time trying to change the current one to not be the arcade fest it truly is in it's core.

Madden = Arcade
2K = Sim

That's what it was when they both existed.

Madden is trying to be LIKE 2K, but doesn't go all the way there, putting itself (as the OP has said) stuck in the middle with no true identity. Pick a side. Either suck it up, admit you aren't sim and just copy what 2K (much like how FPS games copy the golden standard), or go back to full out Madden Arcade. You cannot cherry pick what you want from the 2K feature list and expect to please the sim crowds. This never works in any facet of life. I'm a sports gambler, when I get some picks from a sharp I don't pick and choose from what he gives me, I'm either in or I'm out. If I were to cherry pick, I'd lose big money, every time. I learned my lesson, I either commit or I don't. EA needs to do the same. Pick one and run with it. Stop trying to lure in casual fans and tack on sim features. This is just silly at this point.

So just make the game full board arcade Ian/EA, people will hate you less because they'll understand what the game is rather than hoping it's something that it's not and likely never will be.

Last edited by udungoofed; 10-27-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #50
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by udungoofed

So just make the game full board arcade Ian/EA, people will hate you less because they'll understand what the game is rather than hoping it's something that it's not and likely never will be.
Precisely my point. EA doesn't have the talent/time/resources/won't invest in the product enough, to actually give us a sim game. So screw it, make it arcade! That's my point. Just do what you know how to do.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #51
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Screw a chess match if you want a chess match--- play chess (or checkers). I want long passes, big hit's and better end-zone dances. That's all I care about.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #52
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

This is reverse psychology at its best. EA has made such a mockery of football, folks don't even want football any more.

Madden is already arcade. The more you know about football the more you realize Madden has nothing to do with it. I guess a few silly animations & sound effects wouldn't make much difference.

Madden has the exclusive license to make NFL/college/Candian/Arena football. That leaves no one to make a sim football game.

This is a great idea, but EA alreay beat you to it.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #53
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Screw a chess match if you want a chess match--- play chess (or checkers). I want long passes, big hit's and better end-zone dances. That's all I care about.
I love me the deep ball.

Also. Sim is overated. Fifa 11, the fastest selling sports game in history is being complained about for being to pragmatic and true to life. People just wanted more tricks and more goals from everywhere!

And people just want touchdowns, long catches, helmet-to-helmet concussion hits, sack-strip-scoop-score, pick 6. Coz in the end. I just want to get into the endzone bro.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #54
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

I posted this a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
I think the big problem is people here think the devs are trying to make a well balanced sim game. Not surprising when Ian says they are trying to create "the ultimate NFL simulation" when clearly that's not the case. There are lots of great ideas here but not too many casual or noob friendly ones. I think we need to save ourselves alot of time and stress and realise the direction Madden is taking and stop pretending this is a sim game that accidently comes out otherwise every year.
The reason you probably don't find Madden fun anymore Ryan isn't because it's not Arcade enough it's because you are a sim player playing an arcade game.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #55
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I have always felt the beauty of Madden and what drew me into the game and has kept me playing for 20 plus years now was they had a nice balance of sim elements with the ease of being able to plug and play and over the years from Genesis to Playstation one and then to PS2 was they kept adding more control options, more plays, more modes (franchise mode in 99) and keeping the game fun.

I don't think Madden was ever trying to be like a Front Page Sports football sim and sometimes I get the feeling people want that immersion and the gameplay to reflect it more.

I gotta tell ya if this replicated the NFL to a tee I would be bored to tears. The game is a lot of fun despite it's short comings that so many always love to point out. The pace of the game IMO is great. I would nuts with constant replays, TV timeouts and all that filler. I want to play a game at a good pace (that for me is an hour) and feel like the stats refelct an NFL game and season.

Madden does a very good job in that department. The game is lot's of fun. Then you get the sim elements (and yes 2005 is the king of Madden in that department and yes I hope they return a lot of that plus even more kick *** elements that the new gen can bring us in the presentation department) with franchsie mode, a good stat engine and now gameplanning (used for a good game offline with great sliders) Madden is close to finally making their very best game.

As far as gameplay 2011 is their best. Anyone who has played Madden for 20 years or even 10 years would have to agree this is the best game playing version yet. We know the short comings they are well documented but the game plays a good but more importantly fun game of football.

It will never be a sim game. To me a sim game is more turn based, letting the CPU play out everything and you are just a GM/Coach running the team...oh wait they made a game like that, it's called NFL Head Coach 2009 (and it is a great game off the field).

Madden at it's soul is a video game. Always has been, always will be. And Video Games in my book are arcade games brought to you via a home console. If we played Madden in an arcade I can assure you that we would be popping in quarters all friggin day to play that game and there would be a line around the block waiting to play it.

I remember when John Elway football came out in the arcade, we were all like, WOW!!!

Anyway the point is, it is an arcade/sim hybrid to me. I never viewed Madden as a true simulation of football. I played Statis Pro and Stratomatic football board games, those were sim games. As far as video games I think we are getting way too demanding in that regard. Games should be insanley fun and easy to learn first and foremost and Madden has done a great job in that department. NBA 2K11 is insanley fun too, but boy the learning curve is steep (and I am a harcore sports gamer so no problem for me) but it is not a pick up and play game at all. You can try to, but you will never realize it's full potential without really working at it. Where as in Madden the learning curve is much easier, yet the game can be complex for those who gameplan, call all there own plays, make defensive adjustments, send guys in motion, audible etc.

The games are better today than ever have been at recreating the atmosphere and the player models are just jaw dropping in some (The Show, NBA 2K11). Madden has not changed as much as some have wanted in that regard. But they really have not had to. The popularity of the game is still very strong. I don't think it is where it was back in the PS2 glory years but it still sells well and still has a strong following (me included).

Stay fun Madden, first and foremost please stay fun. Everything after that is about making us feel we are part of the league and immersing us in the game. And that we all know has been the real let down on the PS3/360. Yeah yeah gameplay has not changed that much from 2005, but it's better and for me and I never had a problem with it. I actually prefer (I know I will get flamed for this) the gameplay of Madden over 2K5. As great as that game is (and it is awesome) I liked Madden 2005's gameplay (and 2011 for that matter) better. It is a personal preference I guess. Presentation and immersion.....no contest there we know that.

I think for 80% of us Maddenites, if EA just took the blueprint of first rate presentation and immersion from 2K5 and used that with the NFL Network license for Madden 2012 we woud be pigs in **** and rolling around in joy.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 10-27-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #56
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Perhaps EA could make a game with separate settings, similar to NBA 2K11.

Casual, Sim and Arcade.

Casual would be similar to the game we're seeing today.

Sim- Would be a little more realistic for the hardcore fan. Some examples would be a CPU QB like Peyton Manning would actually use all of the play clock, realistic penalties (especially penalties like pass interference and late hits) that would be called at a realistic rate, etc.

Arcade- Bigger hits, outlandish celebrations, wide-open play, late hits are fair game, etc.

Now, I don't know if EA could actually implement Sim and Arcade in the game correctly. However, if they could switching between the two would certainly be welcomed change of pace in my honest opinion.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »