Home

Comeback AI is alive and well

This is a discussion on Comeback AI is alive and well within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #25
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Comeback AI is alive and well

Falcons Steelers last year?

I believe it was 17 points in the 4th.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2003, 08:27 PM   #26
JmE
Rookie

OVR: 1

Theres no real comeback AI per se, it's just AI. The computer changes it's gameplan, while you don't. When you are up 35-0, the cpu looks at what you are doing right, and does what it can to counteract that. Just as you would if the cpu was pounding you 35-0. Learn your playbook, develop gameplans for various situations, mix up your plays often and make good choices. It's not as hard as it sounds, really. Sure, the cpu will still comeback even if you are prepared, but they'll only be able to comeback so far if you adjust as well. It's realistic snd smart AI, just look at comebacks in real life. Gameplan, gameplan, gameplan.
The only thing I agree with is that there are a few too many fumbles. I've had as many as 5 in a game on my team alone, and the only reason I won was because the cpu had 4 of their own. Some were legit, others were not at all. I can see anywhere from 1-5 a game, but not 9 in a game total. Unless it's raining, snowing and slippery like whoa, it's just a little too much.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:09 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

I usually don't get involved in these discussions either, but to call the legendary Madden comeback ai a "myth" is just flat out wrong. When guys all of a sudden start catching balls in triple coverage, you start coughing it up when taking a knee - take a look at the clock and the score. Bingo.

It has always been an issue to one extent or another. I must say, this year's NCAA seems to have eliminated the problem.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:11 PM   #28
Rookie

kirkhart's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

Steve Young???

oops, I meant Joe Montana ....too much work, not enough sleep. Man I feel like an idiot. Plus as a Giants fan, I really don't want to remember that game.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:

kirkhart said:
how can the SF/NY game be irrelevant to this discussion? That game was a perfect example of how "unrealistic" comebacks do happen in real life. If you watched the game, you saw that Steve Young was on fire in the second half (after a quiet first half), the Giant's D couldn't stop anything, and the Giants muffed the last second kick with an "odd fumble"...that sounds just like a "comeback AI" game to me. I must say that the comeback AI is more myth than truth. Like other people have pointed out, comebacks can result from lackadaisical playcalling and tired players. Some people get complacent and lazy with their playcalling and I do think the computer "learns" tendencies to a degree. Plus, I think there is a momentum factor in the game. Just like in real life, a big play can shift the momentum of the game. Face it, comebacks happen in real life, somewhat frequently. How about the Skins blowing huge leads in the 4th quarter when playing Dallas (happened in 1983, 1999). How about the Jets-Dolphins MNF game? (30-7 going into the 4th). The Giants blew a late lead against the Titans last year and also blew a 9 point lead with 2 minutes left against the Vikings in the 1997 playoffs. What about the Bills-Oilers game (greatest comeback ever). If teams didn't comeback, why bother playing the 4th quarter if you are up by 14 or more? Players and teams get on hot streaks and they can go cold just as easily. You're going to lose some games in this fashion and it's not going to seem fair, but to me, it's very realistic.

did u say STEVE YOUNG! so u must not have watched the game last year. cause um well he retired. lol
Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #30
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

JRod said:
One word -

John Elway w/ the Broncos.

How many times did he father or atleast participate in a 4th quater comeback.

Remember the Bronco game v Houston in 90 I beleive on two consecutive 4th downs he made a 1st down.

But this is a video game. I actually think it's gamers always winning. I mean how come know one complaigns when they always comeback??????

On the flip side NCAA and Madden always seem to throw the previous 3 quarters of play out the window and in one too many game a hot RB or QB will be shut down and make critical mistkaes and the "right" time.

Well, I don't think Dave Garrard should look like John Elway in the last 5 minutes of the game. This happened to me at least over 30+ times out of the hundreds of games I played in Madden. Yes the BACKUP QB torched me and he threw pinpoint passes while his receivers made miraculous catches. It's there in Madden and to a lesser extent NCAA.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:07 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 2

In NFL 2K3, there's an option that you can set on 'ON' so that CPU AI can get a boost at the end of a game if it's way down at the scoreboard.
I think that NBA live games used to have this feature to get close score.
Maybe Madden has the same comeback AI but you can't turn it off...which would be a shame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2003, 03:15 AM   #32
pgp
Rookie

holy crap people are still whining about a comeback AI? lol. seriously guys, just play smart. fumbles happen. there doesn't have to be a rhyme or reason to it, it happens in real life too. remember roger craig against the giants that cost the niners a trip to the bowl? if that happened to you in game you'd say "CHEAP AI!!!!!!!!!!" remember last year when tim couch threw that deep hail mary into the endzone to beat the jags? if that happened to you in madden you would say "CHEAP AI!!!!!" play smart. i cameback from a 35-10 3rd quarter defecit against the computer on all-pro, is that human cheating? i got some timely turnovers, and some lucky plays, but it is in the real of possibility. play smart ball and you won't lose big leads. wtf how can you blow a 35 point second half lead...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »