Home

Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

This is a discussion on Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #33
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maademperor
****, youre right, my bad. this vid just lost some credibility. anyway, user control that dt and you can get by
I don't want this to come off like I'm taking a shot at you or anything, but I don't think you should have to manually control a player to get him to perform to his capabilities. Personally, I like the challenge of playing away from the line of scrimmage and I expect my CPU linemen to get pressure when I am in coverage.

And just as an aside, if All-Madden is a level where it is acceptable to have a 160lb. center stuff Ndomukong Suh and it is just shrugged off the way that I have heard the developers do as a "well, that's just how it is on All-Madden, the players are juiced", then the level should be done away with because it is doing nothing for the game but taking away from the aim of sim.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I don't want this to come off like I'm taking a shot at you or anything, but I don't think you should have to manually control a player to get him to perform to his capabilities. Personally, I like the challenge of playing away from the line of scrimmage and I expect my CPU linemen to get pressure when I am in coverage.

And just as an aside, if All-Madden is a level where it is acceptable to have a 160lb. center stuff Ndomukong Suh and it is just shrugged off the way that I have heard the developers do as a "well, that's just how it is on All-Madden, the players are juiced", then the level should be done away with because it is doing nothing for the game but taking away from the aim of sim.
YES!

Absolutely agree. There would be no difficulty levels in a perfect world. Well, maybe a "Simple" mode for beginners, and "Sim" for realistic NFL action.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

the point is weight doesn't matter at all in madden and height really doesn't make a difference either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #36
Rookie

Height definitely matters, weight not so much. Tall receivers are beasts on this game and much easier to user catch with. Taller DBs have more range or swat animations knocking down passes.

And don't buy anything about that Suh video. I did some tests and discovered that the CPU offensive line in practice mode is souped up to the point where block ratings don't matter at all. But when you're controlling the offense it's back to normal. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pul78re1q7U
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon2 Re: Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
YES!

Absolutely agree. There would be no difficulty levels in a perfect world. Well, maybe a "Simple" mode for beginners, and "Sim" for realistic NFL action.
Agreed, but unfortunately the AI cannot keep up with us without something like this...I wish it could, I believe that 2k may have been creating a brain child with its player profiles, they could have taken some of the best most innovative gaming styles of thousands of players and mushed them together to create an adaptive AI from cues taken from living persons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer

no offense taken, you are right, it shouldnt matter. the cpu controlled guy should still play to his talent level. my comment was just making the point that you CAN get by the man on all madden (with Suh more effectively than with Charlie nutsack).
Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #38
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe1on1ous Monk
Height definitely matters, weight not so much. Tall receivers are beasts on this game and much easier to user catch with. Taller DBs have more range or swat animations knocking down passes.

And don't buy anything about that Suh video. I did some tests and discovered that the CPU offensive line in practice mode is souped up to the point where block ratings don't matter at all. But when you're controlling the offense it's back to normal. Check it out:

That vid actually highlights another problem that has bugged the $h** out me for the longest time. It's not that the CPU ratings are souped up in practice mode, it's that the CPU ratings are souped up period.

When I'm playing a game against the CPU, the CPU lineman can whip my guys just like that. They stay on their feet, they shed, on passing downs the DE's can finesse and power pass my tackles in an instant. But when I am on defense, my guys get bowled over, don't fill their gaps and NEVER get that instant pressure where the CPU QB is in trouble before he hits his back foot. The game simply isn't tuned in a balanced way when it comes to the player's physical performance in human vs. cpu.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe1on1ous Monk

Your video doesn't prove that ratings matter; it reveals why ratings, in the trenches, don't matter. Ratings still aren't influencing performance; the CPU is. Whose to say that Ngata wouldn't have gotten through every time, when the CPU was on defense, against a better olineman ?

Basically, if I want to play offline franchise, if I can stomach it, the ratings in the trenches don't matter. I could have an all-pro offensive line that can't block anybody if I'm playing on all-Madden, and an all-pro defensive line that can't get to the QB, no matter who I'm playing, to save their lives.

There's no point in scouting, or paying for, or valuing, offensive and defensive lineman, because the CPU is going to cheat. That means ratings do not matter.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 03-18-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #40
Rookie

It is a direct response to the Suh video.

The point of that video was that you could create an olineman who is small with minimum blocking and that Suh couldn't beat him. That is inaccurate in actual gameplay.

The point is that in practice mode, the CPUs offensive line is souped up. He used that to try and say that ratings don't matter when you're playing an actual game and that's just not true.

Obviously there are issues with the game, not trying to refute that at all, but that video that show's that Suh can't beat a 160lb guy with 12 blocking stats is misleading.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »