Home

Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

This is a discussion on Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Does player height or weight in Madden matter at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
Well bigger backs do fall forward. May do some tests to see if its ratings driven or size driven.
Seems to be mostly related to Trucking, in my experience.

And Offensive Line ratings definitely do matter in this game, contrary to what most people say. They surely don't matter as much as they should, but that video proves absolutely nothing other than obviously the designers didn't correctly model extremely different ratings (and why should they, since they don't use about 80% of their ratings scale, all that really matters is how the game works in those other 20%)
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Well bigger backs do fall forward. May do some tests to see if its ratings driven or size driven. Height seems to help a little mostly with qbs tho throwing across the middle.
Everyone falls forward if that's what the animation dictates. A player could be getting gang-tackled and he'll still fall forward. It doesn't matter whether it's Brandon Jacobs or Desean Jackson; that's the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Seems to be mostly related to Trucking, in my experience.

And Offensive Line ratings definitely do matter in this game, contrary to what most people say. They surely don't matter as much as they should, but that video proves absolutely nothing other than obviously the designers didn't correctly model extremely different ratings (and why should they, since they don't use about 80% of their ratings scale, all that really matters is how the game works in those other 20%)
How can you say offensive line ratings matter when a punter can dominate a Defensive tackle like Suh ? If a punter can do it, than surely any offensive lineman, regardless of caliber, can do it. That makes it pointless to have talented offensive lineman, because you don't need them, and that makes their ratings meaningless.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 03-16-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
Everyone falls forward if that's what the animation dictates.
But the ratings play a role in the decision which animation is triggered.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
But the ratings play a role in the decision which animation is triggered.
More often that not, it doesn't. Before I traded the game in, I saw many ball carriers of different sizes fall forward while in a "Pro-Tak" moment.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
More often that not, it doesn't. Before I traded the game in, I saw many ball carriers of different sizes fall forward while in a "Pro-Tak" moment.
Well I can't help but disagree. I run a "backfield committee" of Jahvid Best and Beanie Wells in my fantasy franchise and I can guarantee you that Wells manages to fall forward WAY more often than Best does, I've had enough games to compare them to each other. Ratings do matter, it's that simple. Do they matter as they should? Definitely not. Is O/D-line play crappy? Most definitely is.

But to claim those ratings wouldn't matter at all in my opinion just mean you haven't played the game enough and actually watched for it. I've watched my running game explode with the same back from one season to the next with two new interior linemen, there's definitely a difference in the blocking.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Well bigger backs do fall forward. May do some tests to see if its ratings driven or size driven. Height seems to help a little mostly with qbs tho throwing across the middle.
Yeah weight does seem to play a factor for HB's. Beanie Wells if you know how to use him is a beast, same with Mendenhall and Stewart. And no one is going to tell me that Jelani Okoye last year wasn't a beast I sware that man never got stopped for a loss, all 6'-4" 265 lbs of him. And strength is arguably the most important rating I look at for DT's, DT's with 95+ strength seem to be beasts against the run.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymaker52
Beanie Wells if you know how to use him is a beast
This. I just started a Cardinals franchise because I thought they might be the most challenging team to play with I honestly knew next to nothing about Beanie Wells before that... by now he has become my favourite RB in the game and a target in every fantasy draft. Give him two seasons in a franchise and he's easily the best power back in the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
This. I just started a Cardinals franchise because I thought they might be the most challenging team to play with I honestly knew next to nothing about Beanie Wells before that... by now he has become my favourite RB in the game and a target in every fantasy draft. Give him two seasons in a franchise and he's easily the best power back in the NFL.
Meh, I still think Mendenhall, or even Ryan Mathews are better power backs after progression. Mendenhall will have 99 truck, and stiff arm to go along with his 90+ speed, and Mathews will progress to 99 truck and stiff arm to go with his 92 speed. And Mendenhall is about the same size as Wells. My favorite backs in Madden are the bybrid backs, the ones that have both power and speed. I would probably rank my favorite backs in Madden like this:

1. AP
2. Rashard Mendenhall
3. Ryan Mathews (After progression)
4. Jonnathan Stewart
5. Beanie Wells

I have no use for backs that lack a little of both, ie Ray Rice, Knowshon Moreno ect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »