Home

Bring Madden back to PC

This is a discussion on Bring Madden back to PC within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Bring Madden back to PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranor
Olay you said four opportunities in 24 years! Are you serious? Play station has had madden for over 15 years and xbox has since the original one. Now your just making excuses for EA.
4 times? Where do you get that?

Please, stop making assumptions on something that is totally wrong and incorrect. I don't appreciate being called out by anyone, especially when it's wrong.

Madden 88 is one year, Madden 91 is two year.

Madden 96 is year 3, Madden 97 is year 4, Madden 98 is year 5, Madden 99 is year 6, Madden 2000 is year 7, plus 7 more Maddens = 14 yrs on the PC.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
The next generation of consoles will certainly bridge the gap with PCs. The next iteration of the Xbox will use the latest DirectX, and hardware continues to become cheaper and cheaper. When the next console generation hits, I would not be shocked to see Madden back on the PC.

My question would be who gets the final say on which platforms to release a game for. Is it up to the EA parent company, or to the studio (Tiburon)? Why is FIFA on PC and not Madden? Different market? Different type of gamer? I knew of many guys, back in college, who owned an Xbox SOLELY for Halo, Madden, and nothing else. You know where I'm going with that demographic.

Clearly, some research has driven Tiburon away from developing Madden on the PC this go-around. The initial reason was piracy, sure. But it's clear that's no longer the issue at hand. EA clearly knows how to handle that business, so let's just toss that out entirely. EA depends on Madden's sales every year. They NEED Madden. So for EA, and Tiburon, to not want to release Madden on a certain platform is a red light for me.

Maybe it's the fact that Madden has never been "right?" They'd rather spend the manpower getting Madden right, anymore? But then again, NHL 12 wasn't on the PC, as it used to be. Different studio, however, which again begs the question of how much say a studio has on which platforms it develops a game for.
The research is sales numbers. The numbers are still there for fifa, therefore they continue to release it on the PC. The sales were not there for nhl/madden/ncaa, so they stopped releasing them. It's really that simple.

However, I think the cause for the lack of sales had more to do with EA/Tiburon's lack of action in regards to actually developing the game on the PC. Instead, they released the PS2 version of both NHL/Madden and wondered why sales took a dump. It wasn't piracy. Every PC game has the same issue, yet other companies continue to release PC games. And if you really believe people were pirating Madden...of all games...in record numbers, get real or provide data.

I think for a company as large as EA, they should have tried developing the next gen versions for the PC. I'm not entirely convinced they were losing money on the PC, just weren't making enough to justify the cost of keeping staff on hand for it. I don't see that as a smart business move when you already have a stranglehold on that niche, but I'm not the great Peter Moore..
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
You both have ignored what I've already addressed (thank you): Madden PC gamers are in the VAST minority. My answer addressed everything. Create a large enough demand, and Tiburon might consider it.

You can both explain to me why, if Madden on PC would be a lucrative release, they haven't done so? I'd love to hear a rational answer. All I ever hear is "EA only cares about money!" Well, go on.
Because your answers are based on OPINION. Who are you to say PC games don't hold enough audience for Madden? Maybe you are basing that off Operation Sports users. How do you know there is minimal demand for PC? Stats to back this up?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #20
Rookie

XDrewBreesX's Arena

OVR: 0

Nah, Rather them concentrate on PS3 and Xbox 360.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranor
Olay you said four opportunities in 24 years! Are you serious? Play station has had madden for over 15 years and xbox has since the original one. Now your just making excuses for EA.
Um...

1996 though 2007 alone is more than four...

It's 12. I played Madden from 2000 to 2007 on PC. Still have all the CDs.

I agree that another attempt at the PC market is a good idea - but saying stuff like what you just said just hurts your argument. Just count the years...

Last edited by KBLover; 04-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac
Because your answers are based on OPINION. Who are you to say PC games don't hold enough audience for Madden? Maybe you are basing that off Operation Sports users. How do you know there is minimal demand for PC? Stats to back this up?
The stat to back him up is quite simply they don't release their football titles on PC anymore. "Why not" is not the kind of rationale most large companies use to make a decision that can cost them millions of dollars. They used to make it for PC, they don't anymore, there's a reason for that.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 13

I myself have played madden 12 on the 360. I thought it was somewhat okay. But after I had the PC version of madden 08, I loved that one. I rented others on the 360 after 08 but none were the same for me than 08. If I had a NCAA version for it I probably wouldn't have gone to another one. It seemed to me like on that version the players played a whole lot better than these new ones.

At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships.-Bear Bryant
Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
The stat to back him up is quite simply they don't release their football titles on PC anymore. "Why not" is not the kind of rationale most large companies use to make a decision that can cost them millions of dollars. They used to make it for PC, they don't anymore, there's a reason for that.

That made no sense and is invalid to the question posed. Until there is an official stat that says the PC user base isn't large enough for Madden, this is all basically "speculation".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »