Home

Am I the only one starting to get really FRUSTRATED with this PHYSICS ENGINE???

This is a discussion on Am I the only one starting to get really FRUSTRATED with this PHYSICS ENGINE??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #49
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Am I the only one starting to get really FRUSTRATED with this PHYSICS ENGINE???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim4824
People complain they didn't get physics last year. Get it this year and complain about it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Why do people do this, take reasonable issues others have and try to over simplify them into being trivial?

Yes people asked for physics but just because they stick something like physics in Madden and market it as "physics you can feel" does NOT mean they gave people what they were asking for. You go to a restaurant, order a tender juicy steak and they bring you out a poorly butchered tough flank steak, you shouldn't complain because they gave you steak right?

The stuff that gets added to Madden reminds me of the monkey paw that would grant wishes but manipulate what the person asked for to make them better off not wishing, lol. Come to think of it, my girlfriend does the same thing, if I ask her to do something, like cook for me, she will make it terrible, in hopes that I won't ask again. Maybe that's EA Tiburon's plan, give us what we asked for but "fun" it up so bad, we never ask for it in Madden again, lol.

I am just joking around but the IE in it's current state, is obviously NOT what most people envisioned when asking for physics in Madden.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #50
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Am I the only one starting to get really FRUSTRATED with this PHYSICS ENGINE???

Quote:
People complain they didn't get physics last year. Get it this year and complain about it.

A simplistic, well though out contribution. Thanks.

At this point, I think a lot of us are having a tough time believing that there are actual "physics" in the game. No one is complaining that they put it in the game or the about the idea of putting it in the game.

It's like a lot of other situations over the years in Madden and countless other sports games in that it's not the idea, but the implementation.

The positives that I can see at this point are very few and far between. Finally, when a player makes contact with another player, they lose momentum and slow down and gang tackling is finally in the game. But, I have a hard time calling it a true physics based engine when there is no foot planting, the players skate all over the field with that weightless feel and 180lb DBs can stand up Brandon Jacobs.

This engine is what it is at this point. A work in progress, but it would be a major stretch and would require a huge imagination to call this a "new physics engine".
Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #51
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Am I the only one starting to get really FRUSTRATED with this PHYSICS ENGINE???

Quote:

We complain because basic, fundamental aspects of the game not only do not work properly, they often barely function at all.

We still have that same complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 10

I think people need to know what the Infinity Engine is and what it really does to the game. EA throws around the term "real time physics". Even Trey Wingo says it when you go online in Madden 13. But the IE DOES NOT USE REAL TIME PHYSICS. This is a qoute from the Madden dev team given to Jay Robinson from ESPN.com. "This is a physics-driven animation engine that layers on top of “Madden’s” older animations and augments every outcome you’ll see in the game." What the IE does is takes all of Madden canned, mo-cap animations, and determines which animation will play out according to what situation your're in. In a conversation with EMMDOTFRISK, a community manager from EA sports, he confirmed on another thread that this is indeed the case. Here is his quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmdotFrisk
100% Physics has No animations and no motion capture.
The term "real time physics" really applies to the only other football game to feature a physics engine, Backbreaker. This is what the Euphoria engine does."Euphoria is a game animation engine created by NaturalMotion based on Dynamic Motion Synthesis, NaturalMotion's proprietary technology for animating 3D characters on-the-fly "based on a full simulation of the 3D character, including body, muscles and motor nervous system". Instead of using predefined animations, the characters' actions and reactions are synthesized in real-time; they are different every time, even when replaying the same scene". The reason why Madden 13 tackles and gameplay seem awfully familar is because it is. All the animations are the same, the IE just does a better job of picking out which ones play out and when. Until the IE reaches the level of Euphoria, then it can never be called "real-time physics". Hopefully, they can make the IE into a beast of a physics engine, but I would not be shocked if EA scraped the IE after 3 years of working on it. Time will tell, all we can do is hope for the best.

Here are the links where I got all my info...ESPN Jay Robinson interview:http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tec...cs-career-mode

.Euphoria info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria_(software)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
And this is what bothers me -- they technically already had a 'test dummy'. Why would we, as football gamers, have to go through those same trials and errors as the previously titles if they have already figured away around them? Will NCAA have to start from where Madden is this year? That makes no sense to me at all.

This was rushed -- instead of something that really could have made this game special once it was perfected, it was used as a back of the box feature.
Spot on, I was thinking the same thing. I'm just thinking its either two things or both, the foundation of the game is just so not easy to work with or the Madden development team just lacks the skills to be able to produce a product on par with FIFA. The madden dev team implemented the FIFA locomotion system in Madden 11, but you would never know it. I have just come to realization we will never have a fundamentally correct football game. It's just sad.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #54
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
The thing about all this is, for all the lip service I feel we have been given over the years, I do have confidence in this new team to make a solid NFl simulation, just not on these consoles. Some people are comparing FIFA's three year plan for physics and I would agree to a certain extent but I think Madden on these consoles is the "test dummy" for Madden on the next consoles.
I just don't believe this anymore. If Tiburon has never done it, I don't believe they have it in them to produce an NFL Sim type game. New team or not, Madden has never been that. They talked about how big they were going this year and this game is what we got. I just don't believe it. These systems have more than enough to create an accurate game, they don't need more powerful hardware, they need to focus on details and stop taking shortcuts. Stop taking the easy route. They can tell me they know what to do all they want, but if it still doesn't show in the game, that only tells me they CANNOT do it. They just don't have the talent.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 09-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I just don't believe this anymore. If Tiburon has never done it, I don't believe they have it in them to produce an NFL Sim type game. New team or not, Madden has never been that. They talked about how big they were going this year and this game is what we got. I just don't believe it. These systems have more than enough to create an accurate game, they don't need more powerful hardware, they need to focus on details and stop taking shortcuts. Stop taking the easy route. They can tell me they know what to do all they want, but if it still doesn't show in the game, that only tells me they CANNOT do it. They just don't have the talent.
I couldn't agree more with this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #56
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I can't argue with you about the promises that have repeatedly fell short, imo, but I do believe next-gen Madden is built on a foundation not conducive for realistic football. I think it will take new consoles for this current team to set a solid football foundation. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Kolbe from The Show is heading up the next console effort for Maddenas we speak.

I think at this point it's mainly about milking all they can out of current gen Madden and it's FUBAR foundation, then releasing a quality sim for the new consoles. I look at it like this, it's not like Weber and the current team can come out and state current Madden is a lost cause, wait for the new consoles but they have hinted at it. Now I will concede that for whatever reason, the realistic things it seems Madden could currently accomplish now, its' not being programmed to do so but again I believe that has more to do with keeping it "fun" to sell, than this team can't do better.

My belief about Madden on the new consoles is also fostered by my belief that the exclusive will be ending and this team can focus on making a quality NFL simulation versus some football hybrid with mass appeal for a ROI on the cost of the exclusive. If somehow the exclusive gets extended, which I highly doubt, then I suspect the new consoles will just be more of the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »