Home

Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video

This is a discussion on Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #97
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
No offense to anyone, but a lot of you guys are brutal lol.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having high expectations. But, did you really, in your heart of hearts, expect a 180 degree turn from Madden 08? What I expected to see is improvment and that's what I see in this video.

It's amazing that some of you are in a uproar about this not being a whole new engine. Honestly, what did you expect? Would it be nice to have an entire new physics engine? Of course it would! But it's impractical to think it would happen with Madden 2009. After all, isn't Madden 2008 a revamped engine from the 2006 & 2007 editions? I'm not certain, but that's been my understanding. If that is the case, then I would not expect them abandon the engine after one year's use.

I'm not saying to dumb down expectations of what a next gen football game should be. I have expectations of my own, believe me and there is still LOTS of room for improvment. But after Madden '06, '07, and '08, again, what did you really expect.

On another note, I know I'll catch flack for this, but I'm not all that impressed with Euphoria. Yes, I have GTA IV, and have seen the Backbreaker vid diaries. But, it's not anything that you don't get used to. I mean, it's nice when you get hit by a train or freefall from a building. But other than that, I hardly notice it. Again, would it be nice to have Euphoria? Of course! But I don't think it's everything that everyone makes it out to be. Give me a healthy variety of animations a la NFL2K5 and I'm good.
Your probably right that we expect too much from year to year, but I think the biggest reason we as a group do nit-pick is the fact that 4 yrs into next-gen we are still "wishing" for past-gen aspects to make it back into the game! We're not even talking about future improvements ... just get the old stuff back in the game!

Overall I have always enjoyed the gameplay, however it's hard to be happy when many of the positive features from years past are not even in our "advanced" versions of today's game? I don't recall which year was my favorite, but I vivdly recall having some of my favorite franchise years with an earlier version that included custom playbooks, formation subs, player/position editing (i.e. make my DE an OLB), in-game saves, accelerated clock, stadium building, coach editing (so I can change the coach to me in the first season), and several other options I can't think of off the top of my head.

I don't really consider it nit-picking to expect those important features of past to be included in our current games. EA always seems to focus too much effort on gimmicky features versus more important gameplay/sim/editing features. Just my .02

Last edited by Steeler99; 05-15-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #98
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
And this will never happen. What you call engine in this statement game developers call a Library. When sports game developers start up they create a library that houses ALL of their games. This is why it is easy for them to move people off one game and work on another one. While they have to code for a different game, they are still coding within the same library. That's why EA was able to get this guy. The Library/Engine is the same engine in every game, it's just a different sport. They are not going to get a new library for one game under their umbrella. It would have to be for all of them. So the only thing you and I can hope for is that the current library is flexible enough for the desired changes that we want to see.
Very good points

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #99
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Just curious...how is no suction tackling, faster and more varied animation collisions and the ability to have multiple ways of breaking tackles no difference?
I think his point is that he doesn't see any of that stuff in the video. Personally, I don't either. I see the same exact tackle/juke/missed tackle animations that I've seen for the last 8 years. I still don't see gang tackles. I still see defenders getting blown out of the play. I still see defenders just stopping as soon as the animation declares it is a tackle instead of following through on the play.

Really, it is the same thing we hear every single year. I just don't see the difference.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #100
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

OVR: 6

Its a bit suprising how easily some people are swayed or impressed. That is exactly why EA has started advertising so early this year. Considering their track record on the 360/PS3, there is NOWAY I am getting my hopes up or commiting to buying this thing. Its kinda like "tackling looks a bit better..... Im buying it!!!" Did we forget about all the bugs/glitches that infested 08? One thing that has been missing from Madden forever animation-wise, that I think there is no excuse for, is a tripping/stumbling animation. How many times in a game do you almost see a LB get juked, but he sticks out his hand and barely is able to trip the runner up......or a back is going around the edge and just loses his footing and stumbles. it happens almost every play, but you never see it "in the game".
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #101
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: New Blog And Video (Tackling Engine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
I feel as if this article is a subtle or not so subtle attempt to undermine Backbreaker's newly touted ragdoll animations. While that game won't be a true competitor to EA, it does seem like an EA practice to preempt any competition in their sector which may be burgeoning.
Backbreaker uses NaturalMotion, NOT ragdoll physics.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #102
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG_Meth
Backbreaker uses NaturalMotion, NOT ragdoll physics.
Probably a semantics debate.

The definition from the article appears to align with what I've seen of Backbreaker:

"Ragdoll: When physics are used to take over posing a 3D character, usually with a system that behaves like a crash test dummy, or a dummy with springs attached called "Powered Ragdoll".
Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #103
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
Probably a semantics debate.

The definition from the article appears to align with what I've seen of Backbreaker:

"Ragdoll: When physics are used to take over posing a 3D character, usually with a system that behaves like a crash test dummy, or a dummy with springs attached called "Powered Ragdoll".
Trust me, there's a big difference.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #104
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I agree with this. There is no add on tackling, which is gonna be a problem IMO with the way the backs break out of tackles, but I'm just not in the mood to take these things to task anymore.
That's a great point. Without add on tackling more freedom in the running game and broken tackles could be tough to stop. Hopefully they at least do away with the falling down animation defenders tended to have when they come into contact with a tackling animation taking place that they are not a part of.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »