Home

Madden 09 Preview, Screenshots and Video: GameSpot

This is a discussion on Madden 09 Preview, Screenshots and Video: GameSpot within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #33
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Madden 09 Preview, Screenshots and Video: GameSpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Man, I come out of one post with a bit of enthusiasm and into this one to be taken back down.

Yeah, that 2nd play didn't look good. And the 1st play was worse with the left OT & OG off in the distance waiting for the kicker to blitz off the sideline while the DE is sacking the QB. Absolutely no recognition of the DE.

But Collingsworth sounded good. That's the type of play specific commentary I've been waiting for. Too bad he didn't mention the inept blocking on that 1st play. The key will be if they add to his commentary next year or if we're stuck with these lines until they change commentators again.
It's kinda weird how one play will look like "man that was a great block." And then in the same vid or another you're like WTF was that? I have the same problem with Fifa's vaunted 35 point decision engine. (which I have a feeling is somehow involved in the coding for this game,too.) In that game the AI is really hit or miss. Sometimes the game flows so smooth and all of the decisions make sense. Then you'll have the AI seemingly get confused as to what it's supposed to be doing. And then it either doesn't do anything or does something stupid. I really think it's just a matter of tuning a work in progress of new tech. The whole Procedural Awareness seems to work well in single 1 on 1 scenarios, but gets "confused"sometimes in situations where there are multiple decisions to be made in regards to multiple player interactions. Or a more advanced decision like " I blocked my man, what do I do now?"

It'll come in time. Maybe there just needs to be a further evolving of the code to factor in those decision variables. But I have seen in vids where the OL tries to go find another man to block. It just seems to be late, awkward and really kills the experience because it was a fundimental decision that ended up messing up the play...

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
1st play was worse with the left OT & OG off in the distance waiting for the kicker to blitz off the sideline while the DE is sacking the QB. Absolutely no recognition of the DE.
That play was a screen pass to the HB. It was not 100% correct but the QB also did not dump it. The OG should of gave the blitz a push before moving in to block for the screen but it could have been turned into a gain. Just poor play management on the player.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #35
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Man, I come out of one post with a bit of enthusiasm and into this one to be taken back down.

Yeah, that 2nd play didn't look good. And the 1st play was worse with the left OT & OG off in the distance waiting for the kicker to blitz off the sideline while the DE is sacking the QB. Absolutely no recognition of the DE.

But Collingsworth sounded good. That's the type of play specific commentary I've been waiting for. Too bad he didn't mention the inept blocking on that 1st play. The key will be if they add to his commentary next year or if we're stuck with these lines until they change commentators again.
Yeah the defensive lineplay in most if not all of the passing videos seems bad to horrid. It's a problem in the NCAA vids too if you look - so I'm thinking it's something inherent in the engine. It's almost as if the game is trying to render a "cool-looking" animation instead of what should occur naturally if ratings are truly being taken into account on OL/DL matchups. It's interesting that IGN and Gamespot got the memo not to drop the QB back 30yds, but it seems easily doable if people choose to. And I can't believe the QB animations look like they're going to be horrible another year - that's ridiculous. Also have seen next to no player interaction between defenders (LBs/DBs) and receivers (WRs/RBs) in the secondary.

It's definitely a pretty game though. A few weeks ago I thought NCAA looked better, but I think Madden will have it beat. Since they first debuted the analog running I've loved it/it's potential - I was saying last year I wanted to see something similar in APF, and it seems Tiburon has managed to implement it well in Madden (if combined appropriately w/momentum and player ratings). The game still has a certain hollow-ness to it because it's lacking certain little details. But it's looking to have definitely progressed from what Madden '08 was. Guessing TeamXBox will have to give the gameplay a 11.3 this year since they said it was damn near perfect (9.8) last year

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 9

at the :50 second mark the O-Line was flat out pathetic. Then again, that play may have worked best as a screen play, and those guys may have went out there to protect the screen. Madden still needs to make the defense less powerful and/or the O-line smarter for the user who doesn't realize that.

the 1:00 mark. I hate those after-sack and after-INT motions that the titantron does. They're not bad, but they remind me of 08... and oh yea.. 07 too. EA should do everything to separate from those games.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #37
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
at the :50 second mark the O-Line was flat out pathetic. Then again, that play may have worked best as a screen play, and those guys may have went out there to protect the screen. Madden still needs to make the defense less powerful and/or the O-line smarter for the user who doesn't realize that.

the 1:00 mark. I hate those after-sack and after-INT motions that the titantron does. They're not bad, but they remind me of 08... and oh yea.. 07 too. EA should do everything to separate from those games.
Yeah, I never want to see the Jumbotron again. Those animations were played out in 06. Show a replay on them for Pete's sake....Or at least have it be a transtioanl gateway for the Cris Collinsworth breakdown. Start out in replay and then zoom into the screen transitioning to that mode. Something. You could even have it showing the ref. That was just a failed attempt to cover for really blah presentation. And just added to the "blah." And still grates on the nerves this year.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #38
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe
Cris Collinsworth doesnt stop amazing me with his commentary. However, I just hope that the player specific lines dont get too repetitive

I'm sure they will over time - kind of hard not to when you play a franchise.
I'm hoping I can last out to Halloween before I turn the announcers off. Last year I didn't make it to Opening Day.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #39
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67
Collinsworth sounds good but........ the ..........other ............dude........... has..........too .............many ...........pauses.......in his ......speech
Next year, just get Stephen Hawking to do the PBP
Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #40
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Guessing TeamXBox will have to give the gameplay a 11.3 this year since they said it was damn near perfect (9.8) last year

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »