Home

Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System

This is a discussion on Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #9

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Ian Let's install a Good and Diverse TEAM Blitz System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
If you could select or deselect auto-motion blitz/fake blitz for each play, it would bring a lot more mind games into the fray.
you can show blitz each play...triangle then left trigger to the left...and i could be wrong but i think they already have auto motion in...it just seems to be done with no point in mind...
Old 09-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
you can show blitz each play...triangle then left trigger to the left...and i could be wrong but i think they already have auto motion in...it just seems to be done with no point in mind...
I know, but that moves nearly everyone. I'm talking about having an exact counter, fake-blitz, which mimics the auto-movement of the blitzes that LBz is talking about.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #11

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
I know, but that moves nearly everyone. I'm talking about having an exact counter, fake-blitz, which mimics the auto-movement of the blitzes that LBz is talking about.
ohhh okay my bad...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

LBzrule this is terrific post!! I love your ideas and they are exactly what I expect to see out of 2010. Blitzers should attack with reckless abandon and a sense of urgency!! However, if they don't get home(sack or pressure the QB) the users stomach should drop because deep down he knows the potential of getting hit with a big play has just went up exponentially!! I like the idea of auto motion and player specific animations on defense. For example, Urlacher and Briggs step into the A gaps before every snap before blitzing or dropping off into coverage. What we have touched on here is each teams specific style of play. Hopefully this can be captured in 2010 offensively and defensively. When I play the Eagles,Ravens, Steelers etc..I should be prepared for a heavy dose of exotic blitzes. When I play the Bears,Tampa, and Colts I should be putting together an offensive package designed to attack the various Cover 2 schemes. Right now we just don't get that in Madden 09 on offense or defense. Great post bruh!!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 13

Outstanding post. I would love to hear a response from Ian. My concern is (without trying to take a cheap shot) is that you know more about football X's and O's than the people at EA, making it difficult for them to implement these changes.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

What LB said, but with a tier play calling system. I don't like being stuck with EA's combinations of coverage, blitzes & stunts. For example, if you want to blitz the WLB from a 4-3 odd front, you have maybe 2 choices, and you're stuck with the coverage & stunts EA gives with those particular "plays".

Give us a tier system so that we can combine stunts, blitzes & coverages as we see fit.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
What LB said, but with a tier play calling system. I don't like being stuck with EA's combinations of coverage, blitzes & stunts. For example, if you want to blitz the WLB from a 4-3 odd front, you have maybe 2 choices, and you're stuck with the coverage & stunts EA gives with those particular "plays".

Give us a tier system so that we can combine stunts, blitzes & coverages as we see fit.
SECOND THAT!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I got more. Ya'll ready. It goes like this LOL. Let's add some more things that govern how well defenses and defenders play. Each team defense should have a Group/Unit Cohesion rating that is governed by a leadership attribute - yes straight out of all pro football.

The player with the leadership attribute gives other defenders a boost. His presence increases the attributes of players on the defense with him by up to 4 points. This attribute would emphasize the importance of one player to a team. There could be a 4 star leadership system. Only one defender in the league can have the 4 star, sorry, it has to be Ray Lewis. So his presence can increase the entire Ravens D attributes in certain categories.

Now we may take another guy like Bob Sanders for the Colts. His presence on that D let's say is a 3 star and he increases the ability of the entire Colts Defense by up to 3 points in particular categories - mostly run defense category. Notice the Colts D is a completely different run D with Sanders in there. Now without Sanders their Run D ratings should take a 3 point hit. Their Cover 2 pass coverage would still be strong but their run D ratings should drop off.

Back to Lewis. Let's say Lewis gets hurt. The run D drops off a little bit, but they have a second leader in Ed Reed who is a 2 tier leader so their coverage might take a little hit but not much, their run D will suffer moreso. The other leader saves them from taking two big of a hit.

Back to the Colts who other than Sanders have Freeney as a leader. Their pass rush will remain the same if Sanders goes down and Freeney stays healthy. But let's say both Sanders and Freeney go down, then their run D and pass rush take a hit.

What is being emphasized in this system are the big names and their importance to their respective defenses and what happens to those defenses when the presence of those guys is not there.

Not all teams will have a defensive leader and hence not all are as fortunate to experience the benefit of having that unit cohesion that the ones that do experience.

The leadership scale would work like this.

4 Star Leader = increases the play of all other defenders on his team through a ratings boost in significant categories (not physical like speed and strength) such as block shedding, pursuit, pass rush rating (which I shall talk about shortly), explosion rating (which I will also talk about shortly), tackling, play recognition, run defense (depending on who the leader is - Lewis would be the only 4 star so he would increase run defense rating). A team with a Safety who has a 3 star rating for instance would increase their pass D ratings and whatever that Safety is good at such as pass rushing.

3 Star Leader = increases the play of all defenders on his team through ratings boost commensurate with his best abilities. I just described this at the end above as well as in the Bob Sanders example. Only what that Safety does well or what that player does well does he increase all other players on his team.

2 Star Leader = increases ONLY the play of the defenders in his unit through a ratings boost in significant categories.

1 Star Leader = increases only the play of the defender next to him through a ratings boost in categories that that leader excels at.

No Leader = pray for your defense LOL.

Determining the Leaders.

4 Star Leader = the spokes person for the ENTIRE team. The Entire Team is built around this player and this player is the face of not only the defense, but the team. That's why Lewis could be the only one on the game.

3 Star Leader = a spokesperson for the team in whose absence the defense falls off considerably. The entire team however is not built around this player. The defense might be though. Examples = Bob Sanders, Brian Dawkins, Derrick Brooks.

2 Star Leader = a spokesperson for the defense only and who excels at his position and his presence causes others at his position to excel. Without his presence the players in his unit fall off. Example = Shawne Merriman, Ed Reed, this year thus far John Abraham.

1 Star Leader = not too vocal, but serves as a captain making only the player beside him better. If it is a CB then he makes the Safety closest to him better, if you move them around in nickel and the nickel back is by him then the nickel back is the one who gets the treatment based on proximity. Example = Teddy Bruschi.

Back in a sec to talk about pass rush, explosion, pass rush moves, changing the show blitz and on the fly front shifts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »