Home

Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

This is a discussion on Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #353
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Honestly, Madden 09 the game that's sucked the enthusiasm out of me

Honestly, this thread has sucked the enthusiasm out of me.

That was my poor attempt at humor for the day.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #354
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...your spinning arguments that have nothing to do with anything. Promoting their own brand doesn't mean they're not trying to give us a realsitic NFL experience. It just means they are trying to promote their own brand. They can do both...they just haven't done it the way we want it yet.

I'm not saying anything you've mentioned can't ever be done, just trying to give some perspective here. In fact, I gave you an example of how it could be done in a more low budget way. You're only arguing extremes though. To expect this game to have EVERYTHING that's EVER been in any sports game all at once is a one-year turnaround is naive and silly.

It amuses me how someone has an idea and then decides that it has to be feasible if they compiled it from various other game's ideas. It's beyond just the money, it's also about priority. The reason some games have option A, but not option B, and then the competition has the opposite isn't always "ha ha, we got the consumer." It's often an issue of priority.

Every game developer has to make tough decisions about what can and can't make it in a given year. If you choose not to believe Ian and Phill (who I'm sure will explain things like this to you), feel free to ask any one of the numerous developers for other games that frequent the site. They'll tell you... there's a valid reason (generally speaking...not saying that Madden, for example, can't do more than it has) why some games have things others don't.

Also, as I recall, things like audio take up considerable space. Not that that isn't a combatable issue, but it's something to consider. Additionally, if they put in multiple announcers then people would just complain that the lines weren't good enough. That's the point, it's always a case of escalation. They add A, B, and C and we then ask for D, E, and F

I'm not saying it can't ever be done...just that you're not going to get absolutely every little wish and dream rolled into one development cycle. It's not about whether or not they care about us, it's about resources. Yes, in the end it does come down to money.

Nobody in any retail industry is going to give you a product with no hopes of a profit. What you're asking of Madden (in total, not by breakdown) is to do what is not YET possible to do without serious loss (if at all, do to some restraints of the systems they develop for As I understand it RAM is an issue...and not just for Madden).

As for the constant "EA doesn't care about us" comments. No,as a company they don't...at least not as anything more than consumers

Neither does 2K, SCEA, or any other company you choose to mention. It's okay though, because we don't care about them either. We just demand what WE want without consideration for their end of things. It's a perfectly normal busiiness relationship.

None of this is defense of what Madden has been. Ian knows he needs to step it up and there is plenty of work to be done. I'm just talking about rational thought.

I'm all for your ideas. I'm sure the developers are all for them as well (more for them to pool from). I hope they eventually get to the point where they have ALL these types of things. It's just so easy to get caught up in wishlist ideas...not as easy to actually get them all incorporated right away.

Take care
I am not asking for just "MY IDEAS" I am just asking for some kinda step forward. The examples I gave were examples of how other games have progressed. I showed hey they could be used in Madden.
My big issue is not with Ian Phill or any of the Madden team but with EA. I think it is plain and simple to see the fact that Madden gets the least attention. There haven't been any strides forward in some time. Since the new Gen systems I think we have taken a few back...
I understand it would be CRAZY to buy Madden and expect 2k5 type game play, Backbreaker type tackling, 3 announce crews, training facility, Ect, Ect, Ect. But the point is that these other games have taken pretty big strides toward being a more complete game and here we are every year still begging for better game play, better shadows, better lighting and so on and so forth. These things should not be on my wishlist every year. These things should be a given!
Your right I don't care what EA wants but then again they aren't giving me money. I along with every other football fan pay $60 a year for this game, $600 for my ps3, $40 a month on internet connection to play this game. I do expect the very best THEY CAN GIVE, if they were trying to provide us with the best product every year then it is understandable but they don't. Again nothing against the Madden team I know that they care or they wouldn't be here.
What stides forward has Madden made though? The last new inovation was Superstar mode and they haven't fixed it's bugs since it was released. Since switching to next gen the game play has fallen considerably. These are things we shouldn't have to worry about. There should be someone incharge of Gameplay, another incharge of Graphics, Another for online play, another for Franchise and another for Superstar. Each should have to upgrade their part of the game every year. THis way the things we already have stay fresh and up to date. Then maybe our stupid little wish list stuff would finally make it to the top of the priority list. But as long as the priorities are things that should be updated every year we will never see the kind of advancements in Madden that we have seen in other sports titles.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #355
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Do you really think Ian and Phil would be here asking questions on how to improve the game if they weren't allowed to because "The Suits" say they can't?

If that's the case then Ian and Phil are the greatest time wasters I've ever met.

I would get bored going to a forum and asking for opinions/ideas knowing I couldn't use any of them.

Twitch Stream
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #356
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTown
I am not asking for just "MY IDEAS" I am just asking for some kinda step forward. The examples I gave were examples of how other games have progressed. I showed hey they could be used in Madden.
My big issue is not with Ian Phill or any of the Madden team but with EA. I think it is plain and simple to see the fact that Madden gets the least attention. There haven't been any strides forward in some time. Since the new Gen systems I think we have taken a few back...
I understand it would be CRAZY to buy Madden and expect 2k5 type game play, Backbreaker type tackling, 3 announce crews, training facility, Ect, Ect, Ect. But the point is that these other games have taken pretty big strides toward being a more complete game and here we are every year still begging for better game play, better shadows, better lighting and so on and so forth. These things should not be on my wishlist every year. These things should be a given!
Your right I don't care what EA wants but then again they aren't giving me money. I along with every other football fan pay $60 a year for this game, $600 for my ps3, $40 a month on internet connection to play this game. I do expect the very best THEY CAN GIVE, if they were trying to provide us with the best product every year then it is understandable but they don't. Again nothing against the Madden team I know that they care or they wouldn't be here.
What stides forward has Madden made though? The last new inovation was Superstar mode and they haven't fixed it's bugs since it was released. Since switching to next gen the game play has fallen considerably. These are things we shouldn't have to worry about. There should be someone incharge of Gameplay, another incharge of Graphics, Another for online play, another for Franchise and another for Superstar. Each should have to upgrade their part of the game every year. THis way the things we already have stay fresh and up to date. Then maybe our stupid little wish list stuff would finally make it to the top of the priority list. But as long as the priorities are things that should be updated every year we will never see the kind of advancements in Madden that we have seen in other sports titles.
lol...around and around we go. Look...we are talking about two entirely different things. You seem intent on rehashing Madden's failures...a point on which we have no disagreement.

You are making this a circular discussion on what Madden has been. It's not new, it's all been said before. Nothing you are saying is anything I disagreed with (other than the hyperbole you inject into your comments...as I would with someone overly supportive of Madden), but you are still arguing extremes. I'm honestly wondering if you're arguing for the sake of arguing...lol.

All this got going because I mearly explained that comparing the situations between what FIFA did and what people are asking for in Madden are not the same. It, as per usual, has turned back to the fallback "EA doesn't care" stuff.

For the record, everyone knows that EA backpeddled into the "next gen" systems. Again, not new news. What people are forgetting is that almost all of there games have steadiliy improved once they got a sense of direction. FIFA and the NHL series are both considered the front runners now (By many, opposing views are present, of course). NBA Live has made huge strides. NCAA and Madden both showed marked improvements this past iteration. So the "suits" might have recognized a need for change

It's a process. I think it's fair to say that the have a sense of direction now. We'll see how it works out, of course, but that much is clear.

Remember too...you're the one shelling out your 60 bucks each year (from what you said)...not me. If it's so hopeless, maybe you should reconsider your purchases. I'm still perfectly happy (as many are) playing 2K5 with updated rosters until Madden catches my attention again. As I said, we'll see what Ian gets done. I just find humor in villifying a business for acting like a business...lol

All I'm saying is harping over what should have been is useless. Your ideas (and I said your ideas because I'm addressing you...not because I'm implying you are only wanting your ideas...lol. For further clarification) can be put to good use and I'm sure Ian is paying attention.

Again, to clarify (and prevent yet another "but see..." response) I am not disagreeing that Madden dropped the ball. I just disagree that to fix the problem they have to hit on every major area in sports gaming history...lol.

Oh...and Backbreaker can't count as revolutionary in any way since it's not even a game. Plus, aside from the tackle physics and variety in the limited viewing we had, what else does it have to offer?

With that, I'm done for good...promise
Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #357
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyBanana
Do you really think Ian and Phil would be here asking questions on how to improve the game if they weren't allowed to because "The Suits" say they can't?

If that's the case then Ian and Phil are the greatest time wasters I've ever met.

I would get bored going to a forum and asking for opinions/ideas knowing I couldn't use any of them.
Neve said any of that...
Old 11-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #358
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Is anyone feeling the same way about Madden 10? I liked this game for awhile, but now it's just getting very stale to me. Some gripes I have with it:

-the commentary. Just awful. Kills any immersion you have in playing in a real TV broadcast. Makes the game very boring.

-The cutscenes. Not varied enough and makes every game seem the same. I would like to see Madden go to a more true style TV presentation.

-Barebones franchise mode. The Extra Point is simply a waste of space (except the Super Bowl which is reasonably well done). Doesn't feel like you're playing in a season, just 16 quick games in a row.

-The crowd. It looks terrible and again just kills the immersion factor. I would sacrifice some player detail for an upgrade to the crowd and sidelines.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #359
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Still playing it and still enjoying quite a bit.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #360
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

OVR: 17

same here, still playin, still enjoying. tho a little more time has been taken from madden with NCAA and NBA 2k10. Madden still gets love every other day tho.

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »