Home

Everytime I Get On The "Ian" Bandwagon, I Remember Something.

This is a discussion on Everytime I Get On The "Ian" Bandwagon, I Remember Something. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #65
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Everytime I Get On The "Ian" Bandwagon, I Remember Something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Form letter response: I can't say anything about new features until January.

Feature? That's a bad word for me. Didn't this years Madden boast "tons" of new features? I figure something that he's talking about goes more toward gameplay and not so much a feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #66
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecahl
Is it really so hard to simply take the last-gen engine, give it spiffy next-gen graphics, add some good presentation and then slap the game onto shelves?
It's probably complicated. Since, I believe all of last-gens Maddens were built for the PS2 and were then implemented for the other systems. And now Madden is built using the 360 and implemented to the PS3, so taking a PS2 built engine and copying it over to the next gen Xbox 360 does sound hard to me.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 27

I just want to say that even though I know the Madden devs have expressed their own honest disappointment with Madden 06 and 07, I just want them to know that they had the right idea in a few aspects. For one, they had the right idea of "BIG" meaning big camera shots that capture the scene, and framing closeups. The framework was there. The only thing it was missing was variety in that (same scenes happened over and over again), and an actual TV-style presentation. With 09, you just don't get "BIG", you kinda get "medium". See football on TV is "BIG". Large shots, lots of framing, lots of bringing you close to the action. It's about capturing the moment. See my examples here: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2038828210

If you can capture the philosohpy of the following shots in your presentation style, it would really go a long way towards the immersion factor:

(you sorta did this in 09 with pre-pay camera's, except it doesn't show the QB)

^^^you sorta did this in 09 with one of the pre-play camera's, except it doesn't show the QB. This to me is small but important part of what beyond broadcast is supposed to be about... lots of angles you wouldn't get on TV.

Like I always say... Madden 09 looks great, there were just some missed opportunities to show it off more.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 10-25-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #68
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
...don't expect major features or marketing buzz...expect more things along the lines of fixes, tweaks, animation changes, etc
Quote:
It's just still very new and we aren't going to jump in feet first and spend a ton of time on new & flashy tech when there are a lot of other areas that can be improved (without a total physics rewrite)
^^^
Excellente! This was a major concern of mine for 2010. I've been a believer that 09 was closer to being great than most believe, and the biggest problems were CPU AI related. The gameplay doesn't need any massive reworking that would take a lot of time and inevitably produce new bugs and glitches. Just a fix here and a tweak there, and we're moving in the right direction...

Not to say that some areas don't need an overhaul, because they certainly do (ie. WR/DB & OL/DL interaction, presentation, etc). However, for me it's more about the missing features and options from past editions making a triumphant return, along with a much improved CPU AI... and BOOM! 2010 will rule.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #69
Pro

OVR: 10

Interesting thread.

I gotta wonder if Ian will be able to hold back himself until January

Doing a good job so far though, so keep it up. Best lead designer I know of tbh.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #70
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

This is the reason I am sad that EA hasn't bought 2k yet. That may be the only possible way we will ever see an integration of that team into Tiberion. With 2k falling off a bit, I can't help but wonder if they may be better off being bought.

That said, I am drinking the Kool Aid on Madden 2010. I believe Ian can get the job done with a full year on the project. I am thinking the game will be really good next year.

Ian, there is one thing I would like you to take a look at that doesn't get mentioned much on here... The size of a yard. In Madden, 10 yards just feels too short. Maybe it's the acceleration of the player, I am not sure. It could be the size of the field... It is due to this problem that the running needed to be gimped in 09 because any nice push up the middle in previous years would get you 8 yards. While I am glad the blocking is being looked at for next year, without fixing this problem, we could see 8 yards per carry again.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 1

i agree with the immersion factor post, though i wouldn't care if the graphics didn't change much but the game became more fluid and deep. i'd love to be able to throw a fade in the end zone.. if a corner drops off the receiver, a quick dart and a gain of five.. i'd love to be able to run a draw consistently on 3rd down with the d-line fanning out.. to have a running back chuck a rushing lineman and then split for the screen..

those little touches would be sweet and there's nothing better than calling the right play and being able to execute that play without a glitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 1

I wouldn't be surprised to the see the 2K and EA deal rekindled... seeking alpha (via reuters) has a great article about consolidation during economic downturns. We often sit here and tell Ian what we want and so forth, but Ian needs the resources to make that happen. As much as it is easy to crack on EA, you need a large globally scaled operation to create high profits and pay for the R+D. Yes, you know, those evil profits idiot politicians rip on and want to tax to death.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1010...source=reuters

That gives a little insight on why you should expect acquisitions if the bear market continues. That being said, it would probably be 2k11 at best, due to resource time and development needed. For now, I still say play Madden 09 and enjoy it and continue to provide feedback good and bad and hope Madden 2010 hits the sweet spot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »