Home

IAN -- Two simple ways to improve on passing

This is a discussion on IAN -- Two simple ways to improve on passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #33
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: IAN -- Two simple ways to improve on passing

I dunno, you might be right. It's absurd that the game has been on next-gen for 4 years (3.5 if you count '06 as a half-cycle), and they still don't have some of these basic fundamentals implemented correctly. I mean, I'm no programmer, but it seems pretty obvious to me that if you're building a football game, you have to start with realistic line play, so I'm not sure why they've waited until cycle #5 to even attempt to address it.

Hopefully they fix both the AI and the animations for next year.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #34
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
I mean, I'm no programmer, but it seems pretty obvious to me that if you're building a football game, you have to start with realistic line play, so I'm not sure why they've waited until cycle #5 to even attempt to address it.
My guess is that they are all programmers and not students of the game. They seem to program the game from the perspective of someone that doesn't understand the strategy behind the mechanics. The line stunts are a good example of this. Whoever put them in didn't understand the purpose of a stunt.

Also, I feel after 3.5 years of this approach, it makes it that much harder to turn the game around. So even when the staff knows what to do, it's too difficult. The lack of tiered play calling on defense is an example of this.

IMO, there are 2 types of football fans. One is someone that watches a lot of football and can tell you who leads the league in defense, who's 2nd in all time passing yards, who won every Super Bowl, ect. The 2nd is someone that knows the strategy of the game. They know what a stunt is supposed to accomplish, what a LB reads pre/post snap, what certain pass patterns combinations try to accomplish, how to read a defense, ect. My guess is that Madden doesn't have enough of the 2nd type.

Ian(or maybe it was another EA rep) said something I probably won't forget as long as I post here. Something to the effect that we can't expect all his programmers to be well versed in football. Understandable. I can't imagine there are many students of football that can also program video games. But there has to be someone standing over their shoulder when they enstall these features so the features make football sense.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 10

Ian

Simple question, cant you have "hardcore" mode this year include all the things Bezo is talking about ie.....More complex controls, more "sim" style gameplay, more audible opions, having the ability call D-Line stunz, more individual hot routes etc... Seems like 09 all hardcore did was take away rewind and the backtrack feature and turn weapons off! This year can it be were hardcore has all "sim" style features?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #36
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

You didn't answer my question...do you really need to throw it away to a receiver on the opposite side of the field? Do you believe a QB actually processes all receivers and picks which one to throw it away to? I believe in this split second moment of panic, he just throws it in the nearest vicinity of who is close and where the least danger is.

mind if I answer?

no....MY QB (when playing madden) does not need to choose a particular receiver to throw the ball away...just throw the damn thing away!..ha ha...relax k_gun

as for a pump fake...keep it R1 but ADD left directional to pump fake to left/right half of field.

thanks Ian
Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
I'd rather just make throw-away do that automatically based on the AWR of your QB instead of making it a user-controlled thing. Thoughts on that?
This is a good idea. I'd like to see more dynamic things being dependant upon AWR.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 21

Ian -- regarding the QB throwing the ball away, anywhere in the redzone should have any QBs with good AWR just throw it high out of the back of the end zone, avoiding the penalty.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 11-22-2008, 02:57 AM   #39
Rookie

sabotage013's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I disagree with you here - I personally don't believe the double tap pump fake is a good mechanic. There are NUMEROUS times in 2k when I've tapped the button in a haste since I'm about to get sacked and ended up pump faking.

I've thought about changing it up this year to somehow make it directional...but I haven't decided on a mechanic. Something like LT + the button is kind of complicated you know? It's not bad...but it's not great. Did any of you play NCAA last year? What did you think about the R-stick directional pump fake?

As for the OP's idea of the receiver-based throw away, that seems just a bit too complex to me my man...mainly since it's probably not the best idea to add complexity to a control that no one really uses anyway. I'd rather just make throw-away do that automatically based on the AWR of your QB instead of making it a user-controlled thing. Thoughts on that?
Loved the direcional pump fake
Old 11-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #40
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72
I
Also, how many times do we go to pass to somebody that we think is open, only at the last second see the defender. Well, how about say you press X, or whatever receiver button and at the last second see a defender in zone coverage on him. What if you double tapped X or w/e button and your QB would kind of pump fake, going to throw the ball only to see at the last second a defender is there and pull the ball back
that's how it is in 2k5

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »