Home

EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

This is a discussion on EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #129
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose, but the truth is we the consumer are being forced to make only 1 decision, and that feels very wrong. We lost our rights. Do your agree?
What is this one decision I'm being forced to make?

Madden or no football game?

Backbreaker?
Tecmo?
Football Mogul?
Front Office Football?
Quick Hit Football?
Pro Football Simulator?

I mean, I see more than one football option out there. If I want to play football games but don't want Madden, I'm not forced to just sulk about it.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #130
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
Do some of you people even read? Clearly you don't.

lmfao @ the notion that not enough gamers are showing up to court to testify or whatever nonsense you guys suggest........

.....IN A CASE BETWEEN AMERICAN NEEDLE AND THE NFL. just lol!

Absolutely idiotic rambling from some people.

In summary for those too lazy to read a 500 word article about it......

American Needle is out to prove the NFL is violating the Antitrust act. If proven guilty, the NFL's exlcusive agreements are pretty much all then kaput because the NFL would lose it's special exemption status from these laws.

R-E-A-D. It won't kill you to have a clue what you are talking about.
I'm glad you think that is funny. I am the one who posted that. It is a holding of the Supreme Court and is relevant to this case. I don't know what witness will be brought forward, however I do know the law regarding admissible evidence in legal proceedings.
The NFL has a very good chance of losing this case if they don't follow proper legal procedure....Meaning they better hope a competent witness doesn't come into the courtroom prepared to challenge them based on facts and evidence according to the rules of the court. If anyone ever wants to know where the Law is located check a local Law library and look in the Annotated Statues. The Annotated Statues will give you the cite for the particular statute in question.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #131
Banned

OVR: 49

EA just better hope they dont get a bunch of us 2k football fans in the jury or its lights out,lol....just kidding.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #132
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
This is true but what many seem to not realize is the words "Same team".

He said the same team. All the time its the same company that makes diffeerent sports games , and not all fair well, but never the same team.

2k makes a solid basketball game but not baseball. Same company but not the same team.

EA makes a solid Hockey game but not football game, why not the same team.

It has never been done where a team that makes a certain great sports game works on a different sport. Im sure we all know why(Time).

I do believe if the SAME EXACT TEAM that developed MLB THE SHOW was to make a football title. I feel they would be very successful.

Actaullly if one team can take a year off and try another sport is the team that has deveolped MLB the Show. What more can they do? They nailed it already.
That's interesting. Would definitely take some time but it would be interesting.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #133
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

Lets play Hypothetical, Lets say they lose the exclusivity When is the soonest you think a game will come out from a 3rd party? Next year or 2012?

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #134
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I doubt it's in danger at this point, however after 5 years of owning the exclusive license, EA Sports has not made the case to gamers that they deserved the exclusive license. The question of whether it was deserved should have been put to rest years ago.
Quote:
In the words of William Munny in Unforgiven..."Deserve's got nothing to do with it."
Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #135
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
The exclusive licence wasn't just about money for the Nfl it was having a say in the making of the game. Madden can't have anything that portreys the NFL badly like tatoos and stuff.
No, it was pretty much all about money...

Here's a post from OS member DrJones (who worked at EA until the Great Purge a few years ago) that explains this better than I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
In the "olden days", the 3 companies paid the NFL/PA a royalty per unit sold, at roughly 10%. Let's say the total football market is about 6 million units. 6 million x $60 x 10% = $36M annually to the NFL. The current EA deal with the NFL pays them between $60M-$70M per year, regardless of units sold.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #136
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

The American Needle case against the NFL is about if the NFL can manage the properties of all thirty two NFL teams. That means if the NFL wins, the league can indeed manage the properties of the league because they are all one entity. If they rule for American Needle, it means that the teams decide on their own property rights (i. e., who makes the uniforms, who the official sponsors are, etc...)

This could actually hurt NFL videogame fans because it would mean that the NFL could be licensed, but not all thirty two teams. Imagine the PES and FIFA series' where some teams are in a league, but some teams aren't. That means that you could have Madden with the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans for example, but without the other thirty teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »