Home

EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

This is a discussion on EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

Getting rid of all exclusive lisences in videogames would be a great thing for us. Competition makes everyone better. Although, I would not be as excited for a 2K football game as I would have been in the past.. Ian, Phil and the gang seem like they have a good understanding of what we are looking for in a football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Do not be surprised when EA wins this lawsuit because Legal precedence is on their side.
That's the unfortunate part for us. But stranger things have happened...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

I just want variety, yes Ian and Co are making all the right noises, but I would still like the option to look at another current NFL game should Madden fail to deliver...........again
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPhillips
I was all for 2K but the way Ian and Phil are working on Our Madden 2010 gives me hope for the Madden franchise. So i could care less about the EA exclusive right thing.

Dear Anthony Phillips,
2011 is going to even be better then 2010. In fact its going to be the best game in history with everyone giving it perfect 10 ratings, so be sure to pick up both years!

signed,

Ian

Is it really that easy to make a sell with you? You havent even seen the game yet. Im not saying it wont be good, but why would you say a comment like this, off reading somones posts? Besides, more then one football game is a win/ win for everyone in this forum as history has showed.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 12

I want competition.

There's nothing wrong with having a selection of NFL games to choose from.

I 100% support getting rid of exclusivity licenses.

I want ESPN 2K back.

I'm tired of Madden.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Do not be surprised when EA wins this lawsuit because Legal precedence is on their side.
Actually, no it's not dude.

"Until recently, no traditionally structured sports league had ever avoided antitrust liability based on the single-entity defense. Indeed, between the years 1982 and 2006, the NFL clubs had raised the single-entity defense on seven different occasions, with the reviewing court rejecting this defense each time."

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/03/sport...reme_cou_1.php
Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #31
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Right now judging from APF, I don't think 2K is as capable of producing a great football game as they were a generation ago. Something happened to that team after the license situation, they were still talking about it in interviews about APF. It really hit them hard. Their skills have diminished, they're just not what they used to be. APF was such a sloppy game, I couldn't believe it. It just lacked so much polish.
I would think APF would be a good reason to think why 2K could produce a good football game, and why it's important for competition. I thought the WR/DB interaction video that Tiburon put out not too long ago looked great - but I'd say much of the demand for attention to that area of the game came from NFL2K5 and APF (and to a lesser degree maybe even last gen Madden). You can't look at APF as a full-fledged effort on 2K's part; it was a generic sports title and they didn't have anywhere near the same number of people working on the game as they would if the game were a true NFL game. Even if they had done everything right, still people are going to desire having NFL teams and players. Which is part of the reason the licenses give such a huge advantage from an exclusivity standpoint. But you look at the interactive sidelines, the individual QB drops/throws, OL/DL interaction, etc. There's a LOT of good that APF introduced 2yrs ago that people would love to see in Madden. Of course Madden will continue to improve, but football has lagged behind pretty much all the other next gen sports titles in terms of quality. Primarily because of the lack of competition

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #32
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Eh, if this was Around The Horn (ESPN), I'm selling this. Maybe I'm not clearly understanding it, but like someone already said, this seems like reaching at straws. I for one would not get my hopes up.

It would be great to have 2K Football back, but I don't know how they would bounce back after being out so long anyway. One would like to think they would blow it out the water, but you don't know.

The perfect scenario would've been for the exclusive license to never have happened and 2K could've built off of NFL2K5. If it would've evolved and been polished like NBA2K has, oh boy are we missing out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »