Home

Please tell me we will be able to throw a slant pass in 10

This is a discussion on Please tell me we will be able to throw a slant pass in 10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Please tell me we will be able to throw a slant pass in 10

By the way, I got those numbers vs the CPU...I don't play online anymore...it's glitch fest.

...I did meet a couple cool OS & MM members though.

Holla @ chaboi DeeJay!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Please tell me we will be able to throw a slant pass in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I agree with the OP, 100%.

This is an issue that I have spent over a week of actual game time on. Quick slants, and slants are a vital component in my offensive game plan. I use them to force the defense to roll up the corners in BNR. Also, its a great way to get a defense to play some zone when used effectively.

However, throwing quick slants & slants in '09 is a nightmare. Here's the numbers I ended up with.

Out of 100 balls thrown: 19 completed, 34 intercepted, 47 tipped, swatted, or dropped. 19 out of 100. I used Romo & Owens.

I have worked on timing, I tried to back shoulder the WR to protect the football. I even worked on throwing the ball low to keep it out of traffic...none of it worked.

81 of 100 passes gone in favor of the defense? Thats not right.

...and if you doubt these numbers, I seriously encourage anyone to do it on your own. Don't take my word for it.

I ran base packages on both offense & defense, then blitzed on defense to simulate the pressure...and max protected on offense.

i can't stand trying to execute my style of play, all I end up doing is punting. I can never setup a big play. I can't do anything underneath with any consistancy (except cheesy screen plays). So, I can't get singled up to go deep...

i'm totally convinced that this will not be a problem in 10.

WR/DB interaction, the momentum tweeks, decrease in overall game speed, and the re-scaled ratings. When you combine that with the new QB ratings & procedural awareness...its a no brainer.

This year, defenses will have to pick their poison. Die slow, or suddenly.

Dude, your just doing it wrong. You name the offensive play, defensive play(specific or set to random), gameplay level, and both teams and i'll go into practice mode right now and hit in the 70%+ range right now.

Hitting the slant, imo, is about nothing more than manipulating the OLB/Nickel Back on the slant side. You can do this with the TE or FB normally. If you have a specific defensive play in mind i'll run several against it and upload the videos. There are, again-imo, 4 spots to hit a slant route.

1.Immediate--against engage 8 or something like that.
2.Just before the hashmarks and outside of the OLB.
3.Just inside the hashmarks between the OLB and MLB
4.After crossing the face of the MLB.

All depending on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

Just an example:

Offense:Chiefs
Play: SB Ace Quick Slants
Primary WR D Bowe
QB Thigpen

Defense:Pats
Play: Dime Cover 2(since someone mentioned Cover 2 being difficult to run slants on)

Setup:None--stock play
Difficulty: All Madden

I have hit D Bowe 14 consecutive times so far. I throw it just as Bowe crosses the face of the DB and he catches it right between that DB and the MLB every time. Most times the pass is actually carrying him downfield and he is catching it not only between them, but behind them as well. The MLB is making the tackle from behind.

Quote:
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

Last edited by roll2tide; 03-28-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

Same setup as above but set defense to random play and hit 9/10. The one miss was an INT by the MLB when I tried to throw over him.

[edit]

So I ran this about 30 moretimes and observed the following:

-At the snap i'm reading the TE who's breaking to the flats. This is my man coverage key. If someone runs out after him then I shift my gaze up and wait for the opening.

-If it's zone then I shift my gaze up the sideline to check the CB. Shallow(flats zone) and I must look to the middle. Deep and I rotate my focus to the saftey. Cover 4 and I'm OK(if no one runs to flats then TE is open as safety valve), Cover 3 and I switch the side of the deep safety.

-Cover 3 means I need to determine if anyone is going to the flats or not. No, and the TE is open as safety valve. Yes, and there should be a gaping hole to throw into.

All of that really boils down to this: There is a hole to throw into. Almost irregardless of the defense there is a hole. You have to locate that hole in zone coverage and, most importantly, anticipate the throw. I found that I threw alot of these passes just as the WR covered the DB from my line of sight and he ended up catching the ball in that hole with his arms extended fully out in front of him.

-WR/DB matchups matter in man coverage--while Bowe always beats his man, the other WR(Billingsley) almost never had inside position his man. Some WR's just aren't built to run the slant. Even when he was open, Billingsley dropped several either upon contact, because it skipped off his hands, or--and this is odd to me, because the QB misfired. I think maybe once in 30+ passes did I overthrow Bowe. I overthrew Billingsley alot. Maybe he's just not getting position, maybe there is a QB/WR formula of some kind occuring here.

there are several reads/decisions to make very quickly with this play but but like I said before, it's simply a matter of locating the hole and throwing to that opening, not to the WR. Throw to the WR once he's open and it's way too late.

Quote:
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

Last edited by roll2tide; 03-28-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
Banned

I will load up my game and try this in the next five mins...
Old 03-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Banned

I can not complete three in a row. I got lucky when I hit it twice (it should have been picked).

What are you doing with your QB after the snap up to his release?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I am pretty sure most routes will be as effective as they are in real life. I feel by slowing down the game and the ball speed that the passing game will be just like 2k5. With all the updates we have heard this game is like a 2k5 little brother, but with Madden's graphics. Slants worked in 2k5, but it had to be the right defense like in real life.

If this year is as similar to 2k5 as I believe, well most routes will work the way you would expect it, and we could a lot less INT's. I just hope they make it like 2k5 where pass are broken up by CB's 90% of the time. Picks usually come from double coverage or tipped balls. I hate bringing up 2k so much, but go find a video of their Picks and they look just like a real life Int.

When I said 90% of the time. I meant when the Cb touches it it is 9/10 a tip and 1/10 a Int.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 03-28-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

slants are hard really, wow.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »