Home

Madden class-action suit

This is a discussion on Madden class-action suit within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #33
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Madden class-action suit

The real question is, why are we discussing this again? This Article is Months old...
Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

OVR: 5

Didn't mean to sound harsh, my bad.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 28

As irritated with EA as I have been since the exclusivity deal, from a business standpoint it was a phenomenal move. Of course we saw the quality suffer. Why wouldn't it? The fact that the case is going forward is really because based on sales figures, a case can be made that a football game without the likenesses of NFL players and teams cannot compete in the marketplace. This is true. APF is a far more realistic game than any other madden game on Next Gen, yet it sold close to nothing. Only us hardcore football gamers bought it. Therefore it wasn't worth it to Take 2 to produce another one. If it costs more to make it than you bring in to sell it, there is no reason to produce it. With virtually unlimited access to the NFL, EA has really had the opportunity to shut the door on any competition forever. By now, they could have produced the ultimate football simulation. They have failed to do so. Although I think Madden 10 will be the first good game by EA in 5 years, it took a new team and some people developing it that actually take pride in what they are doing. However, this madden is like a 1.0. THey haven't been able to build on it year after year like Visual Concepts did with the 2k games. Ultimately, us the consumer are the big losers. We have limited choices and we end up with sub par products. 2k5 was (and still is) the benchmark for football games, but let's not forget that Madden games back then were actually really good too. The competition between the 2 companies lead to superior products, more copies sold and a win for the consumer.

I think all exclusive licenses are bad. I love 2k football, but that doesn't mean that EA shouldn't make a game (and obviously vice versa). I would think the NFL could just charge a high fee for the license and grant it to multiple companies. They would probably make even MORE money. It's kind of stupid. The problem now for EA since Madden has become such crap since the license deal, that a lot of dedicated fans (and buying consumers) are now more apt to rent or borrow and not buy. If the license ever does open up again, if someone else gets it (like 2k) and makes a better game, it will be tough for EA to get those consumers back. Not to mention, the economic landscape is changing permanently for America now. Spending 60 bucks on a piece of crap game is a bigger deal now than it was before. The quality better be there. Ian and his team are good guys. As much contempt I had for EA before this year, they have managed to win me back to at least give madden a worthy look this year. The jury is still out though, so only time will tell if they can resurrect the franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLukeisamazing
Didn't mean to sound harsh, my bad.
Sorry for my tone as well. This whole exclusive thing just brings out the worst.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #37
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
Sorry for my tone as well. This whole exclusive thing just brings out the worst.
It probably isn't good for the game industry, but it isn't illegal, on any level, as much as many would love to believe otherwise.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #38
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
yes it certainly does, after all .. buying out the competetion (whether its Microsoft, EA, whoever..) is never a good thing for consumers. we all lose in the end.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #39
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
yes it certainly does, after all .. buying out the competetion (whether its Microsoft, EA, whoever..) is never a good thing for consumers. we all lose in the end.
That's part of dealing with the business system we have here. How can anyone be mad at EA for wanting to make a super deal? They didn't hold a gun to the NFL's head. If an incredible woman wants to date you out of your group of friends are you (and by you I mean it in broad terms not you specifically) going to say no? Sure it takes away our variety, but if people want to be mad at something (and it really is a waste of energy) be mad at the NFL for trying to queeze every last penny (once again it's the way our society is set up).
Old 07-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #40
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy
That's part of dealing with the business system we have here. How can anyone be mad at EA for wanting to make a super deal? They didn't hold a gun to the NFL's head. If an incredible woman wants to date you out of your group of friends are you (and by you I mean it in broad terms not you specifically) going to say no? Sure it takes away our variety, but if people want to be mad at something (and it really is a waste of energy) be mad at the NFL for trying to queeze every last penny (once again it's the way our society is set up).
Everyone wants to blame the NFl.. Yea, you should be mad at them, but they still were not the ones who put out Madden 06, 07, 08.. That was EA , not the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »