Home

Madden 10 Blocking - Worst in next gen history?

This is a discussion on Madden 10 Blocking - Worst in next gen history? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #97
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Madden 10 Blocking - Worst in next gen history?

I played a couple of games last night and the blocking of the OL is so bad I was shocked when I saw it.... The center seems to not know the DT is there and runs to block a LB! WTF The AI does so crazy things in this game.... I would be okay if it was minor, but sometimes the OL doesn't even know the DL is there!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #98
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
The blocking is fine ; honestly I think there are a lot of people who are making things up just because. Maybe they're still mad that 2k is gone, who knows.

The blocking is fine, learn how to set up and follow your blocks. There have been a lot of complaints that I see on this board; however, I've been playing this game none stop since friday and haven't seen any of them.
So you see the videos and then say people are making it up.... Something is wrong here.....Learn to follow you blocks? The Damn OL runs down field and blocks a LB....leaving the DT to gobble your RB up. This amazes me.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #99
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

The thing is you get some idiots who watch one Youtube video with a couple of missed blocks in it and take that as what happens on every play.

I'm playing a game at the moment (Broncos (me) v Bengals), and I've had two instances on the same DRIVE which tell me that for the most part the blocking is fine.

One was where the OLBs came on a blitz, and the tackles intercepted them perfectly and blocked them round the back of the quarterback.

The second was defending a four man rush and the blocking was perfect, and it allowed me to actually step up into the pocket and throw a 30 yard completion.

YES, there are faults. But it's these people who insist that the blocking is 'broken' who make everyone else start to think it doesn't do the job properly.

Go and enjoy the game instead of complaining all the time. It's not perfect but NO GAME IS.

In fact it's probably the best football game ever. It's definitely the best Madden I've played, and the most realistic. I hated 09 as well so do not accuse me of being, what do you call it, an EA fanboy.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #100
Banned

OVR: 12

The blocking isn't fine at all please stop. Saying the blocking is fine in Madden 10 is just not true. You have no idea what you're talking about. That's all I can say to you. Get a clue man. Seriously. I know you won't and you'll still post your nonsense about "the blocking is fine" but it still needs to be said.

The blocking is not fine. It needs to be completely redone to be honest. It's playable and running the ball is not a problem necessarily but the blocking is almost all wrong from a realism stand point. When the blocking breaks down its almost always because of something ridiculously silly that you'd never see happen in a game. There's tons of video proof all over the place. If you choose to ignore it then that's on you. Don't try and pass off your nonsense to other people though.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #101
Rookie

I have played almost a full season with the Raiders. I think the issue here is that EA did a poor job of modeling the missed blocks. I think with a few animations in place that made the blocker look like he was attempting to block the defender people wouldn't be complaining as much. Occasionally I do see the offensive line misses. But the ones that really frustrate me are when I throw a short pass underneath, get outside and I have a WR (Usually Bay) one on one with the FS or SS. Now I don’t expect him to level the guy (Bey’s block ratings suck) but I do expect him in some way to impede or slow him down. When they run away, spin in circles, etc its just broken. Defend it if you want but we all know down field if its me and you I know who I should block. How well I block is a whole other conversation.

For those people that say there isn't a problem the OP posted some pretty clear videos that shows that there are some break downs with the current blocking code on all difficulty levels.

From what I have seen and from what some others have posted you can have more success by not slamming on turbo the moment you get the ball. This won't solve all of the issues but it helps. It allows your blockers the time to engage their defenders. Sometimes letting the play develop helps a lot.

I also think one of the biggest issues that has been plaguing Madden and 2k when it was around is the on the fly feature. I see so many so called sim ballers come up to the line of scrimmage and completely re write their defensive (Offensive) play its ridiculous. If it isn’t in the play book should you be running it? 99% of the time they are doing things that the AI can’t account for. Line shifts, + human controlled player, + ESP playcalling at the line of scrimmage is just ********. Is that sim? I know that NFL teams come out and make adjustments. But they don’t come out and totally redesign the current play on the fly.

IMHO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #102
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Mods, is there any way to sticky this? At some point, it would be beneficial to get official input from the devs.

Discussing ideas and blocking logic would benefit the game. It was great to see all of the interaction earlier this year. I think this topic, more than any other, deserves attention.

I think it's quite obvious how run blocking is broken this year. Playing online on All Madden = problem can only be fixed by the devs.

As much as Ian has been playing the game on his vaca, I truly believe he sees the issues. Whether he chooses to respond, or attempts to address the issue this year will remain to be seen.

I just hope that all of you who agreed with the OP, also post this complaint in the Patch #2 thread. Most of the post in that thread are for improved stats and other nonsense.

You gameplay purist need to SPEAK UP!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #103
MVP

OVR: 12

Im gonna keep madden this year and enjoy it for what it is. i like what Ian has, and is doing. ive lowered my expectaions though. i use to enjoy tweaking the slidders to make it hard for me to run, then check out replays to see where im not following or over runing my blocks. or see how the hole developed. or see how a blitz got. then hot route blockers to help pick it up next time theres a similar situation. but if i do that now it ruins the game for me because you really see the poor A.I.
those days are gone so for me its either stop gaming or just accept where we are and hope it continues to improve.

Last edited by TeeDogg; 08-19-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #104
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
The blocking is fine ; honestly I think there are a lot of people who are making things up just because. Maybe they're still mad that 2k is gone, who knows.

The blocking is fine, learn how to set up and follow your blocks. There have been a lot of complaints that I see on this board; however, I've been playing this game none stop since friday and haven't seen any of them.
Ok now that is just insulting. Most people here I assume are grown men and have probably played videogame football for more than a decade. Not to mention have probably watched the sport most of their lives. So to say stuff like I suck at the game because I dont know how to let blocks develop is asinine.

I'm just starting to give most opposers the benefit of the doubt and assume that we may just play the game differently. Maybe you just stick to ISO's or inside runs, whereas I like running counters, stretches or sweeps. Which is where I see the majority if not all of the problems with the run game.

Or maybe we are just looking for something different in a simulation video game. I cant enjoy a game that I feel I dont have full control over. I cant enjoy competition when I know my opponent can stay in dime or quarters defense but still stop the run. Stuff like that is just not fun for me and will cause me to stay on the sidelines and not purchase a simulation football game for a while.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »