Home

The Unexplained Mysteries of Madden 10

This is a discussion on The Unexplained Mysteries of Madden 10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #17
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: The Unexplained Mysteries of Madden 10

Nice thread. I hope we can get some answers to some of those questions, especially the sliders.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #18
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjccommish
Sliders are nothing but a shadow cast over the working of the game. How do you get Madden to play most realistically? How do you get a realistic running game, with realistic tackle breaking, etc? I don't know. But having sliders means whatever I do in the game, I know I can change it or may have caused it with sliders.

When I gain 100 yds rushing in a game, was it me or was it the sliders?

If Madden played like the real NFL would it need sliders?
Yes. Yes it would. Because people have different levels of skill and it's a video game.

Getting Madden to play like the real NFL is a lot harder than some people understand. Any given week, you may get a 3-0 game, or a 48-41 game. A QB might put up 300 yards and 4TDs...or he might barely make 150 with 3INTs. It's just as "realistic" to run for 35 yards on 18 carries as it is to run for 290 on 30.

Yes, they need to fix things like players running through each other and poor out-of-bounds recognition and maybe certain animations do happen a little bit too often... but every game is not going to be a nice happy list of average stats.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 7

Has EA responded to this yet? What does CPu Skill do, I know player skill is the human but is CPu skill both? Or is it just human or just CPU?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 4

The FAQ came and went, but I don't believe EA even answered alot of what was asked.

Last edited by roots3003; 10-07-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Pro

Bruin26's Arena

OVR: 9

to me this is a big flaw with many companies now these days. Many games have features or with sports games sliders that are never mentioned in the manuals. In fact manuals for the most part are sad indeed especially with sports games. They need to be more detailed and with sliders unless they really change the function of the sliders or remove or add any once they include them in a manual then they should be easy to add to newer games. I laughed when I opened this years EA sports games, which for me was NCAA football, Madden and NHL 10. Really enjoy the games to be honest, but the manuals are a joke and I am not that interested in them for the most part but with all the questions we see here it is something they need to work on.

Great thread by the way...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
Why are there so many features and settings left unexplained? A quick search on the OS forums and you will literally find dozens of threads asking how some aspect of the game really works. It can be pretty confusing for no good reason.

I don't know. I think a LOT of developers are tight-lipped about how their games actually work. I know on the OOTP boards, there's often people who have to spend hours of their own time testing the exact impacts of certain ratings or settings and such.

That game also has rating that don't serve any real purpose or have such tiny or specific impacts that, of course, are never mentioned.

Maybe they feel like it enhances the gameplay of the game. Much like an RPG might put in long side quests that are just tedious or confusing so they can add "hours" to the game for the back of the box.

Or maybe the developers don't understand why we "common" players even need to know. Or they have the "wanna find out? Figure it out yourself" mentality.

Or it's some cheap way to "add challenge" to game. Too many sports games are too focused on "making it harder" for the human instead of playing the sport realistically.

Or maybe EA has sworn them to secrecy. NDAs and other such crap. You know, lawyers and legalese pervade everything these days.

I'm guessing some combination of those factors. That and it doesn't add any "money" to the game, but consumes time. Probably same reason game manuals suck. But you can always buy the strategy guide for ALL the real info you really want.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 21

Ban me if you wish.

Every once in a while a post like this comes up from months back. You start to read the responses, particularly the hope filled and overly enthusiastic thank you's that came in addition to the M10 purchase.

I don't care how much positive you see in this game, honesty and bias are two separate things. Honesty says we got lied to, bias says we can deal with it because its common place.

I must say this whole situation has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth about EA and particularly Ian and the Dev. team. I seriously don't grasp how you treat customers like this.

You came here looking for input and you got tons, some critical and some not, but all rooted in being helpful. You renewed faith in your product by inadvertently hyping and selling it during the development phase.

Now, when pressing issues come up, when you get called out on promises unkept, you turn you back and leave. Before that you seemingly placed your hands on your hips and acted as if you had no clue what we were talking about (pursuit angles).

To any outsider is painfully clear the screw job that took place. Most of us are left looking like a group of clowns because its obvious we cared about a product more than the people making money off it.

I got given the game for free and I still feel ripped off, I cant imagine what the people who paid for it feel.

Its not about playing the game around the issues it has. Its about asking why they weren't or cant be fixed.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
Ban me if you wish.

Every once in a while a post like this comes up from months back. You start to read the responses, particularly the hope filled and overly enthusiastic thank you's that came in addition to the M10 purchase.

I don't care how much positive you see in this game, honesty and bias are two separate things. Honesty says we got lied to, bias says we can deal with it because its common place.

I must say this whole situation has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth about EA and particularly Ian and the Dev. team. I seriously don't grasp how you treat customers like this.

You came here looking for input and you got tons, some critical and some not, but all rooted in being helpful. You renewed faith in your product by inadvertently hyping and selling it during the development phase.

Now, when pressing issues come up, when you get called out on promises unkept, you turn you back and leave. Before that you seemingly placed your hands on your hips and acted as if you had no clue what we were talking about (pursuit angles).

To any outsider is painfully clear the screw job that took place. Most of us are left looking like a group of clowns because its obvious we cared about a product more than the people making money off it.

I got given the game for free and I still feel ripped off, I cant imagine what the people who paid for it feel.

Its not about playing the game around the issues it has. Its about asking why they weren't or cant be fixed.
First of all, Secondly, you shouldn't get banned for a post like that. I agree with everything that you had said. It's just so apparent what has happened, especially with the blogs. I was sooooo psyched to get this game and it was probably the biggest let down I have experienced in terms of video games.

The devs need to think about it this way. It's like they are a coaching staff that has been hired to revive a once storied program that has gone down hill the past 5 years. You guys are under the magnifying glass cause you're the only game in town! You have to stand up to your work, answer the tough questions! All great and successful people have to deal with this. But the Madden devs do not! They need to answer and defend things like the post about how ratings don't matter, and how people sub in their kickers and punters for lineman, DB/WR interaction, run blocking, etc.. Tells us what the sliders exactly do, what ratings mean, but nothing!

The only reason why I hang around this board is because I'm just hoping that a dev will come on here and stand up and defend their work and answer questions!

One more thing, you know it wouldn't be that big of a deal if Madden wasn't the only game on the block. But think about all the FPS out there and then think about how if there was ONLY one FPS that could be made.

Last edited by huskerwr38; 10-07-2009 at 11:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »