Home

An idea about removing overalls in the future

This is a discussion on An idea about removing overalls in the future within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Rookie

jimmyy201's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: An idea about removing overalls in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus82
If u want to make roster moves based on a specific ability ranking then just pay attention to that. Ability. You haven't made an argument to remove the overall ranking. You've only argued why it can be ignored in cerain situations.
The overall ranking is useful to a degree if I have 2 CBs one a 89 and the other a 66 its obvious who should start. Without having to look at all the individual skill rankings. Why would u want to remove that ability?
I remember I used to sub in a fast CB to return kicks. His ranking would be like 33 as KR but that was because he had bad carry stats and BTK stats. At the same time having 90+ I speed, agility, and ACC. His punting ability was not a part of that calculation. Nor does peyton mannings low punting ability affect his 99 overall ranking

no my arguement for getting rid of the Overall is because some players ratings get boosted just to make there overall higher.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree with your points but I don't really think it needs to be removed, just modified. Like other people have said, the only thing the overall rating actually determines is how much money they make in a franchise and where they are on the CPUs depth chart.

My proposal is to make the ratings more like they were in head coach. Make them system based, and add in a rating for production. I suggest making the production modifier even more weighted than in HC though, because realistically what changes players ratings in madden update to update and year to year? What casuses teams to pay players more money or put them higher on the depth chart? Production.

And the previous post about removing other ratings I completely disagree with. In my opinion the more ratings the better because it makes the players different from one another. I've also often thought about the idea of having the players actual rating hidden from the player, and depending on how good your scout is he gives you letter grade ratings for pertinent things.

For Example:

Current system: John Smith - QB - SPD-67, STR-65, AGI-67, ACC-62, AWR-71, THP-94, THA-78, etc etc.

My Proposal, keep the ratings the same but hide them from the player, and you get: John Smith - QB - Athletism-C+, Arm-B, Intangibles-C

Obviously it would be more in depth, but I think it would make getting new players a lot more interesting to have to actually analyze everyone.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

If Madden did away with overall rathings I probably wouldnt buy the games anymore. I dont see the problem with overall ratings at all. there has to be some "overall" rating for each player. A number a letter, there has to be something. We could possibly imrpove player overalls to be more specific to the position or somethinf of that nature but it would be a bad move to do away with them completely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 26

What I find is funny about this thread is the fact that the entire game and everyone else outside of the hardcore community revolves around the overall rating.

Everything from contracts to player progression, is built on overall. To remove the overall rating, they would have to develop a CPU engine that can look at every single player rating and then decide how much money to give to different players based upon those separate ratings.

The current progression system works on increasing a players overall by adding a preset number of stats for the overall increase. I currently hate this system but that is another topic.

To get rid of the overall would basically kill about 3 months if not more development time just to try and fix all the new problems that would develop. On the other hand, overall currently means nothing and that needs to be fixed.

Head Coach 09 was on the right path in this manner. You could select what type of player you wanted and their overall rating would be adjusted to reflect that value. If you wanted a cover 2 CB then guys with high zone would have high overalls. If you had a CB with 99 man coverage and 60 zone coverage that CB would be rated an overall 60-70 something player under the cover 2 scheme.(this applies for every single position) The different types HC 09 had for say RB was Moves, Power, workhorse, balanced, receiving. Each coach and GM in the game had different values therefore even if a player was an overall 70 to you he would still be getting paid a huge contract because another coach valued him for a different scheme.

This doesnt even take into account of how HC 09 also used a players production in their overall. Therefore if a overall 70 something player was put into a system that allowed him to produce good numbers his overall would increase and when he wanted a new contract...He would be getting a huge contract even though his ratings do not deserve big money. This simulated how real life works with free agent busts.

So for anyone who is not willing to read all of that...Overall rating does not need to stop existing because it would cause devs to take 10 steps back just to get rid of it. Instead overall needs to evolve into a similar system of HC09.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

I just think their needs to be a option to turn it off. I want to be able to pick players because how i have seem them work on the field. I can't close my eyes everytime i go to the player management screen, to avoid their ratings can i?

Look at it this way. Chris Johnson is a boss. top 5 back in the NFL if not more,and thats another argument. He's rated a 90 now, with about 10 backs in front of him, {last time i checked}, But he is already maxed out on speed and agility and accelleration, and really high agility, and pretty high awareness. Since they want his overall to reflect his ability, they would have to boost something like strength or trucking or stiff arming to reach this accurate overall. But this simply isn't true! Why not get rid of the ratings, so that people can still consider him a top back, without having to be upset with this "Overall" rating? Almost all ratings are subjective anyway, thats why you always have discussions on whether barry sanders or walter payton or whoever was better. Madden would just say, well Walter is a 99 and had more trucking and Barry was 98 so Walter was better. It's all subjective.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Sounds like you are in the minority on this one. Honestly quit putting so much stock in overall ratings. As you yourself said, CJ may be a better back at 90 OVR than someone else who is 92 OVR but it really depends on using him to his strengths. It's subjective but OVR ratings are helpful in many ways and should not be removed IMO.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 36

I personally would like to have an option to replace them with grades since IRL owners don't get overall numbers. This would be an option tho.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Rookie

jimmyy201's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Sounds like you are in the minority on this one. Honestly quit putting so much stock in overall ratings. As you yourself said, CJ may be a better back at 90 OVR than someone else who is 92 OVR but it really depends on using him to his strengths. It's subjective but OVR ratings are helpful in many ways and should not be removed IMO.
the main reason i think it would be better is for the front 7 on defense. the DEs and OLBs are overrated in there attributes just so their overalls look better theres no reason a DE in a 34 should be a higher overall at DT in a 43 defense. getting rid of overalls would fix that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »