Home

How many of you have actually played football?

This is a discussion on How many of you have actually played football? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: How many of you have actually played football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Hell yeah I've played...we can count recess and in the street right?!?

LOL, I haven't played a snap of organized ball. Almost hesitate in saying that because it leaves the door open for others to think they know more than you , but I digress.

I've always liked football, but I was non-athletic for the most part growing up and I didn't come from a family that excelled in sports. It wasn't until a few years ago that I really took it upon myself to try and understand the intricacies of the sport. Having disected the game a bit and made sense of it, I became more of a hardcore fan.
Same here pretty much, my high school (I'm in England) had a team, but I was really undersized then (I weighed <140 when I left HS) I was on the practice squad for the soccer team though lol (doesn't say much, since we had 3 teams, which made me like 4th string). I've played a bit in 5-on-5 tackle pickup games with friends, as a QB and Safety. I've not had much chance to play recently cause most of the guys we used to play with have jobs and kids and stuff, hope to get some people together at some point when the weather is a bit better though.

Football wise my legs aren't in the best condition (Broke my right foot aged 16, broke my left ankle aged 18, injured my left knee playing QB in one of the aforementioned games) and I was never fast, so I now run like a slow Dan Marino lol. This makes me nearly useless as a Safety, and my arm strength isn't great either (I hurt my shoulder backyard wrestling when I was about 15, but I never had a good arm*) which doesn't help my QB ability.

Football strategy interests me a lot and I suppose I wouldn't mind coaching one day.

*I did come second to the QB of the football in Javelin my junior year at HS, but it was out of 6 entries, and my best throw was like 21m, his was 24 (feel free to lol at my school's lack of athletic ability, the record was 36m).
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 12

4 yrs Div 1A NCAA Football here (WR/DB) Mid-American Conference ; 3 yr letter winner & Starter;
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #51
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy88
You guys that played in high school what was your teams base offense?
Wing slot... QB under center, FB 5 yards behind him, to the weak side we had a slot and a split end, to the strong side we had a tight end and a wingback. Think your standard 3 WR set with the flanker tight.

Honestly, our wingback was a second TE and our slotback was the RB. He went in motion on every play... every play... full speed, across the formation, and the ball would generally be snapped as he was passing the tackle. Most of our pass plays were play passes, with an intial fake to the 32 dive, then a second fake to the 28 sweep. The RB would leak to the flat a lot, while we'd have a combination route by the TE and WB over the middle. The Split End would be isolated, we ran a lot of flies with him as he'd be left on an island and he was usually our best athlete.

The running game consisted of a 32 FB dive, the 28 Quick Sweep, and the 17 bootleg... all run off the same action. Very much a misdirection based offense. We had a few others... a 33 trap, and motioning the RB into the backfield and running a traditional triple option and power option.

Our power was interesting... it was a 34 power, and the slot would actually lead into the hole.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 4

Currently playing in the Irish American Football League. Used to play CB years ago then stopped. Started back couple of years ago, bit bigger now lol, so do O-line now.
Played G and T, in pre season training now, and this will be my 1st year playing Center.....hit the big 40 next month so see what I've got left in the tank lol.
Pretty decent standard in the league, not near you Americans though.
We pay our monthly fees to play and its great. We batter hell outta each other for 3 4 hours, then all head to the pub. Good times, wish I had started back sooner. Reached the semi's last season, so hopefully go 1 better this year.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 4

In New Zealand we have a competition every year just like the nfl but nowhere near the same lol. All games played on saturdays. We only have like 8 teams in our comp though. Our defense would change every play from a 4-3 to a 4-4 (4 lineman, 4 linebackers, 2 corners, 1 safety) so i would play MLB/SS. Awesome time. Great game. Love the physical side of it.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBoy88
You guys that played in high school what was your teams base offense?
We play 12 man here in Canada, so our base offence was what we call a Balanced I... It's like regular I Formation but with an extra TE. We also employed the Flex Option using an H Back on either side (I think someone else has called it Wing-T as well).

Once in college, the offences got a lot more interesting, but we ended up having two OCs during the three years, so we played a bunch of stuff. The first year was a full out Veer team what also played a bit of Triple Option. Then for the last two we went into a more traditional offence with a single back look almost all of the time. We won more with the later, but the former was a lot more fun to play in...

Now in coaching, I still try and teach a balance of what I plaed in the past... I'm partial to the option stuff...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #55
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

4 year letter winner for a small school, two way starter at OLB and TE in 11th and 12th grade, captain my senior year but had an absolutely horrible year do to injuries + ****ty new coaches who didn't "believe" in silly things like defensive reads.

Fortunately, i go to a sweet university that offers a full pad interhall football league, so I've been my dorm's starting TE for the past 3 years. We always seem to lose in the first round of the playoffs though...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #56
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballymenasteve
Currently playing in the Irish American Football League. Used to play CB years ago then stopped. Started back couple of years ago, bit bigger now lol, so do O-line now.
Played G and T, in pre season training now, and this will be my 1st year playing Center.....hit the big 40 next month so see what I've got left in the tank lol.
Pretty decent standard in the league, not near you Americans though.
We pay our monthly fees to play and its great. We batter hell outta each other for 3 4 hours, then all head to the pub. Good times, wish I had started back sooner. Reached the semi's last season, so hopefully go 1 better this year.

Pretty sure my brother reffed a few summers back when he was staying in Dublin.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »