Home

Animations done right? EA devs take notes.

This is a discussion on Animations done right? EA devs take notes. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Animations done right? EA devs take notes.

They would never design Madden on the PS3 because the 360 version wouldn't be able to handle it apparently.

I've heard a number of excuses/reasons but who knows the truth. I read somewhere that EA's devs don't know how to program on the PS3 but that seems like a ridiculous statement, I'm sure they're smart enough or they wouldn't have the job.

I'm pretty sure it comes down to $££$££$£$. As a dev, I bet they'd like to create the game for PS3 and make the best game they can like the show but there's no chance the money men at EA would allow them to do that cos the 360 game would regress. An option would be to have to dev teams, on3 for 360, one for PS3 but once again, money talks- wouldn't happen.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
This is why i game on 3 systems. Each has its select strengths that are great.

PS3 - Has the Show
360 - Has its great controller & LIVE
PC - Great control for FPS and Great Flight Sims
Exactly Phobia, but I'll make it 4 with a few changes.

• PS3 - BluRay, Great Exclusives (God of War, Metal Gear Solid, The Show, Little Big Planet, etc)
  • 360 - Best Controller (for my big hands), Best Online (at a cost)
  • Wii - Amazing Controls, Nintendo Hits (Mario, Metroid, Zelda)
  • PC - FPS, RTS, & RPGs (Great graphics/framerates, Control for multitasking, and fan add-on mods)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 24

What's up with the link? I click on it, and get a blank page with the "error on page" message?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Comparing The Show to Madden is like comparing Filet Mignon to Buffalo Chips

I wish games were developed on the ps3 instead of 360

The Show is what other sports games should strive to be

Hate to break it to ya bro, but the hardware is the least determining factor in making Madden as good in quality as the show. I own both consoles, love them both. They are both very capable hardware wise.

You don't think Sony San Diego given the chance could do an awesome job of putting MLB The Show on 360?

It's the developer skill. Point blank. Tiburon has had the Madden franchise for so many years they are simply stale. Either they aren't as talented as Sony San Diego, or even EA Canada (NHL), or corporate EA just doesn't invest the money they should to make Madden the game it should be.

Why should they though? Madden sells millions and millions of copies each and every year on its name alone, and now that there is no NFL competition, well you see whats happened.

Until Madden starts to lose significant sales, we are going to keep getting the same old version we have been playing for YEARS with minor tuning and tweaking, plus and minus features. Thats it.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
They would never design Madden on the PS3 because the 360 version wouldn't be able to handle it apparently.

I've heard a number of excuses/reasons but who knows the truth. I read somewhere that EA's devs don't know how to program on the PS3 but that seems like a ridiculous statement, I'm sure they're smart enough or they wouldn't have the job.

I'm pretty sure it comes down to $££$££$£$. As a dev, I bet they'd like to create the game for PS3 and make the best game they can like the show but there's no chance the money men at EA would allow them to do that cos the 360 game would regress. An option would be to have to dev teams, on3 for 360, one for PS3 but once again, money talks- wouldn't happen.

Can we stop the fanboy banter? What makes you think that after 4-5 years of these consoles life cycles, if the PS3 hasn't "blown away" the 360 on any level, that it could be done?

Both consoles have their strengths. Blu-ray alone doesnt make games better. Its the hardware that pushes them. It's a fact that 360's unified 512 RAM architecture is better than PS3's split, 256 for the Cell, 256 for the RSX.

360 also has a more powerful graphics chip. The custom ATI chip in 360 is simply better than the Nvidia RSX in the PS3.

As far as the Cell vs. Xenon CPU's. The Cell is a SINGLE core CPU with 8 SPE's. The 350's CPU is THREE CORES with 2 threads each. English: The Cell is better at certain things, the 360's Xenon is better at others.

At the end of the day both consoles are more than powerful enough for some really great games. It's developer skill and passion more than anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Exactly Phobia, but I'll make it 4 with a few changes.

• PS3 - BluRay, Great Exclusives (God of War, Metal Gear Solid, The Show, Little Big Planet, etc)
  • 360 - Best Controller (for my big hands), Best Online (at a cost)
  • Wii - Amazing Controls, Nintendo Hits (Mario, Metroid, Zelda)
  • PC - FPS, RTS, & RPGs (Great graphics/framerates, Control for multitasking, and fan add-on mods)
Great post Val, you went a little deeper with it and I agree with all of it.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Nice video, I think Sony does a great job on its exclusives.

Heres a lil techy info on the PS3 v.s. 360

http://www.thelostgamer.com/2009/12/...ces-explained/
It seems that with each release of every major multiplatform title, the internet is immediately hit by floods of “X is better than Y version,” and console comparison videos. Yet is there any known reason as to why such differences occur and is it either an inevitability or something that can easily be avoided? Let’s take a look…

The PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 use different GPU’s from different manufacturers, and while it’s clear to the user that the PS3 model has a stronger processor, what remains unclear is which has a better GPU. In such case, the PS3 uses a GPU made by Nvidia called the RSX, whereas the 360 uses a GPU made by ATI called Xenos.

The Xenos is clocked at 500Mhz with a unified shader core and 48 unified pipelines and likewise the RSX also clocks at the same speed, but the difference is that the RSX has a dedicated shader core and only 24 pixel pipelines and 8 vertex pipelines. What difference do pipelines and shaders make I hear you ask? Well, simple shaders take 3D objects constructed of polygons and change it into what you see on the screen through the use of two types of shaders – vertex shaders and pixel shaders. The pixel shader is a type of shader program that computes colours, shadows, bump mapping, lighting etc, and the vertex shader is left with looking after pixels and adds special effects to objects in a 3D environment.

Shader pipelines are simply the roads in which the data travels – the more the pipelines the better. Now the Xbox 360’s GPU has 48 unified shaders that can be used for both pixel shaders and vertex shaders, whilst the PS3 makes use of 24 pixel pipelines and 8 vertex pipelines. This means that the PS3 can’t get more then 24 pixel pipelines at any given time, whereas the 360 GPU can have 48 pipelines open to developers to be used for pixel and vertex pipelines therefore explaining why most multiplatform titles have a better frame rate on 360 than their PS3 counterpart.

Now here’s the tricky bit, the Cell can be used to handle vertex calculations, which means it can decrease the work needed to be done on the GPU, which explains why some of the multiplatform games have framerate issues on the PS3. Developers don’t take the time and effort to change the coding from working on those 8 vertex shaders to the CPU which is done with Uncharted 2, even during the early PS3 lifecycle the SPU’s weren’t used.

The Xenos chip is divided into 2 GPUs; the main Die and the daughter Die, which has 10mb of eDRAM. The eDRAM in the Xenos chip have self processing memory control which makes it possible for the Xenos chip to use anti-aliasing (AA) and alpha-blending without affecting the frame rate. Aliasing is needed when low resolutions occur, so the lower the resolution the more AA you will need. Even some of the 720p games need some good AA, and most of the current games on the market have sub-HD resolution like Halo ODST running on 640p and Modern Warfare 2 running on 600p resolution and up-scaled to 720p. So these games will need AA to make the graphics look smooth and so the majority of multiplatform games on Xbox 360 look cleaner and sharper then their PS3 counterpart. If PS3 games were running on native 1080p, AA wouldn’t be needed but in that case you’ll need high textures to match and each console isn’t capable of having both, but then again the Cell can be used to do AA calculations.

Both GPU’s have an equal amount of memory, and half of the PS3 memory is XDR which gives it much faster access to the CPU which gives the PS3 an upper hand in some cases but that makes it harder to deal with two different sets of memories and that effects things like textures, but the 360 will need to decompress textures to be able to run the game smoothly because of the limitations the DVD creates and the none mandatory hard drive.
The PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 have both great games that look amazing, but each has strengths that can be used to push each system.

The PS3 has a faster CPU which helps the GPU, and the Cell is one of the rare cases which a processor can be used for graphical calculations, because it is strong enough to handle that along with physics, sound stream etc. Whereas the 360 has a better GPU with standard AA. So, despite differences at least we can now identify some reason behind the varied graphical output seen within multiplatform games.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by dfos81; 02-11-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

That video was insane!! Even how the guy gets a homerun and looks back while walking to the dugout...in Madden type animations, he would run straight like a robot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »