Home

What will/should be done with the Madden Drafts?

This is a discussion on What will/should be done with the Madden Drafts? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12
What will/should be done with the Madden Drafts?

I, like many purely off line franchise players love the Madden Generated Draft Players. They make franchise mode much deeper and enjoyable. Who hasn't smiled when you draft that late round gem like
Spoiler
or happily grimaced and reluctantly admitted realism is cool when you got stuck with
Spoiler

What I was wondering is, since we all know the top players now, they surely won't use these same classes. What do you think the solution will/should be?

Here's some ideas:
  • Reuse all the players but mix up the drafts. For example, Bellows won't be in the English draft he might show up in the Rocker draft.
  • Use the same players but give them new names/faces. It might be cool to find out Flash Gordon is now a slow possession WR and Michael Bolt is a pocket QB...while Chad Gunn is a speedy scrambler.
  • All new classes. This is the most likely scenario.
  • All new classes with the old classes available as a download if you want them.
  • All new classes with top players from the old classes mixed in. Maybe with new ratings?
I am not sure what would be best. I think all new classes with the option to download the classes as you would be a good option. I assume they just put out all new classes and that's all however.

Anyone know what they're hinting at doing? Any other ideas to what you HOPE they do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: What will/should be done with the Madden Drafts?

Fix the ncaa draft classes?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
Fix the ncaa draft classes?
This.

They need to work together to have accurate NFL draft imports. Certain positions should be good in the 4th round like centers and te's and I should never see FB's projected in the top 3 rounds.

They also need to fix the physical attribute importation. A Qb's arm strength or a RB/WR speed shouldn't drop when they are imported into the NFL.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

I personally loved the Madden generated draft classes...you had busts, you had gems, you had role players, and you had your franchise players in the 1st rounds...it was as close to a real draft experience as I've seen in Madden...

With that said, it was a mistake to not randomize some aspects of the generated players with every franchise. What EA should do this time is make new draft classes (perhaps keeping some of the old favorites) and randomize AT LEAST the name and college, if not all of their physical attributes (height, weight, age). This keeps all the players mysterious for EVERY franchise someone might start....

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

Have a huge player pool and just make it random when and where players appear.

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Well I'm sure they will make new names up and all to make it more interesting. But I'm sure they will do everythhign they can to make it fun for us this coming year.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

A lot of the names have remained the same with the same basic skill sets through 3 games so far, HC, HC09, and madden 10. Hopefully they won't use as many of the same as they did in madden 10 and hopefully some of it is random and they continue to build on what can be done with these classes adding draft presentation and commentary leading up to, during, and maybe even in games after the draft. Also, hopefully they do a better job of balancing, hiding, and randomizing talent throughout the classes. If they can do that and do it well I think pre-made classes could be great but that is a lot of work to put into commentary each year.

That said, if you for instance had seperate potentials for each rating and maybe randomize initialize initial ratings within a 10 points range, just set them initially for each player and then have it randomly choose a number between -5 and 5 and adjust each one, and then set the potential for each rating randomly within a set range then you could really add some variety to these classes. For instance then you could take a guy like james and sometimes he may come in with 99 speed, acceleration, and agility with the ability to hit those levels on his elusiveness and moves and the ability to become a great back but sometimes he may end up coming in with only 90ish speed, acceleration, and agility with much less in the skill areas and end up just being a decent scat back and 3rd down back.

Also, since everything is preset you could have different preset ranges for each player. For instance a guy like boar jackson or devin mayo from HC09 who has great skills but a really low injury ratings could sometimes come in really low with like 30 injury but sometimes come in with like 70 or 80 and sometimes come in low with the ability to improve. This could really lead to the ability to insert the need for scouting and could add a lot of replayability to the game. Imagine coming up on the draft with rob lane and whoever is the peyton clone from that draft and thinking to yourself "no reason to scout these 2, one is being compared to peyton and one is a big armed QB from washington who resembles ryan leaf, I will go with the peyton clone" and then that time the randomness goes against you and a division rival picks up lane who torches you for the next 15 seasons. Or imagine actually scouting some guy who is thought to be a bust and finding out you can get solid value from him this time. It would add some much needed unpredictability while still being able to leave the names there and easlity incorporate the draft commentary from the HC series.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

There are a lot of good ideas here. My one warning is that EA can't let too much randomness back in. Replay value is important, but it's also really important that we never see 95 SPD 80 ACC again.

I also like that players have names that suit their positions- some of the QBs have "golden boy" names, while the O-linemen have tough sounding names. Randomness shouldn't kill that, if possible, though I'd still chose replay value over poetry. Speaking of names and such, I'd like to see some non-white, non-black portraits for the draft classes. Some of the players have Samoan or Hispanic names, but they don't look the part at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »