Home

Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations?

This is a discussion on Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #25
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
not everyone plays against a human...

Is it so taboo to have a smart AI????
This. I want to play the CPU and have the game play realistically. That's all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: Did EA scout the defenses tendencies for what they like to do in down situations?

I actually think this gameplanning thing will help defensive tendencies. We can put the correct defensive plays for each team in the right situations. What I mean is, that we may be able to put 15 defensive plays we want a certain team to run, when a team goes in a certain formation. I hope for defense it is based by formations, and not all game situations.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
I actually think this gameplanning thing will help defensive tendencies. We can put the correct defensive plays for each team in the right situations. What I mean is, that we may be able to put 15 defensive plays we want a certain team to run, when a team goes in a certain formation. I hope for defense it is based by formations, and not all game situations.
It seems that defensive gameplans are based off personnel groupings: 2 WR, 3 WR, 4 WR, etc.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Yes, they spread the field in a no back set, but they never have 5 WRs on the field. Last year, for instance, it was usually Moss, Welker, Aiken/Edelman, then Watson and Faulk would be the other guys split wide. Sometimes they had 4 WR on the field and Faulk.

As for the Packers, same thing. They usually only had 4 WRs active every week: Jennings, Driver, Jones, and Nelson. They split Finley and Lee wide a lot, but again, never 5 actual WR.
They split Watson/Faulk out wide quite a bit...But i see them live from the 40 yrd line 4th row 8 times per year and they do have 5 WR on the field. Not disputing you, but they do it....But no team truly throws out 5 wide frequently outside of college.

SO we are both right i guess.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #29
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
They split Watson/Faulk out wide quite a bit...But i see them live from the 40 yrd line 4th row 8 times per year and they do have 5 WR on the field. Not disputing you, but they do it....But no team truly throws out 5 wide frequently outside of college.

SO we are both right i guess.

Hate to argue with a season ticket holder but I just don't see it. They didn't even have 5 WR active for most games, and when they did, it was the few games Stanback played. And Slater is just a return guy.

Oh well.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #30
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
It seems that defensive gameplans are based off personnel groupings: 2 WR, 3 WR, 4 WR, etc.
That is useless IMO. A team can come out in 3 or 4 WR and either run or pass. Depending on what the other team's tendencies are that would change my play call drastically. For example if a team comes out with 4 WR and I know they have a tendency to pass, I would be more inclined to call some kind of pass defense out of the dime or nickle formation, but if the team has a tendency to run out of 4 WR, I would be more inclined to pick something that would stop the run out of the nickle or some type of zone defense with my base defense (4-3 or 3-4). Unfortunately though, this doesn't take into consideration the other teams tendencies. So if I set my gameplan up how I just said I would call my plays, gameflow may pick the base defense zone against a team with 4 WR that has a tenency to pass or pick the Dime pass defense against a team that has a tendecny to run. In other words, it'll be a crap shoot as to whether the right play gets called.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #31
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleIt5
This isn't true. There is a video interview, on OS, with Ian talking about Gameflow and Gameplan. He talks about how you could set it up so your coordinator picks from 15 plays per situation, 1st Down, 2nd and Short, etc. You then rank the plays with a 1-5 star system to determine preference.
My understanding is that they did a lot of research into what makes each team that team. Coaching tendencies were looked at quite closely. Now if this research translates into teams and coaches and players acting as they do IRL in Madden, who knows.

But as someone else said, this question is way too early. I haven't ran out the door to buy Madden in years, ever since '99 or 2000 it has been rent first.
The bold part was only mentioned and shown so far for offensive gameplanning. For defense they have only talked about personnel situations, ie 4WR 1RB.

I hope that down and distance also play a role on defensive gameplanning but it has not been confirmed to work that way on defense yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #32
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
That is useless IMO. A team can come out in 3 or 4 WR and either run or pass. Depending on what the other team's tendencies are that would change my play call drastically. For example if a team comes out with 4 WR and I know they have a tendency to pass, I would be more inclined to call some kind of pass defense out of the dime or nickle formation, but if the team has a tendency to run out of 4 WR, I would be more inclined to pick something that would stop the run out of the nickle or some type of zone defense with my base defense (4-3 or 3-4). Unfortunately though, this doesn't take into consideration the other teams tendencies. So if I set my gameplan up how I just said I would call my plays, gameflow may pick the base defense zone against a team with 4 WR that has a tenency to pass or pick the Dime pass defense against a team that has a tendecny to run. In other words, it'll be a crap shoot as to whether the right play gets called.
You do know you can override the call? Coaches do that during the game often..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »