Home

Current Madden ratings mean nothing

This is a discussion on Current Madden ratings mean nothing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Current Madden ratings mean nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
The ignorance in your post is stagering. To begin with, anyone who turns the game on is using sliders. Out of the box you are using EA's pre-set Rookie/Pro/All-Pro/All-Madden sliders. "Custom Sliders" allow you to make changes to those settings.

The game is "broken" but not in all the ways people claim it is.

Either way you look at it, that is what they do. Like it or not, the ratings are just a modifier, or base value, to a die roll. Sliders have an impact on that modifier as well. Through intense testing, people like Playmakers hone in on slider sets that allow the ratings to be respected and properly represented as best as we can.

As slider sets get tuned, that is when you really start to see where the real flaws in the game are as opposed to skewed result from poor default settings given to us by EA.
My ignorance is staggering? You should learn how to spell the word before you say something so ridiculous...

Obviously I was talking about changing the default sliders. A better way to say it would be the "default settings". Once you start changing these defaults slider settings you take the ratings out of the equation. And in many areas they never worked to begin with. I've personally done some intense testing myself and that is what I see.

Of course the ratings are a base value, of course customizing the sliders changes the default settings( to the point where the value are no longer relevant, like I said). You think your some madden guru whose words are gold. Sorry to disappoint you, that's simply not true.

Your arrogance is staggering....

Last edited by Johnny "Too Tall"; 12-18-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #74
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The sliders work correct out of the box for the 4,000,000 plus casual gamers. Little Johnny just wants to fire the game up and start with Manning hitting 80 yd bombs. The sliders are not set up "out of the box" for hardcore gamers on the internet.

The offline hardcore gamer can test sliders to their galore to get them playing the way they want to.

I've acknowledged several times regarding people that play the game online only. The only solution is to hope EA gives the online community sliders for different options on playing the game online.
To me, this come downs to what each person means by "correct". If by "correct" you mean the way EA intended, then yeah, they work right. However, if you mean the best way to simulate NFL football, I don't think so. LOL

If the standard for doing things correctly in Madden is set at doing them the way EA intended, then aside from a few glitches, Madden does everything else correctly. If some people actually believe that, I will just say there is a line between having a positive POV and being delusional.

Much propers to the guys that are able to get a better game of football using slider sets but these sliders are not designed to have a realistic NFL experience, IMO. There are designed to make outcomes easier or harder while disregarding all the steps in between. For example, if I play on Rookie level, the CPU will allow me to throw long passes and make big runs. They do this by dumbing down the CPU player ratings and having completely unrealistic things happen like a CB in perfect position to intercept the ball but he makes no play on it or the football morphs. All-Madden is the same principle but just in reverse.

Sliders should adjust difficulty by CPU play calling/pre-play adjustments, like another poster stated, and penalty perimeters. Revis is an elite CB and should be elite on Rookie, All Madden or any slider set. The difference between Rookie level Revis and All-Madden Revis should be the position he is in to make plays because of play calling/pre-play adjustments and how tight the refs are calling defensive and offensive penalties. Rookie level CPU Revis should get beat by Devin Thomas because the defensive play call is a deep zone against quick slants or Thomas got away with offensive pass interference. (Penalty perimeters on the default setting should be the most balanced, with Rookie level being extremely loose and All-Madden extremely tight for user controlled teams.) This would be a way to get realistic football outcomes on all difficulty levels without affecting ratings.

The focus for creating Madden being squarely on what the casuals can have fun with "out the box" is the main problem with the game, IMO. The main focus and foundation of the game should be realistically representing NFL football, no matter how complex. Then, creating sliders that can adjust this complex foundation and allow them to make preset difficulty settings, with user interfaces for various skill sets. The user interface is key because it should dictates how much user input is needed for play calling/pre-play adjustments. Similar to Gameflow in Madden 11 but with the play calling/pre-play adjustment interface having adaptive AI, tuned for chess style moves and counter-moves.

This would give Madden a casual friendly default/online/"out the box" setting without sacrificing NFL realism. When casuals are having fun playing Madden on default, they should still be playing NFL football. Right now, we are all just basically playing a run, kick, pass and catch competition with win/loss animations playing out according to slider settings.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 6
Question; do you guys agree that other sports games, the ratings matter more? Not starting any flame wars, but I can't hit 50 homers with a weak hitting SS in baseball games, and I can't average 30 ppg with a stiff in a hoops game, as easily as I can seemingly throw TDs at will in Madden. I'm ov ersimplifying, but I like reading the different people's opinions on what Madden does (and doesn't) do right.

It does bother me that the Madden sliders seem to be cloaked in such mystery. I still don't know why they can't tell us exactly what changing some of these sliders does behind the scenes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
To me, this come downs to what each person means by "correct". If by "correct" you mean the way EA intended, then yeah, they work right. However, if you mean the best way to simulate NFL football, I don't think so. LOL

If the standard for doing things correctly in Madden is set at doing them the way EA intended, then aside from a few glitches, Madden does everything else correctly. If some people actually believe that, I will just say there is a line between having a positive POV and being delusional.

Much propers to the guys that are able to get a better game of football using slider sets but these sliders are not designed to have a realistic NFL experience, IMO. There are designed to make outcomes easier or harder while disregarding all the steps in between. For example, if I play on Rookie level, the CPU will allow me to throw long passes and make big runs. They do this by dumbing down the CPU player ratings and having completely unrealistic things happen like a CB in perfect position to intercept the ball but he makes no play on it or the football morphs. All-Madden is the same principle but just in reverse.

Sliders should adjust difficulty by CPU play calling/pre-play adjustments, like another poster stated, and penalty perimeters. Revis is an elite CB and should be elite on Rookie, All Madden or any slider set. The difference between Rookie level Revis and All-Madden Revis should be the position he is in to make plays because of play calling/pre-play adjustments and how tight the refs are calling defensive and offensive penalties. Rookie level CPU Revis should get beat by Devin Thomas because the defensive play call is a deep zone against quick slants or Thomas got away with offensive pass interference. (Penalty perimeters on the default setting should be the most balanced, with Rookie level being extremely loose and All-Madden extremely tight for user controlled teams.) This would be a way to get realistic football outcomes on all difficulty levels without affecting ratings.

The focus for creating Madden being squarely on what the casuals can have fun with "out the box" is the main problem with the game, IMO. The main focus and foundation of the game should be realistically representing NFL football, no matter how complex. Then, creating sliders that can adjust this complex foundation and allow them to make preset difficulty settings, with user interfaces for various skill sets. The user interface is key because it should dictates how much user input is needed for play calling/pre-play adjustments. Similar to Gameflow in Madden 11 but with the play calling/pre-play adjustment interface having adaptive AI, tuned for chess style moves and counter-moves.

This would give Madden a casual friendly default/online/"out the box" setting without sacrificing NFL realism. When casuals are having fun playing Madden on default, they should still be playing NFL football. Right now, we are all just basically playing a run, kick, pass and catch competition with win/loss animations playing out according to slider settings.
Thank you (+million)
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #77
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576

I don't correlate Madden's out of the box sliders with the way of doing things the right way or the NFL way.

I take the sliders and address them to my needs. My needs are specific, QB Acc around 60%, 4.2 ypa for RB's, sacks, field goal%,etc...

Everyone's interpretation of sim, nfl ready and correct is subjective. And what I meant, by the word correct, is that the game is targeted to 4,000,000 million other people besides internet folks. Hard to tell what the other 4,000,000 million or so people want. For instance, I don't touch MUT, but it's a good seller, so, that mode will be enhanced further. I agree Madden should represent the NFL out of the box, but for the time being, and since I've been playing sports games, it's slider adjustment.

And Philly and TLC, there isn't a sport game on the Xbox LG and NG that I haven't fudged around with sliders. Even as sim as HH baseball was, I always tinkered with the Danger Z file and the PC file that came with the game. That game was tuned for All-Star play. I've even tinkered with sliders the the sim game of 2k11. Some don't, I do. Doesn't make me right and doesn't make them right either.

To each their own to get as close of a game as you want.

Last edited by roadman; 12-18-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #78
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Please keep in mind I just made this video raw with out editing anything. I get to the actual plays at about 2:30 min in. the first few min are me showing the set up, etc.

Well done.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #79
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I agree with you. I like to play chess a lot on my electronic chess board and there are difficulty levels that work based on decision making ability of the computer. Which is like play calling in my eyes. If you increase the difficulty the computer makes better decisions and are harder to beat because they have a gameplan and can essentially think ahead and react to my moves. The cpu chess pieces aren't able to move 5 spaces more than the previous level, they just make smarter decisions. This is how the difficulty should be set up in Madden.
perfect example of the ai logic i'd like to see in madden, coupled with effective ratings that are constant on all levels of difficulty.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #80
MVP

Honestly, I have grown beyond tired of Youtube Apostles- Versus, RyanMoody, Apex, etc...preaching the constant, recycled anti Madden gospel.

The game's ratings are tuned to all pro difficulty...its not a tough concept to grasp...but they apparently have nothing better to do then to spend hours editing commentating and playing through a game that they dont like, with some narcisistic belief that they carry clout.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »