Home

Moving back to an old Madden game..

This is a discussion on Moving back to an old Madden game.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Moving back to an old Madden game..

I would recommend the game i play when i have only my laptop - madden 07. If you go over to football-freaks.com I made a post about how to convert their madden 08 roster updates (still going strong) to 07. I say 07 over 08 for two reasons: 1. 07's engine moves at a bit slower and more realistic pace and 2. things like the tony bruno show are still there adding a lot of immersion for franchise.
08 is a bit more arcadey and too fast for me to get a running game going. If you go this route, keep in mind that the uniform updates they do on football-freaks for 08 are totally compatible for 07! good luck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #26
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4wduk3n
I would recommend the game i play when i have only my laptop - madden 07. If you go over to football-freaks.com I made a post about how to convert their madden 08 roster updates (still going strong) to 07. I say 07 over 08 for two reasons: 1. 07's engine moves at a bit slower and more realistic pace and 2. things like the tony bruno show are still there adding a lot of immersion for franchise.
08 is a bit more arcadey and too fast for me to get a running game going. If you go this route, keep in mind that the uniform updates they do on football-freaks for 08 are totally compatible for 07! good luck.
I just started playing Madden 08 again a few days ago. With the slider adjustments I'm using I'm having some great games against the CPU. I'll give 07 a try today. I just played a couple games of Madden 07, I like 08 a lot better. I'm sticking with 08 for now, having some great games.

Last edited by JMD; 02-09-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
Rookie

That's cool, just glad you found a game you like . If you try 'steelerz' 08 sliders from football-freaks with 07 they work well too. I have both installed for the change up in game speeds, but it could all just be subjective .
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #28
Rookie

Oh and keep in mind I meant on 07 and 08 on PC
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Cool...thanks for the feedback on this...Also could you elaborate on this "2 controller trick" please and tell me what it is for?
If you have two controllers you can start a game like your going to play a real person and then go in and change the sliders around for the "Dummy Profile" controller and then put that controller back to have the cpu play, but it will use those set of sliders. Basically it is a workaround to have sliders for both you and the cpu.

Some guy on here came up with it shortly after the game came out. Do a search for "Dummy Profile" and you will see a bunch of stuff pop up. There was 1 main thread titled "Better then watching the real NFL" or something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis
Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
I know, I know...you must be all thinking that Im either absolutely nuts or dont know a thing about football. Well it may be neither, either, or both but I have to share this with everyone because it was sort of a guilty pleasure!

Last night after the Superbowl, I was getting that video game football itch that I normally do from time to time so I popped in Madden 11. I played about 3 drives and for some reason, that itch just turned into a painfully pus-filled wound. I just couldnt get into the game for some reason. So since I was still craving a little gridiron NFL, I turned to Madden 09 since I havent played it for so long.....

Well, let me just say this, it was like an adrenalin rush of sweet surprise for me...like biting into Fruit and Nut Cadbury chocolate bar you havent had for a long time. I mean right off the bat you notice the gameplay has a more organic wide and fluid feel to it. Different things seem to happen more often during the game. The player models are more varied and stylized in an exaggerated but more fluid way. Passing the rock felt much more varied and old school with more degrees of loft and zip you can control. And the whole experience was just all around more fun....I finished an entire game between 2 random teams that I didnt even care about because I felt the gameplay was more engaging and entertaining.

Now, I'm certain that this probably defies all sorts of Maddenonian Logic, that a game 2 versions earlier could be 'better' ...and perhaps better inst really even the proper term, but it was certainly more,....well, fun!

Can anyone therapy this for me?...have I gone completely mad or could there actually be some explanation for all this?

I actually want to now continue my old 09 Franchise and never play M11 again as a result!

Advice sorely needed!

May not be a big deal to you, but to me, zero presentation in M09 lulled me to sleep.

Add the fact no refs on the field, and the SB played and sounded like a preseason game, and I just can't go back.

Granted, M10 tried better presentation, and while it was nice, it's still not jaw-dropping. But at least I have:

A SB feeling like a SB, complete with field logos....

Refs on the field......

Cutscenes, while repetitive, are nice.

Decent big play celebrations.

Etc.

But to each their own...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
May not be a big deal to you, but to me, zero presentation in M09 lulled me to sleep.

Add the fact no refs on the field, and the SB played and sounded like a preseason game, and I just can't go back.

Granted, M10 tried better presentation, and while it was nice, it's still not jaw-dropping. But at least I have:

A SB feeling like a SB, complete with field logos....

Refs on the field......

Cutscenes, while repetitive, are nice.

Decent big play celebrations.

Etc.

But to each their own...

I play madden 07 on the wii, but the one madden i still own on ps3 is 09.
I like elements of the presentation.

the tv style stuff:

lineups
mucho stat overlays
NO CUT SCENES! lol

plus it has SOME semblance of a meaningful preseason.
training is still there at least.

yes there are warts, but i imagine it like an arcade/sim hybrid.
works for me til 12
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #32
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

After playing last week's Super Bowl matchup in Madden 11 on the PS3, I decided I'd had enough with the game and wound up trading it in yesterday. Got $28 for it, thanks to the 50% extra trade-in credit promotion GameStop currently has.

I tried, tried and tried to like Madden 11 but I could just never get the game to play the way I wanted to. Too many big plays, not enough pressure by my DL, overpowered CPU DTs when you bump up the sliders and the terrible CPU playcalling was just too much to overcome for me.

It's too bad because I had high expectations for 11 after playing Madden 10 for a year.

I've gone back to the PS2 and am playing Madden 09 and having a blast.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »