Home

The solution to the ratings is more ratings?

This is a discussion on The solution to the ratings is more ratings? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: The solution to the ratings is more ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I take significant issue with using weight as a property of speed/agility/acceleration. By speed we are referring to velocity which is mathematically described as distance/time. Mass (or weight at earth's gravity) does not figure into that equation and we do have data that we can use to help determine the velocity of how fast players move in an environment. I would be in favor of using this data, as long as we do NOT use weight within the equation of determining speed. It is a HUGE fallacy to believe that a 300lb DT that runs a 4.80 is faster or slower than a 220lb TE who runs a 4.80 simply because the DT is larger. In reality, the time and distance is equal for both, making their velocity over the course of the 40yard run equal as well. SO please do not try to come up with something that will defy logic as EA has done for years now. I hate the fact that WRs and CBs have to be faster than QBs who run the same 40 times simply because they are WRs or CBs...simply illogical.
The term Burner wouldn't indicate any specific forty time, only that a player is fast for his size.

USA Today had Dwight Freeney running a 4.38 out of college; he may be blazing fast, but he doesn't get the same opportunity as Ted Ginn to showcase it.

Speed on a physical plane = distance/time, as you mentioned. Speed in the EA universe doesn't. It's a regulatory tool. And while it's a leap of logic, you simply can't have defensive ends or quarterbacks with 99 speed, or running backs and receivers with 99 strength. Sure, Arian Foster might bench as much Donald Penn, but their strength is applied in different ways on the field.

Warren Sapp ran a 4.6 at Miami. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 at the combine. They play at completely different speeds, and this has to be represented in the game. Madden would be unplayable, otherwise.

Then again, it already is. So go for it, I guess.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze688
The term Burner wouldn't indicate any specific forty time, only that a player is fast for his size.

USA Today had Dwight Freeney running a 4.38 out of college; he may be blazing fast, but he doesn't get the same opportunity as Ted Ginn to showcase it.

Speed on a physical plane = distance/time, as you mentioned. Speed in the EA universe doesn't. It's a regulatory tool. And while it's a leap of logic, you simply can't have defensive ends or quarterbacks with 99 speed, or running backs and receivers with 99 strength. Sure, Arian Foster might bench as much Donald Penn, but their strength is applied in different ways on the field.

Warren Sapp ran a 4.6 at Miami. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 at the combine. They play at completely different speeds, and this has to be represented in the game. Madden would be unplayable, otherwise.

Then again, it already is. So go for it, I guess.
What you are saying, however, is exactly what I am arguing against! Just because Warren Sapp ran a 4.6 at Miami doesn't mean he HAS to be slower than Anquan Boldin, when in fact he showed that over a period of 40 yards he is faster. Just because a guy plays a particular position doesn't mean you can simply negate the fact that he was proven to be faster in the only sense of "ideal" linear conditions we have. Position (and how you use it) should have NO bearing whatsoever on how fast a player potentially is. I would argue that if a DE runs a 4.38 and that would be a 90 SPD or whatever for a WR, then make him have that 90 SPD. What about Vick? Should his 4.35 speed be dropped down because he is a QB and not a WR? That doesn't make sense. And I also disagree that using a template regardless of position would ruin the game. I have shown in several tests that using this method will make the game a bit more realistic. Someone like Playmakers who has used the FBG system in NCAA football has stated that it made the game more realistic and offered more ratings variation...something that people have been clamoring for.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Just fix the animations, AI, physics & current ratings so everything works. After that, sure, give folks some help interpreting the ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i think madden has all the ratings it needs to express the NFL.

it does not have all the animations it needs. and it is lacking tendencies which gives unique play styles to players.

however, if re rated using drastic numbers players shine while others support.

ex. you want CB's to stop mirroring WR drop their god like agility ratings, you wanna see the difference between AP and mike tolbert rate them drastically different.

it sickens me to see LB's with 80 agility, when you have corners with 80 and LB with the same numbers why are we surprised when they can cover like DB's

if we are going to share the same number system for all players, numbers are going to have to be used differently, NO LB should have above 40 agility IMO........

because the game lacks animations there is no way to express a nimble 250lb guy from a nimble 185 lb guy.

imagine if a basketball game gave a PG and a C the same fadeaway animation with the same heght on the jump etc ......cmon.

there are so many ratings in this game that have a 90 that should be 50 at best on most players, but to each his own i guess,

and if we are going to use this OVR in games the superstar needs to be at least 25 points better than his supporting cast, if D ware is 95 then the next best guy on that DL needs to be 70-75 Ovr at best....

and i think this is the main reason trade and draft logic can't work, the cowboys would tell you HELL NO we wont trade D ware its impossible to replace him but in madden there are many players with his abilities and ratings so why not........

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Would work good for creating special packages like goal line, hail mary to defense goal line and passing downs. But keep the ratings. Just make them more effective. Mass subs would help this also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »