Home

Why Line Play Will Never Be Realistic in Football Games

This is a discussion on Why Line Play Will Never Be Realistic in Football Games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #113
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Why Line Play Will Never Be Realistic in Football Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderl33t
The author apparently hasn't played NCAA on heisman difficulty. You get about 2 seconds of protection on average.
That's not realism though - that's just the game engine upping the pass rush speed and ignoring the lineman's stats to make it feel harder.

Higher difficulty does not equal more realistic, when it comes to videogames - especially if the CPU is simply "cheating" to make it harder for you to play.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #114
MVP

OVR: 34
I feel APF does it well, but even that game doesnt do it well enough.

Im with Weeman on this one.

If I have Deacon Jones and Dexter Manley as my twin bookends against a all generic OL, Im not asking for sacks every drop back.

What I do expect is some serious stress on a consistant basis. Whoever Im playing should feel those OTs getting overwhelmed by the talent gap, forcing him to max protect.

To me, A generic player in APF is the equivelant of your joe schmoe average NFL player.

Sure, he can make the basic plays, but when matched up against elite level talent on a consistant basis, he gets exposed.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #115
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I feel APF does it well, but even that game doesnt do it well enough.

Im with Weeman on this one.

If I have Deacon Jones and Dexter Manley as my twin bookends against a all generic OL, Im not asking for sacks every drop back.

What I do expect is some serious stress on a consistant basis. Whoever Im playing should feel those OTs getting overwhelmed by the talent gap, forcing him to max protect.

To me, A generic player in APF is the equivelant of your joe schmoe average NFL player.

Sure, he can make the basic plays, but when matched up against elite level talent on a consistant basis, he gets exposed.
You bring up a good point but what you and wee neglect is that none of these football games have ever allowed the user to call protection schemes. I mean slide left or right is hardly a protection scheme. Now it they allowed me to specifically call protection schemes and tell my back who to specifically chip and watch then instant pressure is almost unfair.

It is basically if you have no oline you can't play. Now if you allow specific user called doubles, triples, slides and chips in conjunction then it would be fair to add more realistic pass rush speeds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #116
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

i guess others have mentioned.

I Donīt have a problem with Default settings being 5 to 7 sec to throw the ball.
But if i lower PB i should get realistic Pressure from the DL. Period.

Why i get sliders if these are not doing what they should?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #117
Rookie

OVR: 4
There only needs to be a few changes to create realistic line play in madden.

1. STRENGTH
STR ratings should be associated with a BULLRUSH animation/function. Most D-linemen and OLBs create penetration by pushing the O-line back, not by slipping off a ton of blocks. Using swim and spin moves. Now swim and spin moves exist typically only the elite D-linemen use these everyone else just pushes. STRENGTH/Weight should be the most important rating for a D-lineman. Haloti Ngata weighs 360lbs and dominates without spin and swim moves, but is simply stronger and bigger than most linemen. This would dramatically improve line play and also make 3-4 defenses more effective.

2. AUTOMATIC DOUBLE TEAMS:
The Game needs to establish automatic DBL Teams. A 325+ D-Lineman needs to be immediately DBL Teamed. No coach would let a 290LB Center block a 350lb Nose tackle one on one. With many teams now imploying a 3-4 defense this needs to be immediately fixed.

3. PASS BLOCK FOOTWORK
This rating should be more important than PB STR watch the NFL Combine and NFL Draft. O-line with better feet are much better that lineman with raw strength. A fast OLB should be able to get aroung a OT with a 65 PB Footwork rating.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #118
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niq54
There only needs to be a few changes to create realistic line play in madden.

1. STRENGTH
STR ratings should be associated with a BULLRUSH animation/function. Most D-linemen and OLBs create penetration by pushing the O-line back, not by slipping off a ton of blocks. Using swim and spin moves. Now swim and spin moves exist typically only the elite D-linemen use these everyone else just pushes. STRENGTH/Weight should be the most important rating for a D-lineman. Haloti Ngata weighs 360lbs and dominates without spin and swim moves, but is simply stronger and bigger than most linemen. This would dramatically improve line play and also make 3-4 defenses more effective.

2. AUTOMATIC DOUBLE TEAMS:
The Game needs to establish automatic DBL Teams. A 325+ D-Lineman needs to be immediately DBL Teamed. No coach would let a 290LB Center block a 350lb Nose tackle one on one. With many teams now imploying a 3-4 defense this needs to be immediately fixed.

3. PASS BLOCK FOOTWORK
This rating should be more important than PB STR watch the NFL Combine and NFL Draft. O-line with better feet are much better that lineman with raw strength. A fast OLB should be able to get aroung a OT with a 65 PB Footwork rating.
Plus:

-Engaged player mobility which will enable edge rushing
-Edge rushing AI & animations
-Get rid of the need to engage before using a move
-More defensive moves
-Get rid of eyes-n-back-of-head AI to enable realistic overload rushes/blitzes
-Reprogram/reroute stunts with a realistic goal of a stunt in mind - confusion/occupy & beating recovering o-linemen
-Proper depth & angles of pass protection
-Realistic pass route / QB drop timing
-Realistic DB/WR interaction/animation
-Tiered defensive play calling
Old 04-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #119
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
-Tiered defensive play calling
How madden does not have this yet is mind boggling. This is huge allow us to call our own dline rush stunts independent of play call. 2k has been the only game to do this.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #120
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
How madden does not have this yet is mind boggling. This is huge allow us to call our own dline rush stunts independent of play call. 2k has been the only game to do this.

NFL FEVER had it also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »