Home

Are penalties fixed this year?

This is a discussion on Are penalties fixed this year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Are penalties fixed this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2009tm
What about offsides? Have yet to see it called!

i have seen offsides called but it has only been against the cmp and they are in hurry up and they hike ball and my defender hasent got back across los, but i also agree they should fix them that way u don't have mess with sliders to get them called... theres so many penalties that alot arent even in the game would like see all them in game.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

penalties are probably near the bottom of my personal list, but are definitely on the list.

It seems like the more I crank the slider up, it calls the penalty at a more frequent rate, but only on the Human player..
Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by db56
penalties are probably near the bottom of my personal list, but are definitely on the list.

It seems like the more I crank the slider up, it calls the penalty at a more frequent rate, but only on the Human player..

That's true except for offsides. Put offside all the way up, and the CPU will get one a game or more when setting up for a FG. But human player will never get offsides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Its not right to have a (SIM) football game and the penalites are not even present in the game. Im hoping for the best for Madden 12, maybe the penalties will make a return this year.
All penalties are present in the game, save for Roughing the Passer (I really don't think it's possible to draw that one), I've seen them all called at least once. Offensive PI I've seen called only once, but I gut a Defensive PI about every 3-5 games in my franchise (most often on crossing slants, when one receiver runs into the corner trying to cover the other guy), and you have to manually control a player to draw a Roughing the Kicker or Fair Catch Interference penalty, but it is definitely in the game.

That said, yes, the system needs a huge overhaul, especially on Facemasks I've actually tried to keep track, on average, there are 5-6 Facemasks called against the player for a single one called against the CPu. Considering Facemask is a penalty that I as a player have absolutely no control about that's simply frustrating and makes me want to disable Facemask penalties altogether.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Reading some threads on another website about NCAA, the penalties like pass interference and roughing the passer have been seen being called by the refs. Not sure if this translates into Madden though.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

As I said, Pass Interference is definitely in the game and does get called, Defensive PI is rare, but if you play some seasons you should usually see it a couple times. Offensive PI is really rare but it does happen as well, I've seen it myself.

The problem is that a CPU controlled player seems to NEVER draw such a flag from the player he's assigned to defend (which is actually a good thing, the way CBs are bumping the WRs on streaks, that'd be a Defensive PI on every second play which no one really wants), but if you user a CB and let him run into a WR while a ball is being thrown to him, or the other way round, have the WR bump into the CB while he is preparing to jump for the ball, and you will draw Defensive/Offensive PI. Crossing slants are also a good opportunity to draw a Defensive PI, throw the ball just before the receivers cross and sometimes the CB covering the other guy will bump into the receiver you targeted and make him miss the catch, then you will get your penalty (I guess because the CB is assigned to another receiver, he can actually draw the flag even if CPU controlled)

Offside and Encroachment do happen, if rarely, mostly when there's a lot of presnap motion involved, sometimes a defender will jump, but it seems to be completely unrelated to fake snaps. I really hope Madden just adopts NCAA's system for this, with an option to set your Dline on Aggressive, Normal or Conservative. On Aggressive, your line will more often jump the snap, but is more likely to be drawn offside by a fake snap as well. Simple and effective, it may need a little bit of fine-tuning but it's a lot better than the current system.

I've had Roughing the Kicker called twice against me so yes, that penalty is definitely in the game. Again, the CPU never draws that flag, as well as Fair Catch Interference, CPU controlled gunners will NEVER run into a returner after he has called for a fair catch. But if you user a player and let him run into the kicker/punter/return guy, you will get the flag.

As I said earlier, the only thing I've really never seen is Roughing the Passer, I'd really like to know if other people have EVER seen a Roughing the Passer penalty and when, because right now, I'm convinced it's actually impossible (or very close to) to get this penalty. Again, this is not necessarily a bad thing, the way the pass rush works in this game, you'd get Roughing the Passer penalties on every second passing game if the penalty was really called by the rules. Defenders will always go for the QB and tackle him even seconds after he has already thrown the ball, unless they fix that, I don't see how Roughing the Passer could really work in Madden.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
All penalties are present in the game
Uh...no,all penalties are not in the game.
1-illegal touching
2-illegal man downfield
3-defensive holding
4-offsides on kick-offs
5-off setting penalties

That's 5 right there,that are NOT in the game,and before anybody accuses me of being a "*****",I do have the game preordered and do plan on going to the midnight release.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Uh...no,all penalties are not in the game.
1-illegal touching
2-illegal man downfield
3-defensive holding
4-offsides on kick-offs
5-off setting penalties

That's 5 right there,that are NOT in the game,and before anybody accuses me of being a "*****",I do have the game preordered and do plan on going to the midnight release.
i also agree here is a list of penalties theres 11 in madden read the list of these so nno not all are in the game.

Digest of Rules Main

Summary of Penalties

Automatic First Down

1. Awarded to offensive team on all defensive fouls with these exceptions:
  1. Offside.
  2. Encroachment.
  3. Delay of game.
  4. Illegal substitution.
  5. Excessive time out(s).
  6. Incidental grasp of facemask.
  7. Neutral zone infraction.
  8. Running into the kicker.
  9. More than 11 players on the field at the snap.
Five Yards
  1. Defensive holding or illegal use of hands (automatic first down).
  2. Delay of game on offense or defense.
  3. Delay of kickoff.
  4. Encroachment.
  5. Excessive time out(s).
  6. False start.
  7. Illegal formation.
  8. Illegal shift.
  9. Illegal motion.
  10. Illegal substitution.
  11. First onside kickoff out of bounds between goal lines and untouched or last touched by kicker.
  12. Invalid fair catch signal.
  13. More than 11 players on the field at snap for either team.
  14. Less than seven men on offensive line at snap.
  15. Offside.
  16. Failure to pause one second after shift or huddle.
  17. Running into kicker.
  18. More than one man in motion at snap.
  19. Grasping facemask of the ball carrier or quarterback.
  20. Player out of bounds at snap.
  21. Ineligible member(s) of kicking team going beyond line of scrimmage before ball is kicked.
  22. Illegal return.
  23. Failure to report change of eligibility.
  24. Neutral zone infraction.
  25. Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise.
  26. Ineligible player downfield during passing down.
  27. Second forward pass behind the line.
  28. Forward pass is first touched by eligible receiver who has gone out of bounds and returned.
  29. Forward pass touches or is caught by an ineligible receiver on or behind line.
  30. Forward pass thrown from behind line of scrimmage after ball once crossed the line.
  31. Kicking team player voluntarily out of bounds during a punt.
  32. Twelve (12) men in the huddle.
10 Yards
  1. Offensive pass interference.
  2. Holding, illegal use of hands, arms, or body by offense.
  3. Tripping by a member of either team.
  4. Helping the runner.
  5. Deliberately batting or punching a loose ball.
  6. Deliberately kicking a loose ball.
  7. Illegal block above the waist.
15 Yards
  1. Chop block.
  2. Clipping below the waist.
  3. Fair catch interference.
  4. Illegal crackback block by offense.
  5. Piling on.
  6. Roughing the kicker.
  7. Roughing the passer.
  8. Twisting, turning, or pulling an opponent by the facemask.
  9. Unnecessary roughness.
  10. Unsportsmanlike conduct.
  11. Delay of game at start of either half.
  12. Illegal low block.
  13. A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.
  14. Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.
  15. A punter, placekicker, or holder who simulates being roughed by a defensive player.
  16. Leaping.
  17. Leverage.
  18. Any player who removes his helmet after a play while on the field.
  19. Taunting.
Five Yards and Loss of Down (Combination Penalty)
  1. Forward pass thrown from beyond line of scrimmage.
10 Yards and Loss of Down (Combination Penalty)
  1. Intentional grounding of forward pass (safety if passer is in own end zone). If foul occurs more than 10 yards behind line, play results in loss of down at spot of foul.
15 Yards and Loss of Coin Toss Option
  1. Team’s late arrival on the field prior to scheduled kickoff.
  2. Captains not appearing for coin toss.
15 Yards (and disqualification if flagrant)
  1. Striking opponent with fist.
  2. Kicking or kneeing opponent.
  3. Striking opponent on head or neck with forearm, elbow, or hands whether or not the initial contact is made below the neck area.
  4. Roughing kicker.
  5. Roughing passer.
  6. Malicious unnecessary roughness.
  7. Unsportsmanlike conduct.
  8. Palpably unfair act. (Distance penalty determined by the Referee after consultation with other officials.)
15 Yards and Automatic Disqualification
  1. Using a helmet (not worn) as a weapon.
  2. Striking or purposely shoving a game official.
Suspension From Game For One Down
  1. Illegal equipment. (Player may return after one down when legally equipped.)
Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)
  1. When Referee determines a palpably unfair act deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en route to touchdown.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »