Home

Has the Madden team lost its innovative spirit?

This is a discussion on Has the Madden team lost its innovative spirit? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #97
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Has the Madden team lost its innovative spirit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
Hey Roadman. Nah, not hate--the indifference is strong.

I'm not disappointed, as that would imply I care. I'm just not motivated enough to care anymore. EA has been, well, EA for too many years now. Year after year of marketing-speak, features we don't care about, poor quality assurance, Peter Moore, gimmicks where they try to be all things to all people (I still cringe when I remember that commercial a few years back when it showed a father playing against his 10 year old daughter 'cause "it adapts to you!").

And honestly, in hindsight I look back on the "interaction with the community" as just another marketing tool for them. Last year, for example, with all of the "interaction", why did EA wait until two weeks before E3 before announcing there was NOTHING done to franchise when:

a) They knew WELL before then they weren't doing anything to it,

b) They saw on the forums that people were reasonably assuming/expecting franchise improvements for the upcoming ('11) year and were thinking EA wasn't saying anything up till then because they were waiting for E3 to make those announcements.

When they did make the announcement, the timing was such that I interpreted it as preemptive "hey, we better say something now before E3, otherwise there will be such an outcry about no franchise that the message we DO want to get out will be lost. Let's take our lumps now and get it out of the way so that WE can control the message/topic at E3."

Year after year it's the same thing--marketing, excitement, release, missing or broken features, disappointment, up to 4 months for patches. And every following year responses from EA or other forum members of "this year it'll be different", "this year we should give them the benefit of the doubt because (insert reason here), etc.

So I'm long past disappointment. I'm at indifference and resignation. But the kind of resignation that easily allows me to move on. Oh sure, it's entertaining to pop in the forums once in a great while (much like visiting an old neighborhood), but it's not much more than that.

I'm sure some will disagree with my comments or think they're unreasonable, and that's cool. I'm not looking to convince anyone or sway anyone to my point of view. It's just where I'm at. If people enjoy this or next year's Madden, great, more power to them. I'll just revisit Madden in a few years and see what's going on then.
Sadly I feel the same way you do. Though I have to say this year's game has re-ignited some of the "Madden spark" within me. I can't say that I'm entirely "excited" for the game, but at the very least I'm curious.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #98
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

I just saw this video on youtube. I think it's very astute.

The premise: Madden 12 is a beefed up Madden 08. Ie, everything was working fine in M08 and franchise could've been built on better on top of the things they did well, which is in line with Adem was suggesting earlier, about building on top of things done well. Yet EA over the next three titles meandered off, losing all those good things they did well.

Last edited by GGEden; 05-29-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #99
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Returns are marred by locomotion.
What do you mean by this?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #100
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man

Now my question is what has Madden "nailed" about the sport of football, so much so that when you do X part of the game you're just giddy? I don't think there's any aspect of the game that's been "checked off," so to speak.
I'm assuming you didn't play 11 much?

First, for me, last year, run blocking made me giddy. Draw plays started working like they were suppose to and blockers went into the second level.

After the last patch and 1st tuner set on 11, the flats became better covered. That made me giddy. That's why I'm confused by one of the You Tube videos(usually don't watch them because of the length of some of them) stating that flats in 12 should be covered better?? They were already covered better by the last patch and tuner set in December. That's why I question if the person even held onto the game that long to make that statement.

Now, what can they do to make me giddier for 12?

A. Gameflow/game planning can be innovative if the defensive side of play calling is working properly on downs and distance. Also, no needs for calling streak plays on offense every time it's 3 and 10.

B. Better zone and man D which appears to be confirmed.

C. Consecutive hit tackling and no suctioning on blocking and tackling, which appears to be confirmed.

D. Deeper and workable franchise mode which seems to be confirmed.(except for the workable part)

E. Playing the game like you see on Sunday which seems to be confirmed with all the different broadcast cameras that were included.

We'll see how all this comes out in the wash.

Last edited by roadman; 05-29-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #101
43M
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbreezex
Honestly guys, if i was the head of madden's developement YOU ALL WILL BE HAPPY. I can go on about my ideas and what should be included, a couple years ago i wrote it down by hand about 4 or 5 pages i believe. But I was like 11 or 12 then. I was truly trying to help EA with madden (franchise mode,visuals, and player equipment wise) I posted ideas daily on their website. But I was put down after seeing how madden 10 came out and i said to myself "they didn't listen to $h!t the community said" and i said screw it. I play football myself and I gave ideas specifically to my experiences and what I know. But im a little older now and games are to the least of my concern (School,Sports,Girls, and Hanging out is what im focused on LOL). Im just going to watch and observe what madden does because before I truly cared about helping them out on their website but now SCREW IT! lol

P.S. Its been a while but some of you may remember me as "Warrior310" on insideblog.easports.com

PEACE OUT
For one...tons of people have posted great and innovative ideas. You arent the only one to have ideas "ignored".

Secondly, if you think its really as simple as that, you are a bit delusional when it comes to how it all works. Im positive Ian Cummings seen just about every innovative idea to come on here and I know he liked many of the ideas. If it was as easy as just thinking or seeing it and doing it, Madden would be alot better right now. People constantly fail to consider how difficult alot of these innovative ideas are to implement and/or how resource intensive they are. So while you (and others) say it would be better if you were in charge, Id wager to say it wouldnt be much better/different. While I dont deny you have good ideas, its not as simple as you make it sound.

That being said, I am not trying to defend EA. They have slacked off in several areas and the game should be much better this far into this generation, but I understand that fans (including myself to a point) seem to think their ideas can just easily be thrown in the game. Some ideas...sure, but those easy things are usually miniscule changes that arent priority. The truly great and innovative ideas either could be implemented but might take away from other aspects of the game, or simply arent realistic on this generation of consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #102
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by je_2512
THIS!! This exact idea for the "vision cone" replacement is perfect, IMO! It does the same job without the freaking flashlight being on the field. It simulates closely what a QB really sees in-game...he only "sees" the receivers within his field of vision, and therefor can ONLY throw to those he sees.
Thank you for agreeing. I had put together a whole brake down on how it could have been implemented, and made user friendly, but unfortunately the cone was removed.

It really baffles my mind why it was not just made a option. That was a very poor decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGEden
Imo, the whole vision cone/icon idea isn't good. Because WE are the QB. It's up to our own literal visual skills and pocket presence and understanding of the play, where the receivers are for each route.

I think the best idea ive seen to bring the experience of quarterback is what BackBreaker uses. Where you have that fixed camera view, can only look at one side of the field at a time, have to switch your head to view which is represented by the screen moving horizontally when you push the stick left/right that locks onto a receiver. All they need to do is just move the camera back and up a TINY bit so it's a little less jarring.

I hate the god-camera view, especially as it also went further back in M11. A too close/tight BB camera is too jarring and not good. EA could also just put back in the custom camera option, but it has to work where if you do have a zoomed in view, the camera understands to pull back a certain distance when passing, or that pull back angle can also be calibrated in the custom camera option.
I totally respect your feelings on the whole vision cone situation, and for everyone else that feels the same way you do.

This is why a option for it would make everyone happy. By default it would not be on, and you can enjoy the game exactly the way it is, and players like myself. Who loved the vision cone. Have the CHOICE to turn it on , and play with the vision cone.

See how making it a option makes both you and I happy. OPTIONS only makes the product better not worst.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 05-29-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #103
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I totally respect your feelings on the whole vision cone situation, and for everyone else that feels the same way you do.

This is why a option for it would make everyone happy. By default it would not be on, and you can enjoy the game exactly the way it is, and players like myself. Who loved the vision cone. Have the CHOICE to turn it on , and play with the vision cone.

See how making it a option makes both you and I happy. OPTIONS only makes the product better not worst.
Sorry, btw, I didn't mean my post to come across as dissing you or your idea at all. Just stating a personal preference to the BB-way. But likewise, i respect your input, and you're right - giving everyone options is always the best thing. Custom camera angle with ability to calibrate starting and zoom-out on pass play angles...vision-cone on/off option...and whatever other similar ideas. Icon-cone is at least much better than vision cone.

Last edited by GGEden; 05-29-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #104
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43M
For one...tons of people have posted great and innovative ideas. You arent the only one to have ideas "ignored".

Secondly, if you think its really as simple as that, you are a bit delusional when it comes to how it all works. Im positive Ian Cummings seen just about every innovative idea to come on here and I know he liked many of the ideas. If it was as easy as just thinking or seeing it and doing it, Madden would be alot better right now. People constantly fail to consider how difficult alot of these innovative ideas are to implement and/or how resource intensive they are. So while you (and others) say it would be better if you were in charge, Id wager to say it wouldnt be much better/different. While I dont deny you have good ideas, its not as simple as you make it sound.

That being said, I am not trying to defend EA. They have slacked off in several areas and the game should be much better this far into this generation, but I understand that fans (including myself to a point) seem to think their ideas can just easily be thrown in the game. Some ideas...sure, but those easy things are usually miniscule changes that arent priority. The truly great and innovative ideas either could be implemented but might take away from other aspects of the game, or simply arent realistic on this generation of consoles.
bro i ask for simple things. If it was so hard why is madden for ps2 more enjoyable. come on im tired of that lame excuse but you, I, and everyone else knows that madden should be top notch right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »