Home

Why are people so sensitive and personally invested?

This is a discussion on Why are people so sensitive and personally invested? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Why are people so sensitive and personally invested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Imo,the exclusive license excuse is shenanigans. Nothing has changed..People love to complain and criticize games.The difference is now there's only one company to take the heat.
How is it shenanigans though? You just said that the only difference between 2004 and 2011 is that "only one company is taking the heat now". What could have possibly caused that? Perhaps the exclusive license?

And it's not like we're only picking on EA here (unfortunately this is a Madden forum, so our discussion has to focus on Madden most of the time). But if we move the discussion to 2k, the same thing happened to their baseball division. They were enjoying relatively high scores until they barred EA from continuing their MVP series in 2006. Then the scores plummeted. The fact of the matter is that when you eliminate competition, people put you at a higher standard, and they're exponentially more disappointed when you don't reach them. And if you appear to be coasting (i.e. Madden 2006-2009), then the disappointment is even more magnified.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #82
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab_Impervious_XII
How is it shenanigans though? You just said that the only difference between 2004 and 2011 is that "only one company is taking the heat now". What could have possibly caused that? Perhaps the exclusive license?

And it's not like we're only picking on EA here (unfortunately this is a Madden forum, so our discussion has to focus on Madden most of the time). But if we move the discussion to 2k, the same thing happened to their baseball division. They were enjoying relatively high scores until they barred EA from continuing their MVP series in 2006. Then the scores plummeted. The fact of the matter is that when you eliminate competition, people put you at a higher standard, and they're exponentially more disappointed when you don't reach them. And if you appear to be coasting (i.e. Madden 2006-2009), then the disappointment is even more magnified.
The exclusive license gives people an excuse for irrational behavior.

As I said in the context of the actual question of the thread, the license is invalid. People were just as hypersensitive and crtical 7 years ago, the only difference is 1 target vs. 2..

2k's game hasn't suffered after the license deal. Their game was never that good to begin with.

It's funny people seem to forget the glaring problems that 2k football games had.. Revionist history at work.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #83
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
There seemed to be more hyperbole in that one sentence than my whole post. LOL

That re-post from another thread and my point made about the exclusive license being the main cause of sensitivity in the rest of my post, were two separate points. However, the presents of one does cause a reaction to the other. People are not emotionally tied to the football game genre because of the exclusive license nor is the exclusive license responsible for their emotional ties. Yet when people are emotional invested into something, like playing football video games throughout there entire life and they feel the only company allowed to make those games, could care less about the quality of those games but only maximizing the profit from them, it pisses people off.

What's hyperbolic about that? LOL
I think the whole EA has desecrated your way of life, or whatever nonsense you posted was hyperbolic. Emotionally invested? Please.

The License does make an convenient shield to hide behind in order to justify such ridiculousness.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #84
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
The original poster act like this game is free, this game is $60!!!! People are tired of shedding out $60 every year for a game that lacks features, and evolved little since 2001 game-play wise.
I guess when you buy a product, any product, you don't care if it works right or not, and you thinking Madden 11 was a good football game tells me you have bad judgement on what a good football game should be.
If it's not worth it,or $60 is too big of a burden for you to bear, simply don't buy the game. No one is forcing you to buy it.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #85
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Yeah, I know. A martyr makes for a legend... imagine if M05 had released with the CPU only drafting 3 or 4 particular positions in the first round. Same thing happened w/MVP baseball. IMO, nobody has come close to their fielding.

I guess that people are so fired up for Madden, just 'cuz they're people... and the reason they choose to justify their intensity shifts over time. Like politics.
So you seriously believe that without an exclusive NFL license that this many people would give two funks about Madden?

I know for fact, I wouldn't and didn't as long as other companies were allowed to make NFL football games. I can't tell you how good or bad Madden 2000-2005 were with certainty because I was mostly playing another NFL game. I would be more upset with other companies for not producing a better NFL game to take advantage of Madden's faults than I would about Madden having them if there was no exclusive license.

Not trying to be funny but being a Mod, imagine how many warnings and bans you personally would have never given if other companies could make NFL games. I am sure there would be many current and former Osers that would not have even bothered posting anything about Madden if not for this exclusive NFL license.

It's due to this exclusive license that I am even in the Madden forum posting this now. LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #86
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
\
I know for fact, I wouldn't and didn't as long as other companies were allowed to make NFL football games.
No, you don't know that for fact. That's impossible to know.

The license does provide a convenient excuse for irrational behavior and blind brand loyalty.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #87
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:

Not trying to be funny but being a Mod, imagine how many warnings and bans you personally would have never given if other companies could make NFL games. I am sure there would be many current and former Osers that would not have even bothered posting anything about Madden if not for this exclusive NFL license.
Are you kidding. When I was an admin here back when there were both games, we were banning and warning people like crazy.. Brand loyalty and the wars between the two owner groups was ridiculous. Nothing has changed. There's no way to say it any more plainly.

The warning system and the cell were implemented specifically because of the football game forums. Both 2k and Madden.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #88
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I think the whole EA has desecrated your way of life, or whatever nonsense you posted was hyperbolic. Emotionally invested? Please.

The License does make an convenient shield to hide behind in order to justify such ridiculousness.
I always find it helpful in an internet forum to actually understand what someone posted before I comment on it and if I deem it "nonsense" I don't see much point in commenting on it anyway. LOL

Also, I find it much more ridiculous for EA or anyone else to actually believe that having only one company suddenly being allowed to make NFL football games after for 20+ years of NFL football game choices, is not a valid reason for consumers to be upset.

The competition's consumers have been hated this exclusive license from day 1. It's the subpar quality of next-gen Madden compared to last-gen Madden the last 6 years that added more Madden consumers to that "mob".LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »