Home

Madden 12 grass needs work

This is a discussion on Madden 12 grass needs work within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 49
Madden 12 grass needs work

Hey guys. I am excited about the 3d grass and all, but I have felt like the shade of Maddens grass has really hurt the visuals in their game.If you watch the first video below, notice how in real life, players "pop" off the field. This is because the entire grass is green. With Madden we have been getting green/brown/black/mixed spotted grass for years.

file://

Now look at Madden. The spotty colored grass, that has a "zoomed in" type effect actually makes the game look worse. The players don't pop off the field in gameplay views. Everything just looks a mess.

I am not at all a shoestring, belt buckle kind of guy. The reason the grass color is such a huge deal, is it is truely one of the things making Maddens visuals not pop. The 3d grass sounds great, but the main issue with Madden 11 was the grass shading. I had hoped it was fixed with Madden 12, but this video makes it look closer to Madden11(although a bit better).

You can compare Madden 12 team footage to NFL team footage, and every video will show pure green grass. Grass is green, not spotted brown and black. I know EA wanted to try and add shading/textures, but they did it the wrong way. Here is a clip from Backbreaker. It shows green grass that is pretty well done. Look at the way players pop off the field.

IMO, Madden should loose all those extra funky texture colors, and put that added detail in players and sideline,etc..

Last edited by wheelman990; 06-21-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Madden 12 grass needs work

Really? We're going to go down this road?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Really? We're going to go down this road?
Seriously? You don't think this is a HUGE visual issue? Did you bother watching the videos at all? This isnt a minor thing at all from a visual standpoint. Your are happy playing on a brown and black field?

I have to really question your post. This isnt a facemask post, or a arm band post. This is the number one visual aspect other then the players we look at the ENTIRE time. If the grass doesnt even appear to be real, how can you feel like you playing sim football?

If you really look at Maddens grass, it looks like a painter took his brush and did a collage of green/brown/black spots. This is not a attempt to be rude, the video above clearly shows this.

Last edited by wheelman990; 06-21-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

While it isn't a major issue, I can see the OP's point. It doesn't look realistic at all. What's with the blotches?

I'm more concerned that the players dreads still doesn't look right.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I see green grass. Shades of green grass. I think the additions of the 3D grass will be neat, but Madden also uses Level of Detail for its graphics. If you zoom in and out in a replay, you'll notice that textures and shadows will change. The closer you zoom in on a player, the more detailed he'll get. Something to keep in mind when we play Madden 12. During a typical play, a certain level of detail will display for the grass. During cutscenes, I'm anticipating that the level of detail will go up, and we'll see the true 3D grass.

In the meantime, during plays, we'll see a textured grass plane. And that textured plane I see is green. Is it 100% accurate? No. Do I care? No.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Rookie

wdctaylor's Arena

OVR: 3

I assume that it wouldn't be a hard fix? But you never know, the Madden Dev team makes even the simplest a hard thing to fix.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Banned

I have a couple things that been bugging me for years, and I figured I would slowly post them here. I almost never start a thread here, but I think most of these things I have to mention down the road would really change the game.

The grass color, should be a easy fix. Its just a simple fact green is better then spotted. I also would zoom it out a bit too if were going to get it looking great. I have to admitt I am a older gamer then some. I just cant enjoy a sports game if it doesnt feel real. Things like the grass issue, keep reminding me I am playing a "arcade" game. I can easily over look facemasks, athletic gear,etc...but the gameplay has to feel acurate. And for me, player models, and grass are huge.

Then there is the other question. If they removed some of the color textures, could they use it towards the sideline graphics/annimations to take it another small step forward?

Last edited by wheelman990; 06-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Maybe part of the reason is Maddens zoomed out camera compared to BackBreakers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »