Home

Online Communities Took Precedence Over Online Franchise in Madden NFL 12

This is a discussion on Online Communities Took Precedence Over Online Franchise in Madden NFL 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #81
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Online Communities Took Precedence Over Online Franchise in Madden NFL 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Good point, but mine seems to be escaping everyone...

I am not at all concerned with why people don't play Online Franchise. What matters is that almost no-one does. The lowest THREE game modes account for a COMBINED 3% of the first 40 million games played. That's LOWER than the sales tax in most states. Furthermore, by many admissions, a lot of guys haven't purchased Madden in years. I don't see much logic in EA bending over backward for the consumer that isn't buying or playing the product.

That said... I believe online Communities will revolutionize the way the millions of people who actually buy and play Madden will enjoy the game. If it is done well, it will remove all of the major issues most people have with online play. I'm not sure what effect it's going to have on people that don't buy or play the game.

Til then, where are the guys playing the 3% who buy Madden and play Online Franchise.

How do they feel?

Later
As I've stated in another thread that for some reason the majority just fail to realize...

As you said, EA looked at the first 40 million games played as their barometer to who plays what modes. Just THINK about how flawed that is.

Let's go over a quick scenario, and you can see if I'm wrong with my assumptions.
There were almost 1 million copies sold in week one of Madden 11 release.
When you get home after purchasing madden, what do you play? Most likely it's either a quick match against the computer, a franchise game, or an online game against a random or a friend. Why would you come home and the first thing you play would be online franchise?
You would obviously want to practice, get used to the game, make sure all of your friends who would be in the OF have the game and are also used to the game, etc.

Also don't forget the hundreds of thousands of pirate gamers who still played online and counted in that original 40 million game sample and to me, it seems like if 3% are playing Online Franchise that is a BIG number, not a negligible one.

I'm not sure why this is glossed over? Honestly, do you expect the first 40 million games played (thats not that big of a # in all honesty) to be 50/50 split between OF/Online Ranked? 25/75? Even 10/90?

The fact remains that 3% # to me, means nothing to prove that OF isn't played. Did they ever release final #s after the year was over? Did they ever even investigate what that # would be after say 200 million games played online?

That would be like me releasing a car and saying that for the first 50 miles only 3% of users used their navigation system that in the end gave them wrong directions, but 97% of them used their headlights so we are going to pour all of our R&D on headlight improvements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #82
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5

what ill say on this matter is if they need us to play an obvious half arse attempt at a online franch to tell them they should fix it, its no wonder they have so many unhappy present customers, past customers, possible future customers and is showing that they are indeed 100% responsible and def deserving of all the bad press and feelings that they get across the internet and media. this "logic" or "thought process" that EA uses to determine what they should work on is already flawed out the gate and anyone with half a brain knows this. i literally cant believe that there would be any argument on this at all from any of the great minds here at OS.

the 3% or whatever the true # is of those who played it CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be used a sole indicator of anything. why? because the mode is not equal to any of the other full fledged finished and "working" modes. it was born to fail as it is unfinished out the gate.

how would u take any data from this, except to look at and say why is this # so low compared to the others? once u do that, the immediate response to that is to look at its possible flaws for reason...the biggest most obvious one is its incomplete and not a franchise as its listed as being. the next step should be EA saying "ok fellas, lets get it where it needs to be and complete it, then do further analysis to get real #'s that mean something". did they do that? NOPE...they proceeded to infuriate their customers by using that flawed 3% as a real reason, thus playing us (well educated customers) as fools, and further alienating its customer base with a shallow excuse that anyone could see thru in one sec.

until online franch equals the offline franch or is at least offering 80% of the offline franch offerings thus giving it a right to even be called online franch, can any data be used as a barometer to guage or come to any "real" conclusions...point blank period!! THEN AND ONLY THEN, can they truly say nobodys playing it, so lets not waste any more time and R&D on it.
----------------------
Madden Since '92

Last edited by MMurda; 07-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #83
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

the question is this who builds something and only does it barebones, imagine getting a car with a emergency brake that didnt work because the car manufacturer said only 8% of car owners use this feature?? and when you wanted to use it, it didnt work properly, you would be outraged correct? the point is if you have the feature make it work or dont include it, how about madden take a number of games still playing online franchise, curious to what those numbers would be. and the reason online franchise got no play in the beginning of the cycle?? needed roster updates, and had to wait for the first patch, i can stand a game or two against randoms but when this game came out it had wayyyyyyyyyy too many issues to start a chise with. so of course no one played in the beginning. This is simple EA build it correctly or remove it, but dont put it in barebones and leave it the same.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
TNT, no offense, but you obviously have never played Online Franchise. It ISNT an online franchise.
You're right. I've never played it and dare I say, I'm never gonna play it. EA could literally leave all the Franchise modes off of my Madden disc and I'd never notice.

I play 1v1 and 3v3 online and it wouldn't matter if there are changes from one year to the next or not.

Later
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #85
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Good point. I think that's where the bulk of my frustration is. Two things that year were platformed that I considered a green light to buy the game (Online franchise and Pro-Tak). Both of them haven't been touched. Now you can argue that the new tackling system is another step but Pro-Tak isn't spoken of anymore.
Good point. What happened to pro-tak?

As for TNT I don't know if you are clueless or just being ridiculous. Either way you idea about playing a broken mode to slowly change EA is sad.

It is about money from what I hear. The communities thing is super cheap to implement.

Online Franchise for Madden would be EXTREMELY expensive. The amount of serve space and power that would be required for trades, salary cap, rookies and other franchise elements would be huge. NCAA had like 50,000 online dynasties started in the first couple weeks. Madden would have maybe 5 times that. Server space would cost a lot. I am sure EA decided to see if communities would placate people before having to invest millions more into serves and the equipment to go with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrice4949

As for TNT I don't know if you are clueless or just being ridiculous. Either way you idea about playing a broken mode to slowly change EA is sad.

It is about money from what I hear. The communities thing is super cheap to implement.

Online Franchise for Madden would be EXTREMELY expensive. The amount of serve space and power that would be required for trades, salary cap, rookies and other franchise elements would be huge. NCAA had like 50,000 online dynasties started in the first couple weeks. Madden would have maybe 5 times that. Server space would cost a lot. I am sure EA decided to see if communities would placate people before having to invest millions more into serves and the equipment to go with.
JerryRice4949,

Once again, my point is missed... All throughout this post I've mentioned two things:

1) Numbers are incredibly low for usage of Online Franchise
2) EA uses those numbers to determine where to allot their resources

If communities is indeed less expensive, it requires less resources. Time, money, equipment, and developers are all resources that are used in accordance with the decisions EA makes early in the development cycle - all based on how we play the game.

What we tell EA and have told EA since Online Franchise was added is that collectively, WE DON'T PLAY IT.

For those fans that still want to point to NCAA as proof that the mode would get used seem to overlook that fact that Madden and NCAA have different target markets and VERY LITTLE OVERLAP of 10%.

I also find that much of this argument for more people playing Madden's Online Franchise depends on what we imagine to be gamer habits while numbers - which are concrete - tell us otherwise.

Given our actual gaming habits (not the "what if" numbers) it makes perfectly logical business sense to add communities to improve the mode millions of gamers play while tabling the other modes until later.

Besides... According to your post, Communities seems to require less resources to improve the mode and it's usage exponentially by eliminating the most common objections to online play and offline franchise. Any theoretical increase in Online Franchise participation would be just that - THEORY.

No one really knows how many Madden players will flock to Online Franchise once it gets the dev time it needs. But even if there are 5x as many games played as now, it's still probably going to be less than 10% of the total games played because the 3% we were quoted combines the three least used modes usage together...

Too many resources + too few playing the mode = Update other things.

Simple... But only when there's no emotional connection. I can't be the only one that sees the correlation... So dare I say again - If you like the idea of online franchise PLAY IT. Otherwise, it's painfully low usage numbers might be seen as a reason to pull the plug entirely...

Personally, I'd rather have online PRACTICE mode 10x more than Online Franchise. Dare I say, it might get more play in it's 1st year than the past 3 years of online franchise combine (since we're throwing out baseless numbers and ignoring the real ones).

Later
Old 07-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #87
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:

online franchise is NOT broken. It works just fine with what is there, it is not unplayable or bug filled. It may not be up to your standards but the game mode itself works just fine.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #88
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:

Sorry, but this is just incorrect on pretty much all counts. The server code is built to scale lots and lots of users. There is software all over the world that is designed to do this. I've worked on some of it, it's not any more or less expensive, it's all about how well you build it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »