Home

Madden ratings: the underlying problem

This is a discussion on Madden ratings: the underlying problem within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden ratings: the underlying problem

I will try to be brief on this for my sake because I can get easily carried away about the foundational issues I see with Madden and I don't want to come across like I am bashing the game.

That said, I believe, like a stated in another thread, the issue is EA needs a universal conversion system for scaling real life data into Madden. The universal is important because EA makes a NCAA football game that has high school recruits also.

Then they can use the Madden ratings system, for each football level. So, a universal standard for tangibles like Speed, Agility, Jump, Strength, Acceleration, Stamina, Kicking Power and Throwing Power, would apply, no matter the players football level (High School/Collegiate/NFL) or position (QB/OL/DB). For intangibles like Awareness, Pass blocking, Run Blocking, Man Coverage, etc, they could use the Madden ratings as a universal system for ratings conversion but then scale them differently for each football level.

For example, in the universal system/Pro level, a QB could have a 40 AWR and 50 THA but for the High School level that could scale to 80 AWR and 85 THA. Not trying to be exact but I hope people get the point.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

big deal,

i really love that idea and I think it makes a lot of sense.

im going to remember this for when the time is right

thanks!

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibs7

awr to me has never been a important stat
Because you control all 22 players on the field at one time? Man, you're talented.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

also you have to look at the plays/play calling and our bad habits, most players blitz leaving no safety help against 3wr thats almost un heard of in real life and we are bailed out but the same cheating methods we acuse the cpu of using(DB route jumping/spidey swats/kung fu grip DB tackling...

if they tightened up these areas we would have ro re learn alot of tendencies we have now...

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Because you control all 22 players on the field at one time? Man, you're talented.

Bucky,

That's a good point because you can't control every player. However IMO user control separates the best from the rest in madden. For great user control you need specific ratings.

Awr isn't a rating that effects user control at all Bc the user is the players awr. Also HB's and qb's are the most used and controlled players and they get the most touches from the user player .

"user awareness" is a very important "rating"

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

I feel you on those issues - I think 1v1 cover 0 situations were great in madden 11 and even better in madden 12

www.MaddenTips.com

Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

anyone wanna suggest ways to fix how the ratings are for players after a few simmed years...

i have no complaints on ratings for when game ships really...its mostly after a few years
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1
anyone wanna suggest ways to fix how the ratings are for players after a few simmed years...

i have no complaints on ratings for when game ships really...its mostly after a few years
This is a great question but how EA says player progression in Madden 12 will be handled seems like it may address the issue.

"Progression Tuning
Another one of AJ’s tasks was focusing on progression and making it more realistic this year.
Last year, players would go up automatically regardless of their season stats. This year’s tuning is much more predictable. Players will go up or down based on their performance and age.
One thing to remember is that players are judged against players around their same age when deciding who should progress or not. So, if a rookie running back rushes for 500 yards and that is the best among his peers, he will progress the most in his age group.
Most players who are 32+ will decline every year unless they had the best years vs. their peers. If they did, they will typically stay the same or go down slightly.
Players in the prime of their careers can go up or down, but they can’t go up as much as young players or down as much as old players. And…yes, you guessed it. They are also judged only against the players around their age." http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/blog/franchise-mode

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »