Home

Madden ratings: the underlying problem

This is a discussion on Madden ratings: the underlying problem within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Madden ratings: the underlying problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
Until they put in my coaching suggestions or some variation thereof, it doesn't make too much sense to not base progression on stats at all. Right now, the only non-stats thing they can base it on is age and potential. They need to introduce more variables (coaching, systems, work ethic) before that can even consider moving towards a completely non-stats-based progression system.
It's not at all that I disagree with you though.
The main reason for implementing DPP was to differentiate a scrub from a star. They tried it by spreading ratings but that seemed to feed the speed kills scenario. SGibs and I both were at the last community event and i noticed that on the builds we worked with, speed was not the biggest contributing factor in the outcome of the game. In Madden 11 if you put random burner in the slot at WR it was lights out... Now with DPP you wilk see that same receiver drop balls and run routes incorrectly due to his confidence and other special ratings. Don't get me wrong though, Desean Jackson is a beast but it didn't seem like speed was dominant at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

great thread, we started a roster project last year but many of us took back the game because of how bad it was with the total lack of defense. its our premise that too-high ratings hurts gameplay (gameplay guys) as well as progression (franchise players) we use a 3 year window of stats to slot players and consistency means the most in our system so one-year wonders aren't rated too highly. it was our intention to get 32 like-minded individuals (one per team) and do what donny moore does...but for free.

our scale rates no higher than a 96 (97-99 is reserved for all-time greats)
90-96 elite (peyton manning, 96)
85+ considered very good (james farrior,85)
80-84 good (hines ward, 84)
70-79 average starter (jeremy maclin, 79)
second string/special teams standouts/first rounders (60-69)
3rd string/special teams/second rounders (50-59)
3rd rounders/ special teams only (40-49)
anything after third rd/UDFA/end of roster players like long-snappers(30-39)

we've better gameplay for franchise/gameplay guys and a much more realistic brand of football. we're looking to assemble a team of objective, non-homer guys to rate teams they can watch every sunday. we update our rating quarterly (every four weeks) during the season. fee free to PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
The main reason for implementing DPP was to differentiate a scrub from a star. They tried it by spreading ratings but that seemed to feed the speed kills scenario. SGibs and I both were at the last community event and i noticed that on the builds we worked with, speed was not the biggest contributing factor in the outcome of the game. In Madden 11 if you put random burner in the slot at WR it was lights out... Now with DPP you wilk see that same receiver drop balls and run routes incorrectly due to his confidence and other special ratings. Don't get me wrong though, Desean Jackson is a beast but it didn't seem like speed was dominant at all.
Not... sure what your post had to do with my post that you quoted. My post was somewhat off-topic and your was decidedly on-topic. In any case I'll respond: I had actually forgotten about the impact player traits and DPP are going to have on how players perform. This is going to be fun!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
This is highly disappointing and completely unrealistic. Realistic progression is never based on stats. There are a myriad of problems with this. The bench player that you are trying to groom doesn't improve because he doesn't get on the field much. Typically in madden the LE gets all the sacks and stats and the RE doesn't. The LE improves but the RE goes down. Stats never drives progression in the real world, progression drives stats. Stats based progression is completely backwards and unrealistic.
It's hard to argue against this, lol.

However, they have to do something until the foundation of how progression is done changes. Like AJ stated in that quote Argoos posted, it's the best he could get done this year. Considering this is his first year at EA, I give him the benefit of the doubt and believe there will be something better for Madden 13.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Not... sure what your post had to do with my post that you quoted. My post was somewhat off-topic and your was decidedly on-topic. In any case I'll respond: I had actually forgotten about the impact player traits and DPP are going to have on how players perform. This is going to be fun!
Lol yeah sorry about that bro I hit quote out of habit instead of reply
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 13

haha yeah I figured that was it. I was just being a smartass.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #31
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I am a big proponent of the APF2k8 style or rating players. Hidden ratings and special skills, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Until they put in my coaching suggestions or some variation thereof, it doesn't make too much sense to not base progression on stats at all. Right now, the only non-stats thing they can base it on is age and potential. They need to introduce more variables (coaching, systems, work ethic) before that can even consider moving towards a completely non-stats-based progression system.
It's not at all that I disagree with you though.
It's just that stats based progression is just a bad way to do it and taking progression in the wrong direction. But I agree, they need to add a lot of other variables already discussed in some of your threads to make progression work correctly.

I just want to be vocal about a progression system so that maybe it will have a chance of being implemented. I'm sure you understand.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »