Home

How much bigger than other sports games is Madden? In terms of sales...etc

This is a discussion on How much bigger than other sports games is Madden? In terms of sales...etc within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: How much bigger than other sports games is Madden? In terms of sales...etc

Just jotted down a few numbers of vgchartz.com. I used only ps3/xbox sales to save time.

Fifa 11 sold 7.9 mil

Madden 11 sold 4.6 mil
Madden 10 sold 5 mil

NBA 2k11 sold 3.4 mil (this was more than double its usual)
NBA 2k10 sold 1.5 mil

NBA Live 10 sold .8 mil

NHL 11 sold 1 mil

MLB the Show 11 sold .4 mil (ps3 only)

Basically you've got Fifa at the top, Madden a distant second, NBA 2k selling roughly half of what madden does (if they have a good year) and every other sports game getting a fraction of that action.

That is unless you want to count wii sports' 77 million sales since releasing in 2006 or wii sports resort that has 28 million sales since releasing 2009.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Just jotted down a few numbers of vgchartz.com. I used only ps3/xbox sales to save time.

Fifa 11 sold 7.9 mil

Madden 11 sold 4.6 mil
Madden 10 sold 5 mil

NBA 2k11 sold 3.4 mil (this was more than double its usual)
NBA 2k10 sold 1.5 mil

NBA Live 10 sold .8 mil

NHL 11 sold 1 mil

MLB the Show 11 sold .4 mil (ps3 only)

Basically you've got Fifa at the top, Madden a distant second, NBA 2k selling roughly half of what madden does (if they have a good year) and every other sports game getting a fraction of that action.

That is unless you want to count wii sports' 77 million sales since releasing in 2006 or wii sports resort that has 28 million sales since releasing 2009.
But soccer is so boring because its low scoring, who wants to play a game where you never score
Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
But soccer is so boring because its low scoring, who wants to play a game where you never score
About 8 million people
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
We always hear that Madden is the crown jewel of sports gaming in terms of sales, development team size, marketing dollars spent...etc. Is this true? How much bigger than NBA2k, MLB the Show, NHL and FIFA is it? Is it by far EA Sports biggest title?
I see someone's blinded by EA's hype, Madden is EA's most hyped title..

FIFA rules EA though, tbh

edit: although I wonder if Madden's declining quality (I think this year I didn't even last a whole week before returning my Madden 12 rental it sucked that badly) is a result of the suits at EA realizing that FIFA is quickly now becoming their cash cow..

I mean, if you look at it.. even the FIFA advertisements are more prominent/star-laden than Madden..

imo Madden is all hype and been living off its past, it's been dead so long it just sucks that there's no other way to get your football fix
Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Pro

Qdiddy's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
We hear that Madden is the crown jewel of EA because without Madden - there is no EA!

History lesson:

EA signed a deal with Sega for it's titles to appear EXCLUSIVELY on the Sega in the initial console launch (after the Apple Madden in 1989). That move built Sega into a legitimate contender in the console market because people bought the system to play Madden.

Folks like myself who love gaming solely because of the Madden titles still make our hardware purchasing decisions based on which version of Madden we want to play. It's the reason consoles ALWAYS want Madden as a launch title. Without Madden the consoles don't sell.

I'm not sure any other game, except maybe Halo, has the same type of relationship between the title and console sales. Including FIFA. That said, FIFA sells more titles worldwide because the world plays soccer. Outside of the US, there are very few nations with an abundance of football fans.

Simply put... Madden built EA into an empire and changed the landscape of video gaming because it made it kool for jocks to play video games.

Later
This simply isn't true way more systems are sold based on RPG's, not a big fan myself but if you remember the NES dominated because of Final fantasy and Zelda, then the #1 reason the ps1 took off so much was the exclusive square contract as well as ps2. Also all sports games suck on the wii believe me nobody bought that system because of madden. Yet for the longest time it was out selling ps3/360 3:1.

With that said the ONLY reason madden is still a huge success is because there is no competition, the name brand and the super hype and ad campaigns. When 2k was making football games the sales comparisons were really close, and 2k was just starting to hit their stride, proof being that so many people still play 2k5 over madden year after year. They had elements in the game that madden is just now getting to.
Syracuse Orange

XB1 GT: H8ter Nation79
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiddy
This simply isn't true way more systems are sold based on RPG's, not a big fan myself but if you remember the NES dominated because of Final fantasy and Zelda, then the #1 reason the ps1 took off so much was the exclusive square contract as well as ps2. Also all sports games suck on the wii believe me nobody bought that system because of madden. Yet for the longest time it was out selling ps3/360 3:1.

With that said the ONLY reason madden is still a huge success is because there is no competition, the name brand and the super hype and ad campaigns. When 2k was making football games the sales comparisons were really close, and 2k was just starting to hit their stride, proof being that so many people still play 2k5 over madden year after year. They had elements in the game that madden is just now getting to.
LOL @ this statement. If I recall correctly, NFL 2k5 was sold for $20 when it came out and still couldn't outsell Madden. So what does that tell u. LOL
Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
Pro

Qdiddy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoonie05
LOL @ this statement. If I recall correctly, NFL 2k5 was sold for $20 when it came out and still couldn't outsell Madden. So what does that tell u. LOL
It tells me I wasn't getting ripped off like I am with madden and that madden today is still behind a $20 game sold six years ago. Just because madden sold more doesn't make it better, it's the name brand not the game that is selling it the, and lack of competition now.
Syracuse Orange

XB1 GT: H8ter Nation79
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiddy
It tells me I wasn't getting ripped off like I am with madden and that madden today is still behind a $20 game sold six years ago. Just because madden sold more doesn't make it better, it's the name brand not the game that is selling it the, and lack of competition now.
That is your opinion but Madden still sells regardless whether u like or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »