Home

Run/Pass Commit In Madden NFL 13 - Make it More Realistic

This is a discussion on Run/Pass Commit In Madden NFL 13 - Make it More Realistic within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #129
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Run/Pass Commit In Madden NFL 13 - Make it More Realistic

All of these features need to be taken out of the NCAA series:

--Run/pass commit
-- Jump the snap
-- Telling the CPU to automatically attempt ball strips on every tackle

These are all just unfun, gimmicky gameplay mechanics that people abuse like crazy online, to the point that it ruins the head-to-head online play for NCAA.

The ratings should determine how players react on the field, not some cheesy feature that overrides all the ratings and turns everyone on the field into supermen.

Last edited by jyoung; 06-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #130
Rookie

GuideMe1's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
All of these features need to be taken out of the NCAA series:

--Run/pass commit
-- Jump the snap
-- Telling the CPU to automatically attempt ball strips on every tackle

These are all just unfun, gimmicky gameplay mechanics that people abuse like crazy online, to the point that it ruins the head-to-head online play for NCAA.

The ratings should determine how players react on the field, not some cheesy feature that overrides all the ratings and turns everyone on the field into supermen.
I absolutely couldn't have said it better! EA should seriously take a look at the drastic decline in online head-2-head matches since they've added this gimmick glitch.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #131
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Revisiting this thread right now. After having looked over a great deal of the E3 videos for Madden 13 one thing I notice and I know the reasoning will be that it is on Pro mode and that might be good reasoning. I'm just going based on Madden 10 when I went to Tiburon it was easy to run the football to the outside in the alpha build. We played on Pro then as well. When the game was released Strong Close Off Tackle and Toss were in full force. I just don't find it coincidental that it is easy to get to the outside in the alpha videos for Madden 13. Going back to my initial post if they would actually place run defensive principles in place then this would not be a huge burden and you would not have to sell out your defense in an attempt to deal with this stuff. I'm not saying it will be a problem, but based on recent history, I'm going to take into consideration that it might be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #132
Rookie

Allpro1414's Arena

OVR: 0
Are you guys serious this feature has been in NCAA for the longest this isnt news.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #133
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allpro1414
Are you guys serious this feature has been in NCAA for the longest this isnt news.
It is news for Madden this year and what I described in the first post is in neither NCAA or Madden.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #134
Pro

OVR: 9

Didn't Madden used to have this?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #135
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy9386
Didn't Madden used to have this?
Run commit yes. They just need to get fundamental principles of run defense in instead of relying on gimmicky things like this, which is what the thread is about. I got another one going up today on another topic that is interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #136
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
In episode 230 of Madden Daily, Sgibs revealed that run/pass commit is in Madden 13. Check the video out here:

Also I've already submitted this to the appropriate folks at EA. But this is where the community comes in. If they don't see a big reaction they are not going to address it. So you guys need to chime in. I don't want the Run/Pass Commit in Madden 13 to be like NCAA which is an all or nothing affair and which also does not focus on gap control/force/containment. To me this is EA's chance right here to do something really great. To see run/pass commit in action in Madden 13 see this video: Browns vs Seahawks.

7:18 in this video you see run commit left. I don't like it like this. I don't like the complete nullification of the defensive play called and having everyone sell out. Here is what I sent to the devs.
Can you guys make the following tweaks:

1. The run commit only activates against run plays. This way it operates more like a run fit, which is more realistic than having complete sell outs against the run and plays into their read and react defense theme. Allow Play Recognition to govern whether guys bite on Play Action.

2. When committing left or right, edge defenders; DE's and 3-4 OLB should step up the field and set the edge.

3. All other defenders in the front seven, with the exception of the backside DE or OLB, should simply attack the next gap over.

4. Backside DE/OLB should step up field first as if he is looking for boot action or reverse, then trail the play.

So for the 3-4 for instance you would have something like this

In the above diagram you have the defense in the base 3-4 with the DE's in 5 and the NT head up center. As the diagram shows, all the guys are going to do is hit the next gap over. So if I go run commit right then the DLine should look like this from left to right. B A C. RDE takes backside B gap; NT takes right side A gap; LDE takes right side C gap. RILB has backside A gap, and LILB has front side B gap. Edge players step up and set on the right side; back side player steps into the back field checking for backside boot, reverse and playing cutback. So that would actually look like the following:

Notice the NT LDE and RDE. Based on their alignment they are only going to fire to the next gap over. Also whether the offense runs right or left, there will always be a backside player.

Let's take some other examples from the 4-3 Stack and Over

4-3 Stack

Run commit left here (might be different since the direction is based on looking at the screen and this diagram is at the back of the defense, but you should get the picture)would have Duckett/Seawright firing to C, Jospeh firing to A, Strahan stepping up field to set edge, Osi stepping up field backside looking for boot, reverse, if neither are there trail the play down the line. Pierce has left A then scrape, Arrington left B then scrape (I only advocate this for Madden since all they can probably do is get guys to fire to the next gap over. In real life Duckett Seawright would have B and Arrington would have C) Emmons backside B then scrape.

4-3 Over

Let's go run commit to the right from the backside of the defense. Strahan, backside contain player looking for boot, reverse and then just trailing play; Joseph to A; Duckett/Seawright to B; Osi Fire to C. Arrington checks C; Pierce Check A; In Madden Emmons would be on the line of scrimmage so, Fire up field and set edge.

I would also hope it is clear that run commit does not automatically mean that I stop the run even if I have the "right" fit call. It should mean a great deal given certain offensive plays. For tosses it should work great if I have the right call. But against a wide zone, it should be less automatic because if the linebackers run outta there too quick, cutback lanes should be there, especially if the back side guy over pursues.

This is very important. Please do not have the defenders just arbitrarily running right and left. Have them hit gaps, step up and set the edge, play backside contain, pursuit. This is a chance to do something really nice for run defense IMO.

Pass commit. Can this be used to change the rush angles and engage points of the DE's/3-4 OLB's with the OT's. Can we get the engage point much deeper and closer to the Qb as he is dropping?
Why should the 2 edge DL/LB be the one's to "set the edge?" They are not necessarily the force defenders just because they're lined up as the EMOLS. The force players are determined by the coverage, not the front (which is exactly why i don't like the tiered playcalling idea/method).

If the edge rusher is not the force player, he should be involved in the slant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »