Home

Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13

This is a discussion on Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13

So far in the demo I've noticed it's almost impossible to throw a pass directly over the linebacker (especially the MLB). It seems like it happens when a slot or TE runs a seam/post and the MLB is directly between the QB and the target area for the pass.

I was under the assumption (perhaps wrong) that super linebackers were not going to make it into the game.

However, every time I throw the pass described in the first paragraph the LB instantly jumps on the button-press and intercepts the ball with amazing leaping ability.

While this isn't impossible, consider the following: The linebacker is 7-10 yards from the line of scrimmage and the passing target is 25-30 yards downfield. It seems as if it doesn't matter if i tap the button to throw, the pass trajectory automatically flattens out to match up with the animation necessary for the LB to intercept the ball.

Maybe it's not a "super linebacker" problem, and more of a pre-determined outcome issue where the game creates a sequence of events to force the interception to happen.

I've seen this on some passes to the hook/curl zones as well when a defender is playing the zone inside the receiver. I'll throw a pass to a guy running an out or hook/curl yet the pass will be to the receiver's inside shoulder directly into where the defender is standing.

So a few questions...

How many of you are still seeing this issue?

For those that have the full retail version, is it still a problem (if you're seeing it)?

Finally, was this something that was even being addressed this year?

Last edited by jmik58; 08-22-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Pre-determined Outcomes (A.K.A. Super Linebackers) in M13

I've had it happen once so far in the demo. I've probably played 20 or so games as well.

I think a few things you can do to remove the LB:

Move the pocket to get the LB in a different angle

Pump Fake

have someone cross in front of the LB so he follows them shortly and opens up the seam.

Try to throw the ball to the TEs back shoulder or hold the button for a second and release.

Lob the ball in there.

In my own experience with the DEMO I've noticed some really realistic read and react plays as well.
I've fit balls right passed finger tips, thrown balls around defenders that weren't looking at the ball, and have fit in some balls in some very small windows with the new trajectory/ passing control.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Rookie

bucknut88's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyEaglesFly3
I've had it happen once so far in the demo. I've probably played 20 or so games as well.

I think a few things you can do to remove the LB:

Move the pocket to get the LB in a different angle

Pump Fake

have someone cross in front of the LB so he follows them shortly and opens up the seam.

Try to throw the ball to the TEs back shoulder or hold the button for a second and release.

Lob the ball in there.

In my own experience with the DEMO I've noticed some really realistic read and react plays as well.
I've fit balls right passed finger tips, thrown balls around defenders that weren't looking at the ball, and have fit in some balls in some very small windows with the new trajectory/ passing control.
I agree 100%. I've had it happen one time as well. You just can't fire it in the over the Lb. you need to put some touch on it. As well as a few other things like you suggested.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

I agree with you guys about the great addition of the trajectories and total-control passing. But I mentioned this previously -- short of lobbing a blimp-ball, everything I throw turns into a low rocket pass that gets picked off.

I have yet to see an animation where the linebacker makes this jump and misses. If I could do a replay you would see that the LB starts his jump the instant I press the button to throw.

Again, I'm not pressing for a rocket throw, but the ball comes out flat and directly to the hands of the LB anyways.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

OVR: 0

I had it happen to me a few times so I understand your frustration but like everyone has said you can try a multitude of things to keep the LB from doing that.

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1

When you know you are throwing the seam, or attempting to throw it, move your QB back more. Make him go on more of a drop back, should help.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut88
I agree 100%. I've had it happen one time as well. You just can't fire it in the over the Lb. you need to put some touch on it. As well as a few other things like you suggested.
Nah, I don't think "Super Linebackers" are in this game. As a matter a fact I myself have only been picked off once in over 7-8 games by a linebacker and there are times when I gambled and thought maybe I should have been intercepted. And I'm positive had I made the same throw in previous maddens it would have went the other way haha.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

I've played 10 games and for the first time last night intercepted a pass with a linebacker. I regularly throw passes over the mlb's to wr's and tight ends, super linebackers are not in the game.

Mods please close this thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »